• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 15, 2011 - 07:44 PM

I hope you get it sorted out. An 1855 is a mighty nice tractor! Congratulations.

#17 Enginerod OFFLINE  

Enginerod

• Member No: 1748
  • 205 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted November 15, 2011 - 07:52 PM

Thanks JDBrian, I'm hoping I like it at least as much as the Kubota G5200.

#18 Enginerod OFFLINE  

Enginerod

• 205 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted November 19, 2011 - 09:47 PM

Update, got the onan started, ran it for about 15 minutes and it is not getting hot, seems to run very well, hydraulics work and the hydro seems very strong. I know this because I hit the hydro pedal while it was still ratchet strapped to the trailer, it pulled hard against the straps and spun the flat tires LOL. I think it may have run hot for the PO because the exhaust pipes connecting to the engine are loose and alot of the exhaust is coming out there and with the air filter on it would be sucking this very hot air into the engine and really boosting combustion temps. The pipes only had worm gear hose clamps on them, I'll go tomorrow and get the right clamps. Now Ijust need 4 tires. Bill.

#19 slingblade OFFLINE  

slingblade

• Member No: 4072
  • 2 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted November 19, 2011 - 10:59 PM

Good luck on the 1855, I just got mine running today. It ain't purty but it's built like a brick shiphouse!

#20 Enginerod OFFLINE  

Enginerod

• 205 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted November 20, 2011 - 07:41 PM

Ran the 1855 a bunch more today, runs great except the choke has to be partially on. I guess I will have to clean the carb and knock out the plugs covering the mixture screws. Hydro seems very strong and the three point will easily pick up a friend of mine and me, 248lbs for me and about 270 for my friend. Now I feel safe to order the tires for it, tru-powers and vredesteins! Also I was wondering how hard they steer, mine has 4 flat tires that are totally cracked open so I cant tell. Hope it steers as easy as the G5200.

#21 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted November 20, 2011 - 07:44 PM

They have stronger steering boxes than all the rest of the GT Massey's, so should have easy enough steering. I can't really remember, as I drove mine only a very short time before I added power steering, which you do need if mounting a front loader.

#22 Enginerod OFFLINE  

Enginerod

• 205 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted November 20, 2011 - 08:12 PM

Well either the Kubota or the 1855 is getting a loader I hope. So I may be doing the power steering conversion. Which tractor will handle the loader better in your opinion.

#23 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted November 20, 2011 - 08:15 PM

Well either the Kubota or the 1855 is getting a loader I hope. So I may be doing the power steering conversion. Which tractor will handle the loader better in your opinion.

Either would handle a loader, BUT with the Massey having the 2 speed rear diff, it's hands down the best choice.

#24 Enginerod OFFLINE  

Enginerod

• 205 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted November 20, 2011 - 08:20 PM

I should have thought of that( the 2 speed diff.)LOL. But that little diesel always seems so strong and uses VERY little fuel. Are the 20 horse onans stronger than that diesel? I have no experience with them.

#25 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted November 20, 2011 - 08:31 PM

I should have thought of that( the 2 speed diff.)LOL. But that little diesel always seems so strong and uses VERY little fuel. Are the 20 horse onans stronger than that diesel? I have no experience with them.

That 14hp Kubota will give little up to a 20hp Onan, but you are right about the fuel, as the Onans love gasoline.....using almost twice the gallons as the diesel. Guess you just need to rip the diesel out of the Kubota & slip it into the Massey!!! Best of both worlds then! That's why I wish I had the time to shoehorn my Yanmar into my Massey w/FEL!

#26 Enginerod OFFLINE  

Enginerod

• 205 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted November 20, 2011 - 08:58 PM

The diesel swap actually crossed my mind but the kubota is my grass cutting and snowblowing machine. It really moves the snow with its 48" single stage. My name is Bill by the way. Thanks for the timely responses.

#27 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted November 20, 2011 - 10:27 PM

The diesel swap actually crossed my mind but the kubota is my grass cutting and snowblowing machine. It really moves the snow with its 48" single stage. My name is Bill by the way. Thanks for the timely responses.

Yeah, I understand not wanting to lose the 5200. I have a G4200H and love it! It mows my yard immediately around my home. Does such a nice job. I use my 72" cut JD F935 for all my farmyard areas.
Nice to help out Bill. By the way, you can make a signature line to include your name & more if you like.