22 replies to this topic

#16 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted November 15, 2011 - 11:10 PM

What do you think of the color Jim?, I think the Penny's Mtd's were mostly that sorta teal color with the red insert, and this one has the high grade muffler and shield , I've seen the donaldson muffler on other Mtd's ,but never the shield on anything but Whites and Columbias . and none of Dads litature shows them having it

#17 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,516 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted November 15, 2011 - 11:49 PM

I'm about 90% sure that the yellow is the original paint. I've seen several others that color. The reason it sticks in my mind is because I do not like that shade of yellow.

#18 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted November 16, 2011 - 03:33 AM

I'm not doubting that it's not the original color, we don't see many around here and the ones i have were gear drives and were painted teal , maybe they did the hydros different. Like back in the spring i bought a beautiful 800 series with the wizard name, but its yellow, and around here they were red as far as we can find out
My grandfather worked for Raub supply ,and they were the Mtd distributor for the mid alantic region. We have found way more gear drives in this area, but i see that most of the GTtalk guys have mostly 990's, so i guess different parts of the country changes things.
As a side note , i went through my Gates belt book, and Mtd was marketed by over 100 other brand names.

#19 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted November 16, 2011 - 01:32 PM

What do you think of the color Jim?, I think the Penny's Mtd's were mostly that sorta teal color with the red insert, and this one has the high grade muffler and shield , I've seen the donaldson muffler on other Mtd's ,but never the shield on anything but Whites and Columbias . and none of Dads litature shows them having it

Well I can't say that I've seen a whole lot of Penneys tractors, but all the MTDs I've seen were that yellow with simple generic "Garden Tractor" text on the hood. I've seen both hydro and gear that same color. Not sure about the muffler shield. I haven't seen enough of them to assign a pattern to it. I'd swear I've seen them on name brands other than White and Columbia, but I wouldn't swear to it.

#20 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted November 16, 2011 - 01:57 PM

... and this one has the high grade muffler and shield , I've seen the donaldson muffler on other Mtd's ,but never the shield on anything but Whites and Columbias . and none of Dads litature shows them having it

I'm getting way off topic here but I just looked through all the 990 manuals. I've downloaded all the different years' manuals from MTD's site because I get asked about this stuff a lot on another forum. (I know.... I need a life.... but this stuff interests me)
Anyway, new theory on the mufflers, I think it's model year related more than brand related. The '71-'75 parts manuals show that style muffler. The '76-'84 manuals show a round canister style muffler. Only the '74 and '75 manuals show the heat shield. They re-use pictures in the body of every manual so some have the shield and some don't. The '71 and '72 manuals show the early style muffler in the parts section but there are pictures in the op section of tractors with flat pancake mufflers!

We now return you to your regularly scheduled "what is this" thread.

#21 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted November 16, 2011 - 02:22 PM

I'm about 90% sure that the yellow is the original paint. I've seen several others that color. The reason it sticks in my mind is because I do not like that shade of yellow.

All the JCP 990's I've ever seen were this same yellow color.

#22 tractorchick OFFLINE  

tractorchick

Tractorholic

• Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 284
  • 359 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted November 17, 2011 - 11:31 PM

I will send George the article we did on one of the Penny's tractors. he can post it and you can see what it looks like restored. you can prob even call the guy who owns it!

#23 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 18, 2011 - 11:19 AM

The MTD990 and 960 are both nice tractors and are really good candidates for a restoration.