Which Filter??

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mattre69 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 7426
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted November 14, 2011 - 04:08 PM

I've been reading and find differing opinions on which hydro filter to use for a MF16. The ones I see are Wix 51410, 51307 and 57102. Which one??? I have found on here that I should use 30w motor oil and I assume that synthetic would be best? I know my zero turn recommends Mobil 15w-50 synthetic. I don't have an owners manual yet and the one on here is only every other page. It does say for severe duty 10W-40 motor oil. Thanks for the help. I'm want to get it ready to push snow this winter and make a new garden next spring.

#2 ducky OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,531 Thanks
  • 3,781 posts

Posted November 14, 2011 - 07:06 PM

Wix 51410, 21 micro and 57102 10 micro both have no bypass so you can never bypass unfiltered oil to the hydro. Both get filters.
The 57102 is 10 micro so it will take out much finer particles and still flows 7-9 GPM well with in the flow rates of Sunstrand and Eaton. This is the only filter I use and change it on a semi-annual bases. Actually I use Fleet Guard/Cummins with the same specs just because we can get a good price, they have "Stratospo" technoligy they are on my way home. I do change the filter after 25 hour on a new or rebuild and then go to the semi-annual change. I have never had a system starve for oil on this schedule and only very minor lapping of the plates / if any at all on a tear down.

51307 21 micro and has an 8-11 Lbs bypass. This will keep the system lubed but with unfiltered oil if the filter is ever not serviced as it should be. Not a good filter for a Hydro that does not like dirt AT ALL. I would sooner solve your SQUEAL from the lack of maintenance of the above filter than solve that LACK of traction due to a wiped Hydro from allowing the 51307 feed your hydro unfiltered oil.

#3 mattre69 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 7426
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted November 15, 2011 - 07:36 PM

Thanks a lot for the info. I agree about not feeding unfiltered oil to the hydro. I assume that when cold the filter will still allow enough oil through??? Also, what are the specs on the original filter (microns filtration and bypass or not)?