Garden Tractor Forums banner

on a dead run(almost)

3K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  Lauber1 
#1 ·
#7 ·
Thanks for the video. That was fun to watch. I'd love to have one of those big two-wheelers!

#8 ·
I dream about getting one of those someday. I am a member of a German walk behind tractor forum and those are the tractors they got over there. You'd be amazed the loads they'll pull. One guy was pulling good sized shrub stumps with his.

#9 ·
MH81 said:
Those are some neat machines. They are really hoofing it on the dead head, aren't they?
:ditto:

#10 ·
Some of those European machines are quite impressive to watch on ytube, and its amazing seeing all they do with them. I've never seen any specs on em as far as physical size , tire sizes, weight though, but Im sure they must dwarft a Gravely or any other machine we can obtain here in the states.

#11 ·
I agree, the Europeans have the Two wheeled tracors down to a science. Most impressive and they do pretty much anything with them you can do with a four wheel tractor on a small acreage. I've been eyballing the BCS & Grillo's for a while. on My hilly 9 acres one would do pretty well.
The only part really choking me up is the $8k for a baler to fit it. If I were to go that route,I might have to buy the rake and go really old school and pile the straw loose instead of baling.

#13 ·
js5020 said:
Oh those balers look sweet if ya got a use for one, but I dont understand the high cost. At that price and with the limited amount of acres that can be covered it seems hardly worth it in my book.
Well they claim they will make a bale a minute. I think the limit to acres you can cover would be the amount of walking you can do in a day?
Age would have a lot to do with that. I can't walk nearly as far at 61 as I could at 30?

#16 ·
Lauber1 said:
im thinking that if you let a bunch of kids see it, the labor problems would be gone. This thing is like a full sized video game.
Could'nt agree more Lauber. My 16 yr old Grandson is right there when it comes to playing with anything with a motor on it.
Last Summer several times he cut a few hours off my weekly mowing chore and had fun doing it.

#17 ·
js5020 said:
Oh those balers look sweet if ya got a use for one, but I dont understand the high cost. At that price and with the limited amount of acres that can be covered it seems hardly worth it in my book.
I think the balers would be worth the price, if one could develop a market for the mini-bales. If one were near a metro area(for decorative purposes) or a lot of hobby farms where people were raising goats, sheep, lama, the small cattle or horses. Where Women and Teens would want lighter bales they could handle. You might be able to get a premium price for the product? The initial cash outlay is hard to swallow, and you would need to make and use or sell 10-16 thousand bales to break even on buying the baler.
But when ou consider $30 K+ for tractor, $10K for a Baler and $5K for a rake to do conventional bales(you could easily have $60 K in a conventional set up), The Two wheeler set up to do the same on a smaller scale does not sound so high?

#18 ·
Oh yes if one could develope a niche market (but this could take years) that was able to produce a premium price it would make the investment return alot faster. Im with ya on the concept, just think the baler is mighty spendy for what it is, I mean it hooks to the front of a 2 wheeler it cant be all that large, heavy, or complex for what they are charging for it. I like the baler, (I dont make hay or have any inclination to do so, but have done it in the past), and if the intent was to market the hay then a baler of some sort is necessary. As you said above when comparing new the price doesnt pinch as bad.

#22 ·
The baler in action is pretty neat, and produces a nice little bale. It's effective, but seems a bit inefficient to me. Actually the whole process of making hay w/ a walk behind does, but that's just my 2 pennies

#23 ·
AcreFarm said:
The baler in action is pretty neat, and produces a nice little bale. It's effective, but seems a bit inefficient to me. Actually the whole process of making hay w/ a walk behind does, but that's just my 2 pennies
I have to agree with ya Dan, on all counts. But you have to admit that baler is cute as a button! I'd love to have one, but set it up for towing behind a garden tractor with rear pto! How cool would that be!

#25 ·
I agree the baler itself is pretty slick. If it could be driven off a GT it would make a heck of a rig. Add to that... with bales that size you could put 2 spears on your Massey's loader & 1 on the 3pt... Now that would be a neat operation! :thumbs:

#26 · (Edited by Moderator)
olcowhand said:
I have to agree with ya Dan, on all counts. But you have to admit that baler is cute as a button! I'd love to have one, but set it up for towing behind a garden tractor with rear pto! How cool would that be!
Caeb does makea model for compact tractors, seems to me they reccomend a minumum of 18 hp at the PTO.

I agree that making hay with a walk behind is counter intuitive to any one, who has put up hay the way we do it in the US. And I don't advocate it on a working dairy farm. It might be a way to go for those of us who have a few acres and would like to generate enough income to pay the taxes and support our hobby farm?
I have no intention of keeping livestock myself. Not interested in having my feet nailed to the milk parlor floor.
Though admire those who do it. Most farmers here are only making the large round bales, I understand the labor savings makes it only practical. But see a market on the side going unfilled.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.