• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted November 17, 2011 - 10:31 PM

UPDATE:

I had some time to finally work on the Bolens this evening... First thing I did was pour some oil down the sparkplug hole and let it sit a while.
I checked for spark and got nothing.... So off came the points cover and I found the contact points to be pretty dirty so I got them cleaned up and now I have a nice Blue Spark! :dancingbanana:

I decided to pour a little gas in the tank and see what would happen, after about 4 pulls it fired right up!, I only had it running for around 2 minutes as I still need to get that flywheel nut.... But it Runs! :bounce:

#32 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4180
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted November 18, 2011 - 05:40 AM

Great! I love that feeling when it starts for the first time.

#33 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted November 18, 2011 - 06:39 AM

Great! I love that feeling when it starts for the first time.

I'll try and get a video of it running tonight
  • Lovintractorin said thank you

#34 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,502 Thanks
  • 39,730 posts

Posted November 18, 2011 - 07:13 AM

Great news. I'm glad it started for you. Flywheel nut shouldn't be too hard to come by.

#35 awol OFFLINE  

awol

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1576
  • 77 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted November 18, 2011 - 09:52 AM

Glad you go it running!!It's nice when a plan comes together with little effort.I'm sure you will find a flywheel nut soon.:bounce:

#36 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted November 18, 2011 - 05:13 PM

I'll try and get a video of it running tonight

Anxious to see it.

#37 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted November 18, 2011 - 07:35 PM

Did some looking around and managed to find a fine threaded nut laying around the garage that fit :D

Here's the video:

I do need to adjust the versa-matic drive as I cannot get to full speed( about 2 notches are left on the speed selector)
Also in the picture below,
when I go into neutral these 2 pulleys rub against each other. Bruce, Do you know if there is an adjustment?
2.jpg
  • Gtractor, KennyP and Lovintractorin have said thanks

#38 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted November 18, 2011 - 09:14 PM

Thanks for the video. That runs beautiful. :thumbs: Good find on the nut.

#39 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted November 18, 2011 - 11:13 PM

I do need to adjust the versa-matic drive as I cannot get to full speed( about 2 notches are left on the speed selector)
Also in the picture below,
when I go into neutral these 2 pulleys rub against each other. Bruce, Do you know if there is an adjustment?

Yes, Brian, there is an adjustment. .....The top end of the clutch rod is threaded and the adjustment is made there. .....The clevis pin needs to be removed from the control lever so the bracket threaded to the clutch rod can be tightened or loosened, thus lengthening or shortening the clutch rod.

Belt stretch from normal usage or changing the height of the handle will affect the adjustment. .....Adjustment is made with the engine not running. .....The procedure is described in the Owner's Manual.

You probably noticed that to engage reverse, the handle has to be pulled back and held, as there is no detent. .....That was a safety feature so the tractor would not back over the operator if he fell. .....When the handle is pulled back, the pulley will contact the reverse disc, as shown in your pic.

When in neutral, there should be no contact with the reverse disc, and the tractor should not creep forward.

I noticed that the adjustment procedure is described differently in the 3 versions of the manual for the 15FC & 15FD tractors. .....If you can not get satisfactory adjustment, let me know, and I can scan the pages for comparison.

You got a great tractor there, as it goes by itself, without a driver. .....Is it remote controlled?

What is that white stuff on the ground, and why didn't you put the blade on to push it off your lawn?

Edited by Bruce Dorsi, November 18, 2011 - 11:18 PM.

#40 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted November 19, 2011 - 08:26 AM

Yes, Brian, there is an adjustment. .....The top end of the clutch rod is threaded and the adjustment is made there. .....The clevis pin needs to be removed from the control lever so the bracket threaded to the clutch rod can be tightened or loosened, thus lengthening or shortening the clutch rod.

Belt stretch from normal usage or changing the height of the handle will affect the adjustment. .....Adjustment is made with the engine not running. .....The procedure is described in the Owner's Manual.

You probably noticed that to engage reverse, the handle has to be pulled back and held, as there is no detent. .....That was a safety feature so the tractor would not back over the operator if he fell. .....When the handle is pulled back, the pulley will contact the reverse disc, as shown in your pic.

When in neutral, there should be no contact with the reverse disc, and the tractor should not creep forward.

I noticed that the adjustment procedure is described differently in the 3 versions of the manual for the 15FC & 15FD tractors. .....If you can not get satisfactory adjustment, let me know, and I can scan the pages for comparison.

I will try and make the adjustments today. I think I have all the versions of the versa-matic manuals so I will take a look at those as well

You got a great tractor there, as it goes by itself, without a driver. .....Is it remote controlled?
I was behind it :D

What is that white stuff on the ground, and why didn't you put the blade on to push it off your lawn?

I was temped to try out the blade but none of the snow stuck to the driveway.

I got all the grease fittings greased and to my surprise it seemed like they had already been greased, even the engine oil was clean.
The previous owner must have really loved this tractor. Usually all the grease fittings are dry and the oil is like tar when I pick up an engine.

#41 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted November 20, 2011 - 08:43 AM

I made the adjustments yesterday and now The reverse disc doesn't rub when in neutral.
I may still need to adjust the linkage more because I still cant get the speed selector into the last two notches of high speed.
Also, when Im going in reverse is it normal for it to make a grinding noise. I'm wondering if there's supposed to be rubber on one of those pulley grooves because for reverse, its just metal on metal now :confuse:
reverse dsc 004.jpg

#42 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted November 20, 2011 - 09:38 AM

Metal-to-metal is correct, and grinding noise is common. .....No rubber on contact surfaces.

There were two types of reverse disc: bronze & fiber. .....Bronze disc made more "grinding sound."

Is the middle flange on the VersaMatic drive pulley free to slide side-to-side? ....Can you see the flange move while the tractor is running/moving?

I believe if one of the belts is the wrong length, it will prevent proper operation of the variable speed drive.

#43 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted November 20, 2011 - 09:42 AM

Metal-to-metal is correct, and grinding noise is common. .....No rubber on contact surfaces.

There were two types of reverse disc: bronze & fiber. .....Bronze disc made more "grinding sound."

Is the middle flange on the VersaMatic drive pulley free to slide side-to-side? ....Can you see the flange move while the tractor is running/moving?
I'd have to take a closer look today....

I believe if one of the belts is the wrong length, it will prevent proper operation of the variable speed drive.
Your probably correct. The belt that's on there now dosent look like its 22'' I should have the new belts in tomorrow...

#44 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted November 20, 2011 - 04:22 PM

After watching it today, it does move side to side when changing speeds.

#45 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted November 20, 2011 - 04:23 PM

Here are some pictures of it back together.
versa,atic with plow 002.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• versa,atic with plow 001.jpg