Tinkerer

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 259
  • 18 Thanks
  • 200 posts

Posted November 13, 2011 - 10:55 PM

Got a call from a co-workers wifes co-workers husband with lawn tractor that needed repair. He left a phone message that said he had a riding lawn mower that had the steering link broken and that he also had a Murray in the back yard to get rid of if iI was interested. After playing phone tag I went to look at the tractor that needed repair this afternoon. I removed the broken tie rod end and went home to look at my collection to see if I had anything to fix his but I didn't. I went to Tractor Supply and bought a set of them for $12. I replaced the broken one with a new one and then he asked if I would like to look at the Murray. The Murray had been covered and besides 3 flat tires it looked complete. He asked if I wanted it and I said sure. I went home and got the trailer and my air tank to fix a flat on his rider and also to blow the tires up on the Murray. Got his tire blown up and the Murray tires took air with one having a weather crack leak but still held air so it could be rolled onto and off of the trailer. So to make the already long story short I got the Murray riding lawn mower for $6 and about 1 hour of my time. Not too bad for an afternoon. Pictures will come tomorrow.

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 14, 2011 - 12:38 AM

Nice score.

#3 plowboy OFFLINE  

plowboy

TRACTOROLOGIST

• Contributor
  • Member No: 7340
  • 133 Thanks
  • 229 posts

Posted November 14, 2011 - 06:42 AM

it'll cost u more 2 fill the gas tank on that thing than u paid for it! great day u had for sure!!

#4 Tinkerer OFFLINE  

Tinkerer

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 18 Thanks
  • 200 posts

Posted November 14, 2011 - 07:18 AM

After unloading it and messing with it for a little while I found out it will need a battery, 2 rear tires or tubes and a steering link. I went online and the steering link is still available. I need the whole link as the tie rod ends are part of the link and not threaded on. I haven't looked the mower over yet or checked out the belts but I will do that sometime today. Here is a couple of pictures from this morning. 1114110654.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 1114110655.jpg

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted November 14, 2011 - 07:46 AM

Are you planning on using as a weekly mower? If not, & you have it ready by spring, you'll be able to put it out by the road and get some funding for your bigger projects. :thumbs:

#6 plowboy OFFLINE  

plowboy

TRACTOROLOGIST

• Contributor
  • Member No: 7340
  • 133 Thanks
  • 229 posts

Posted November 14, 2011 - 11:33 AM

looks like it would be a great weekly mower for someone lookin 2 do just that. i agree- help s1 out by sellin it for a gd price & use the $ for other projects. either way...great job on "stealing" that 1....lol

#7 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 14, 2011 - 11:34 AM

Great looking Murray, hope you can get it going.

#8 tom603 OFFLINE  

tom603

• Member No: 774
  • 2 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted November 14, 2011 - 08:55 PM

I might have a steering link in my pile.I saved some of those front ends.I was gonna make some 4 wheel carts that would steer but never did.I also have a couple parts tractors.Anyway,you can have it.I'm not to far from you over here in Tamworth.Send me a pic and some measurements and I'll see if I got one.
Tom in NH.

#9 Tinkerer OFFLINE  

Tinkerer

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 18 Thanks
  • 200 posts

Posted November 14, 2011 - 09:40 PM

This afternoon I put some gas in the gas tank then hooked my battery booster up to the tractor and it fired right up. It will need a tune up. I temporarily fixed the steering linkage so that I could move it around and ended up driving it around. The mowing deck seems to be frozen right now. I would say that a couple of the bearings are frozen but I haven't pulled the deck off yet. I will probably fix it and sell it in the spring. I don't need another weekly mower as I already have four garden tractors to mow my small lawn. Turning the money over for other things for my garden tractors is what I am planning on doing with it.

#10 Tinkerer OFFLINE  

Tinkerer

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 18 Thanks
  • 200 posts

Posted November 14, 2011 - 10:08 PM

I might have a steering link in my pile.I saved some of those front ends.I was gonna make some 4 wheel carts that would steer but never did.I also have a couple parts tractors.Anyway,you can have it.I'm not to far from you over here in Tamworth.Send me a pic and some measurements and I'll see if I got one.
Tom in NH.

Tom,
The steering arm is approximately 16.75 inches from the center of the ball joints. The steering arm does has two angles in it. Here is a picture. Posted Image1114112146.jpg Thanks for looking. Jonathan

#11 tom603 OFFLINE  

tom603

• Member No: 774
  • 2 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted November 15, 2011 - 05:20 PM

Jonathan,
I looked today but didn't have one like it.At least you can get a new one.I hope it isn't too expensive.Sorry I couldn't help.
Tom in NH.

#12 Tinkerer OFFLINE  

Tinkerer

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 18 Thanks
  • 200 posts

Posted November 15, 2011 - 10:14 PM

Thanks for looking Tom. A new one is around $25 plus shipping. I may need to order some other parts so I will probably have an order that will justify the shipping.