6 replies to this topic

#1 mixedbreed96 OFFLINE  

mixedbreed96

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7095
  • 11 Thanks
  • 167 posts

Posted November 13, 2011 - 09:25 PM

could anyone donate a 212 starter for me? the starter just went up and as this is my snow tractor i need a starter before the next snow, the recent purchase of this machine has set me back so i was hoping someone could donate me one to help me out. id really appreciate it and could shoot them some cash as i get it. thanks guys!

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 13, 2011 - 09:34 PM

I might be able to send you one. Will you want it off your parts deere you plan to buy, or just another so you have one.

#3 mixedbreed96 OFFLINE  

mixedbreed96

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7095
  • 11 Thanks
  • 167 posts

Posted November 13, 2011 - 09:38 PM

id reallly appreciate it, and if the one on the 210 is good that is fine with me, just need to get this thing running! still waiting for the money to deposit for george to pick the hog up.

I might be able to send you one. Will you want it off your parts deere you plan to buy, or just another so you have one.

#4 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 13, 2011 - 09:49 PM

I know that the money didn't happen this weekend but it will occur. As for the starter I will see if I have one loose that works, if not I will pull the 210's and send it. PM me your address and I will work on that.

#5 lyall OFFLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted November 13, 2011 - 10:08 PM

are you sure the starter is bad?
does the starter spin at all? if the starter spins but does not turn the engine over it is the drive pinion. my use too stick I remove the starter and cleaned the drive pinion and oil the shaft so the drive pinion can slide on the shaft.

if you get the starter off try testing it with a battery or battery charger to see if is spins. if it does not spin I would check the brushes. if the brushes look good, not worn down to more they should be okay. clean the starter up on the inside and look it over. something the armature needed to be cleaned. clean the armature grooves where brushes rub. sometimes the carbon from the brushes build up in the grooves, causing a short so the starter will not spin.

with the starter still on the engine and the starter does not spin it could be several things. bad neutral switch, bad pto switch, fuse, starter solenoid, starter switch and/or bad wiring some place.

I had to go thru my starter on my 212 this year, it just needed a good cleaning inside and out. the starter works a lot better now.

if you have do not a have a Kohler service manual, you can download it from Kohler's web site. it will help you a lot.

good luck with your 212
  • MH81, JDBrian and mixedbreed96 have said thanks

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 15, 2011 - 05:14 PM

As Lyall said above. It could be just worn out of stuck/dirty brushes. It's worth a quick look inside to see whats up.

#7 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 15, 2011 - 05:20 PM

I sent him the starter off the 210 he is buying from me come this Spring. I dunno, I mighta compromised one of my deep cycle batteries testing to see it spin, and boy was it unhappy sounding lol. I dunno, will have to put the battery charger on my battery tomorrow to see if it's still alright.