• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 saintb OFFLINE  

saintb

• Member No: 5374
  • 0 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted November 13, 2011 - 02:41 PM

I had fun moving our super wet snow in October this year (PA/NJ), but I think chains are in order for the winter....

How much will they help on bar/tread tires? Is weight more important?

What is the appropriate chain size (23" bar tires)?

Can you recommend a vendor for the tire-chains?

IMAG1035.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG1033.jpg

#2 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted November 13, 2011 - 04:46 PM

No practical experience here, but I've heard that chains work good on turf tires, along with weight(s).

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 13, 2011 - 05:14 PM

Try this link.Garden Tractors Tire Chains It looks like they do have v bar chains for GT's. I had conventional 2 link spaced chains on my JDx475 with 26x12x12 tru power AG's on it. They worked pretty well with some extra weight on the back.
  • saintb said thank you

#4 saintb OFFLINE  

saintb

• Member No: 5374
  • 0 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted November 14, 2011 - 06:18 AM

Try this link.Garden Tractors Tire Chains It looks like they do have v bar chains for GT's. I had conventional 2 link spaced chains on my JDx475 with 26x12x12 tru power AG's on it. They worked pretty well with some extra weight on the back.

thanks. the v-bars sound intense, too. i wouldn't want to tear up a neighbors drive as I'm doing a good deed.... :) should I avoid v-bars if concerned?

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 14, 2011 - 11:05 AM

I've never used the vbars but they are likely to mark up the pavement more than normal chains. Ice is the main reason I need chains. Having even normal chains will make a huge difference. Get the 2 link chains. The extra cross chains make a big improvement over 4 link types. Pick up some spring type tensioners or some rubber bungy type straps to tension the chains. You have the option of leaving them off until you need them. It only takes a few minutes to put them on after you get the hang of it. Weight on the back makes a big difference. Also if your tractor has a dif. lock that is a big help.

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted November 14, 2011 - 02:19 PM

Do you have any weight back there (filled tires, etc)? If so, how much? With those tires, I think the weight will do more good than chains.

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 14, 2011 - 04:43 PM

Do you have any weight back there (filled tires, etc)? If so, how much? With those tires, I think the weight will do more good than chains.

I agree that weight will make a big difference, but on ice AG's are useless without chains. I've been there with 2 different tractors. I have a gravel driveway with a hill up to the road, so it is a worse case scenario in many ways. Weather and snow conditions are so variable that you may not need chains for a year and then suddenly there is a combination of temperature and snow that causes ice to form almost instantly under your wheels. I had this happen with my 2320 the first year and first major storm that I plowed with it. A 3000 lb tractor with 4wd and it could barely move itself up the hill let alone push snow. I bought a set of serious chains for it and it is nearly unstoppable now. I don't put them on unless I need them. Last year I got by without needing them.
Conditions vary a lot but for the cost of a small set of chains for a GT it is worth having them on hand IMO. There are times that nothing else will do to get the job done.

#8 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 16, 2011 - 12:27 PM

I don't remember the brand(it's a common brand) of Chains I bought last December. They are 4 link chains I bought at Tractor Supply Had the size tires it would fit on the box..
I put them on my turf tires and they work great Did not mark up my asphalt much at all. In fact last July when the 318 went down in a hidden spring, when I got it out I went directly to the shed and put them on, they have been on it ever since.
Are you using a blade or Blower? I know for a fact with the blower on my 318 it was helpless before I mounted the chains.
I have the same size tires on my Murray and am going to get a set for it as well.

With the lug tires I think you would want 2 link chains. The four link spacing might drop the chain between the lugs?
( the link spacing is the number of links on the side chains between the cross bars)

#9 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted November 16, 2011 - 01:49 PM

TSC has Peerless chains.

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 16, 2011 - 02:29 PM

TSC has Peerless chains.

That's It!! knew if I heard it I would recognize it.

And I agree with Brian, I think my chains were $54.00, and would never be without a set on hand.
It only takes a few minutes to mount them and depending on conditions can make the difference between making it back to the house or not on my hill.