10 replies to this topic

#1 gapper OFFLINE  

gapper

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2232
  • 5 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted November 12, 2011 - 08:08 PM

Help, i am pulling a parts machine(commando 800) apart and can't get the rear hubs to come free from the axle. I got the trans sold if i can get them off without doing damage to the trans. Anyone have a few tricks to try that will not damage the trans? Thanks guys for the help.:wallbanging:

#2 WH1056 OFFLINE  

WH1056

• Contributor
  • Member No: 4545
  • 64 Thanks
  • 59 posts

Posted November 13, 2011 - 12:34 PM

The only "trick" I know is to use a puller.
I have one at work like this: OTC Tools 7394 - OTC Universal Hub Pullers - Overview - SummitRacing.com

One thing you NEVER want to do is try to pound them off - the snap ring on the inner end of the axle can pop off and the axle will fall out.
  • tractorman604 and JDBrian have said thanks

#3 gapper OFFLINE  

gapper

• Contributor
  • 5 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted November 14, 2011 - 03:10 PM

Thanks WH1056 i will look for a fuller like that.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 14, 2011 - 03:20 PM

The only "trick" I know is to use a puller.
I have one at work like this: OTC Tools 7394 - OTC Universal Hub Pullers - Overview - SummitRacing.com

One thing you NEVER want to do is try to pound them off - the snap ring on the inner end of the axle can pop off and the axle will fall out.

Thanks for that link on the hub puller. I need one of those!

#5 gapper OFFLINE  

gapper

• Contributor
  • 5 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted November 17, 2011 - 03:44 PM

Well i tried the hub puller and ended up with a broken hub. I don't think i did anything wrong. I installed the puller per the instructions. I don't know if i will try to use it to take the other side off. Really don't want to end up with both hubs broken. I can see this puller working on a lot of things but not real sure about stuck hubs on a GT.

#6 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,289 Thanks
  • 28,622 posts

Posted November 17, 2011 - 07:46 PM

We used a pulled on the parts tractor for Ryan's. They were so seized, that we cranked it down until we were afraid to go any further, applied heat until the hub was as hot as we dared, and then hit the bolt on the puller. 1/16 of an inch at a time. If I have one that stuck again, I am going to make a 5 hole puller with a 3/4 fine thread bolt thru the center. Spread out the pull as much as possible.
  • JDBrian said thank you

#7 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted November 18, 2011 - 09:08 PM

Use the same method with the puller, but before you really crank down on the puller, heat the hub up good and hot, then spray it with penetrating oil. It will steam a lot, so keep your face back, and make sure you wear good heavy gloves. After spraying the penetrating oil, apply some pressure on the puller. Note, when spraying the penetrating oil, be sure to spray as much as you can between the hub and the end of the axle housing, and try and get as much as you can on the end of the axle, so that it runs back between the axle and hub, towards the transmission. Penetrating oil works best when it's hot, so you may have to heat and spray a couple of times before it lets loose, due to cooling of both the hub and axle, but at least you shouldn't break anymore hubs. After the hub is removed, place it in a can large enough to submerse the hub in "warm" water. DO NOT PUT IT IN COLD WATER!!!! Just heat up the water warm enough that you can still put your hands in it. It does not have to be any hotter than that.

Good luck, and keep us posted on the progress!
  • IamSherwood and JDBrian have said thanks

#8 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 19, 2011 - 05:23 AM

Yeah those pullers work good,I have one.

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 19, 2011 - 05:59 AM

too bad you broke the hub gapper. I want to thank everyone for the advice on dealing with a common problem when you need to do transmission work. I guess you should always have axle seals on hand as the heat will likely damage them.

#10 gapper OFFLINE  

gapper

• Contributor
  • 5 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted November 22, 2011 - 12:50 PM

Thanks for the help but i was selling the trans and did not want to put money into axle seals. I guess that was a costly mistake because now i don't have any good hubs to sell. I will sell my trans from now on with the hubs on and have the cost added into the selling price. Let the new owner take them off.

#11 thirdroc17 OFFLINE  

thirdroc17

• Member No: 1805
  • 36 Thanks
  • 91 posts

Posted November 27, 2011 - 11:26 AM

You really want a puller which attaches to all five bolt holes, 6 if you're talking a D-Series. Either make one from scratch, or it you happen to have a good hub laying about, that will make a puller as well. Just run 5 bolts through the holes of both hubs, use a large bolt through the center hole, with a nut on the inside.