• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 projectnut OFFLINE  

projectnut

• Member No: 5067
  • 25 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted November 11, 2011 - 10:57 AM

As you may recall I bought a Case 224 tractor earlier this year with the intent of using it to haul trailer loads of wood. The time has come to put it to work but I'm having a little weight distrubution problem. On level and slightly hilly terrain all is well. However when trying to pull a load of wood (500 - 800 lbs) up a fairly steep hill the front wheels like to come off the ground. That may not be bad on the drag strip but it doesn't make it very easy to avoid trees and rocks out in the woods.

I thought at one time I saw a bracket on some Case models intended to carry suitcase weights. I don't know if one was ever built for the 224 of if it's a generic bracket that can be used on several models. I would like to add possibly up to 100 lbs to help keep the front end down on long hard pulls.

If anyone has a bracket I would appreciate it if they would post a couple pictures. I currently have 200 lbs of suitcase weights for my JD 445 and would like to make or buy a bracket so they could be used on the Case.

Thanks, projectnut

#2 cp7 OFFLINE  

cp7

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1369
  • 58 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted November 11, 2011 - 06:53 PM

The Case suitcase weights and bracket are a highly collectable piece and doesn't go cheap when they do come up for sale. If you've got the JD weights already you just need to make a simple bracket and mount it on an extra mule drive. I made one and mostly use it on my Brinly three point sleeve hitch adapter but put it on the front of my Deere's too. I started to do it for a Case but got side tracked. The thing you want to keep in mind on the Case is to get the bracket low enough that the hood opens and doesn't hit the weights.

PA200323.jpg
  • projectnut said thank you

#3 projectnut OFFLINE  

projectnut

• 25 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted November 26, 2011 - 03:45 PM

Well, I looked around a couple weeks and as expected I couldn't find a factory bracket to mount the suitcase weights on the front of my 224. So to make things simple I took cp7's advice and bought a mower mule drive on e-bay and modified it. The bracket is now capable of holding 126 lbs. (3) of John Deere weights. It isn't any technilogical wonder but I expect it will do the job. I've attached a few pictures of the finished product. I'll put it on next weekend and try to haul a few more loads of wood.

DCP01085.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• DCP01083.JPG
  • DCP01082.JPG
  • DCP01087.jpg

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 26, 2011 - 04:28 PM

That looks really good projectnut. That should help with the steering on hills. You may want to try to limit the weight on the front of the trailer a bit to cut down on the hitch weight.

#5 Billygoat OFFLINE  

Billygoat

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2454
  • 76 Thanks
  • 206 posts

Posted November 26, 2011 - 06:42 PM

You need to paint those weights Power Red! LOL Just kiddin', that bracket looks great. Case also made a D8 weight set for the 200 series. It had a bracket and four weights that hung on it. The weights could also be mounted on the wheels. D10 was the model # for the 400 series.

#6 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 26, 2011 - 06:51 PM

Nice weight bracket, glad you got it all figured out and built.

#7 cp7 OFFLINE  

cp7

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1369
  • 58 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted November 26, 2011 - 08:46 PM

Awesome looking nut. :thumbs:
The last factory setup I saw went for over $500 and that was four weights and the bracket. You can buy a lot of green weights for that (and some paint because some of them will look down their nose at you for having that green on your tractor).

Here's the model H18 weight bracket that Billy mentioned.

1.jpg

#8 projectnut OFFLINE  

projectnut

• 25 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted December 03, 2011 - 05:00 PM

I finally got the weight bracket installed on the tractor today. With 126 lbs on it the tractor performed well when climbing the hills. Even at fairly low rpms (about 1,500) the tires stuck to the ground like they were glued there. I even took it down the road a ways and did a couple turn arounds. I was somewhat concerned that with too much weight it might make it hard to steer on level ground. Again everything went just fine. I was planning on hauling wood today but it started raining last night. The ground is soaked and there's even standing water in places. As much as I wanted to try it better sense prevailed. The last thing I want to do is dig up the new lawn or have it slide down the hill and get a bath in the lake. Here's a few pics of the weights and bracket installed.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF1379.jpg
  • DSCF1383.jpg
  • DSCF1386.jpg
  • DSCF1385.jpg
  • DSCF1380.jpg

#9 Guest_ACguy1994_*

Guest_ACguy1994_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted December 03, 2011 - 05:12 PM