Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted November 10, 2011 - 11:43 PM

This is one of my auction finds that looked to be handy to have around and was too cheap to pass up. I bought this in 2003 and it sat with an old galvanized tub over it until about two years ago when I needed to use it. After cleaning the points and carb. it ran perfect but the cart was broken and it was missing the front wheels so I figured it should be fixed to where it would be mobile.
Today I figured it would be a good project. I had some wheels that were the right size from an old front tine tiller I found in the city dump a long time ago so I used them on the front. I set them forward as the 8 horse Kohler is heavy and I wanted most of the weight to be on the back wheels. It looks silly but rolls great even in gravel.
The cables [30 feet] are shedding their insulation in places where they have been wound tightly around the handles so they will get some new electrical tape. New cables are just over $300 so thats not gonna happen. This model sells for just under $4,000 new.
Total investment, $40.
First pic is of the tiller wheels before I cut the bracket right in the middle. After straightening the 90 degree bend I drilled two holes per bracket and mounted them.
startall 1.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• startall 2.jpg

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,303 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted November 11, 2011 - 01:03 AM

That's a neat piece of history & a functional tool too! Thanks for the intro, never seen one before.

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 11, 2011 - 05:22 AM

That's cool,and I also have never seen one of those.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 11, 2011 - 07:28 AM

Thats a super useful piece of gear to have around. Nice job on getting it sorted out!

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,207 posts

Posted November 11, 2011 - 07:46 AM

Thats pretty neat, never seen one like that before

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,465 Thanks
  • 39,697 posts

Posted November 11, 2011 - 08:00 AM

That's cool! Could you use some of that 'Liquid Tape' on the bare spots?

#7 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted November 11, 2011 - 09:49 AM

I never thought about liquid tape, that should work better. Thanks for that idea Kenny. The cables insulation is very brittle from exposure and age. Those cables are 2 ga so kind of stiff anyhow, they won't do a lot of flexing.
For those unfamiliar with the startall there are two generators under the white box that belt drive off the engine. This is the smallest model rated at 300 amps and 12 volt only and it is designed to be mounted on a service truck. There is a second set of shorter cables that are to be hooked to the service trucks battery and you can electric start the engine by putting current backwards through the generators. That spins the engine to start it but I am not going to have a battery on my cart so I have rope start only. The K series Kohler starts first pull every time anyhow. They still make this model and it is the same Goodall company that made the rotary mowers many years ago. Well, kind of, they were bought out by another company and moved out of the state but you get the idea.

Goodall® Manufacturing, LLC.