#16 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted November 10, 2011 - 02:49 PM

Good luck this winter...... I hope it doesn't get so bad that it takes the fun out of enjoying your JD! I've always like the 110's, and yours looks like a good one. Maybe I'll have one some day!
  • akretowicz said thank you

#17 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,745 Thanks
  • 1,396 posts

Posted November 10, 2011 - 09:00 PM

For wet snow you will have to go slower than dry snow, so that the auger can through the wet snow. Do not try to through to much wet snow at one time, slower the better. Cabs are a joy to have so that you can be out there longer and not have snow in your face :smile1:

As JD Dannels said, get the snow the best as you can before you store it for the next time.
  • akretowicz said thank you

#18 hdg4400 OFFLINE  

hdg4400

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6945
  • 254 Thanks
  • 326 posts

Posted November 20, 2011 - 10:37 PM

I agree with everything others have said about the single stage blower. I had one on my JD 140 when I lived in the country, and it worked well. I was lucky enough to get a cab when I bought the tractor, which really helped when the wind blew in the wrong direction. Sometimes it almost got too warm in there, and I frequently had to wipe the windshield on the inside to be able to see out.

#19 mdwoodcarver OFFLINE  

mdwoodcarver

• Member No: 7329
  • 17 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted November 20, 2011 - 10:52 PM

nice set up you got there, if the blade cant handle the job then im sure the snow blower will !!

#20 Lawnguy OFFLINE  

Lawnguy

• Member No: 4947
  • 7 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted November 21, 2011 - 08:34 AM

When I bought my 318, it came with a blade and a model 49 single stage blower? My experience with the blower wasn't good at all. It would barely throw the snow more then 3 ft - 5ft at a time when I realy needed it in 6" - 8" of regular Michigan snow. I ended up selling it and kept the blade which brought on its own set of problems. No locking diff, rear weights or chains (even though I had AG tires) made it difficult to get traction on the cement part of my driveway. I think once I get the weights and chains I will be happy I kept the blade.

#21 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 21, 2011 - 06:52 PM

Chains and weight will make a night and day difference. I had an x475 which is about the same weight as the 318. It made a huge difference for me. Although I did have the dif. lock, it did not seem to make as big a difference as the chains and weight.

#22 akretowicz OFFLINE  

akretowicz

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2090
  • 148 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted November 26, 2011 - 07:02 PM

By golly, I am fine! I have both wheel weights and chains. We'll make it okay. Hopefully I won't even need it.

#23 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted November 27, 2011 - 08:30 AM

I've had both a 37 & a 37A on a 74-112 w/cab. The 37 gave me troubles throwing the twisted drive belt, so I jumped on a 37A at an auction, worked much better!

Both blew snow better than I expected, wet or dry! A tall chute improved the 37A though.

Now I'm R&Ring a 49 blower for my 314. ~~ grnspot

Attached Thumbnails

• GARDEN TRACTORS II 007 (Small).jpg

Edited by grnspot110, November 27, 2011 - 08:43 AM.

#24 blown67 OFFLINE  

blown67

• Member No: 2233
  • 2 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted November 27, 2011 - 05:41 PM

I think this is the first year I am not out the night before the storm scrambling around trying to get everything in order for the first snow, with my luck we wont get any now.....

Posted Image

#25 akretowicz OFFLINE  

akretowicz

Tractorholic

• 148 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted November 27, 2011 - 10:18 PM

I think this is the first year I am not out the night before the storm scrambling around trying to get everything in order for the first snow, with my luck we wont get any now.....

Posted Image

That is a real nice looking set up you have there. I'd say all your bases are covered.

#26 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted November 28, 2011 - 11:30 AM

445_snow_blade.jpg
I bought a 54 blade for my 445 a couple of months back. I have wheel weights to add, and I want to get another set of wheel weights to go with what I already have. I also might make a rear weight bracket to mount suitcase weights.

#27 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted November 28, 2011 - 11:33 AM

Terry, Thats a good looking setup you have there. I think it will do well for you with the extra weight on the back.

#28 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 28, 2011 - 04:30 PM

Terry, I had a X475 with the 54 blade. I had wheel weights and a tractor trunk on the back with 150lbs or so of sand in it. I also had AG's on the back , Tru Power I think they were. I needed chains to push snow up my hill under certain conditions. If you have a hill to deal with you might want to consider picking up a set of chains. The AG's are not much good on icy surfaces. It makes a huge difference and it's not that expensive for 26 x12/12 tires. Of course each storm is different and it takes a while to get a feel for the conditions in your driveway.

#29 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 28, 2011 - 04:31 PM

Posted Image

Your Green Trio looks ready to battle old man winter. Nice lineup!

#30 akretowicz OFFLINE  

akretowicz

Tractorholic

• 148 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted December 12, 2011 - 09:05 AM

Like I stated earlier, I love to be prepared. Personally, after the past 3 nasty winters we have had here in ND, I could care less if we get any snow or not. I am ready, though. I also have a fire extinguisher in my home. Sure as hell doesn't mean I want a fire to test it out. LOL!