• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PennsylvaniaNewt OFFLINE  

PennsylvaniaNewt

• Member No: 5693
  • 49 Thanks
  • 166 posts

Posted November 08, 2011 - 10:43 PM

As you all know I just put the engine back in. It has been running fine however, today after I put it in the garage I tried to restart it and the battery is dead.

I noticed I didn't put the grounding strap back on (connects engine to the frame). Would this prevent the generator from charging the battery but allow the engine to run off of the battery for a while?

#2 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,455 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted November 09, 2011 - 06:39 AM

I wouldn't think so but you never know , after you charge the battery and have it running check the battey voltage before and after you put the ground back , it would be good to know , Al

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,686 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted November 09, 2011 - 06:39 AM

Was the ammeter showing a charge when the tractor was running?

#4 PennsylvaniaNewt OFFLINE  

PennsylvaniaNewt

• Member No: 5693
  • 49 Thanks
  • 166 posts

Posted November 09, 2011 - 09:52 PM

I thought it was but I will be sure to check that when I start it again. I also am going to test with my multi-meter.

#5 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 2,145 posts

Posted November 10, 2011 - 06:58 AM

I thought it was but I will be sure to check that when I start it again. I also am going to test with my multi-meter.

You probably already know this, but it may help someone else. .......Measure the battery voltage before starting the engine. ......Then, measure the battery voltage with the engine running mid-throttle. ....If the voltage reading is higher with the engine running, then your generator is charging the battery.

While the ammeter gives some indication, it may not show a small charge, if the battery is nearly fully charged. .....As the battery is charged, the amp rate is decreased. .....That is why I prefer to start with the voltage test.

#6 JJuday OFFLINE  

JJuday

• Member No: 5194
  • 4 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted November 10, 2011 - 04:58 PM

My 1054 was not charging the battery and turned out the ammeter was bad. I replaced it with one off a parts unit and it now charges and shows on the gauge.

#7 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,301 Thanks
  • 2,335 posts

Posted November 11, 2011 - 09:32 AM

Ground strap?Yes it will need it.The engine needs a good ground.That beastly old Wisconsin sits on 4 rubber engine mounts.
You're only other ground would be the drive shaft and the throttle and choke cables.I wouldn't think it would charge very well knowing that the regulator isn't grounded to the engine.

I had similar problems with my 1250.The ground strap/wire was missing on mine and I couldn't figure out why it wasn't charging.It took me a couple weeks to figure out.:rofl2:

I hooked up a wire from the top of the head to the plate that the regulator bolts to and it started to charge.
What really sucks is I bought a new regulator for it for $84 and the old one is still good.I still have the original one in the shed somewhere.

Edited by EricFromPa, November 11, 2011 - 09:44 AM.

• Bolens 1000 and PennsylvaniaNewt have said thanks