#16 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted November 09, 2011 - 05:56 PM

I have both, well, sort of! My 314 I found last July on CL, very nice original. It's my primary working tractor. I use it to tow carts, sweeper & snowblower. My 317 was just a rolling chassis when I bought it. I highly modified it into the 317 "Special" show in my avatar. Primarily a parade unit!

Can't see where you could go wrong with either (or both), considering they are in good shape & priced reasonable! ~~ grnspot

#17 Deere Green OFFLINE  

Deere Green

• Member No: 7192
  • 24 Thanks
  • 126 posts

Posted November 10, 2011 - 10:13 AM

So the 317 purrs like a kitten. It is leaking oil and if it is just replacing the gaskets on the thing I would have no issue loading her up and brining her home tomorrow. What was the issue with the Series I engine? This thing would come with a plow as well. One other thing that I don't know enough about when it comes to these larger units is the PTO switch for the deck. Is this electric? He had to hook the thing up to the charger to jump it because it had not been used in a while as he has a 318 as well. When the deck was engaged at lower RPM and you would throtle up it would bog down pretty hard. One these hydro units are you suppose to have the RPM up before you engage the pto? I have always engaged at low RPM on my other units to not put so much stress on the belts and electric pto when it tries starting catch and spin the deck. This practice has almost doubled the life of the belts and maybe it is incorrect on a unit like this? Help from the JD crowd on this one would be appreciated. To trade or not to trade that is the question (Oh and by the way we have a new 6 week old at home so tractor tear down and fixing is limited and would want to use this unit to move snow this winter).

Here are the two pics I got without spooking the guy:camera:
IMAG0596.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG0597.jpg

#18 Deere Green OFFLINE  

Deere Green

• 24 Thanks
  • 126 posts

Posted November 10, 2011 - 10:15 AM

IMAG0597.jpg sorry those pics got really small lets try that agian...think if you click on these they are the larger file.
IMAG0596.jpg

#19 Deere Green OFFLINE  

Deere Green

• 24 Thanks
  • 126 posts

Posted November 10, 2011 - 10:24 AM

anyone know if this is the series I or II??? the picture links on the top of the forum do not work so I was not able to look at the FAQ to see...Thanks

#20 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted November 10, 2011 - 10:46 AM

Look here to see if yours is series I or series II. http://gardentractor...i-engines-9551/

The series I did not have "full" pressure lubrication and if ran on steep inclines many times seized the engine. The series II IS full pressure lubrication, therefore more dependable. If you have a fairly flat area it will be used on, likely a series I would be fine. Many ran for years & many still running today with no problems.

#21 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 10, 2011 - 11:25 AM

The PTO runs right off the front of the engine so the hydro is not involved in the PTO engagement. It seems logical that you would engage the PTO at a lowish speed then rev up. I don't have the specific instructions for reference. The problem could be that the deck is hard to drive due to worn or frozen bearings or a belt alignment problem. On the other side of the equation if the engine is down on power then it will have trouble with the increased load when bringing the deck up to speed. These old tractors can have a lot of problems and still start and run reasonably well.

#22 Deere Green OFFLINE  

Deere Green

• 24 Thanks
  • 126 posts

Posted November 10, 2011 - 12:00 PM

Look here to see if yours is series I or series II. http://gardentractor...i-engines-9551/

The series I did not have "full" pressure lubrication and if ran on steep inclines many times seized the engine. The series II IS full pressure lubrication, therefore more dependable. If you have a fairly flat area it will be used on, likely a series I would be fine. Many ran for years & many still running today with no problems.

the pictures will not show up can you post them to this thread so I can see them. when i click on them they say invalid path notify admin.

#23 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted November 10, 2011 - 12:06 PM

the pictures will not show up can you post them to this thread so I can see them. when i click on them they say invalid path notify admin.

Something has happened with the pics. Not sure what that is. I don't remember enough to tell you for sure. Maybe TD&H will chime in. I'll PM him.

#24 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted November 10, 2011 - 12:14 PM

Here is a download pdf that spells out the diff

http://www.kohlereng...f/tp_2043_a.pdf

#25 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted November 10, 2011 - 12:42 PM

anyone know if this is the series I or II??? the picture links on the top of the forum do not work so I was not able to look at the FAQ to see...Thanks

Deere Green, First off I want to WELCOME you to GTtalk, Glad you joined us. Secondly, I think I have fixed the issues with the 2 photo's in my post about the differences in the Series I and Series II Kt17 engines. I'm sorry that you couldn't get them to open. Please try them again now.

http://gardentractor...i-engines-9551/

#26 Deere Green OFFLINE  

Deere Green

• 24 Thanks
  • 126 posts

Posted November 10, 2011 - 01:50 PM

anyone think i should be overly concerend with the oil leak?

#27 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted November 10, 2011 - 02:19 PM

If it's not bad and your just using it for a daily worker, I wouldn't mess with it.

#28 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted November 10, 2011 - 02:19 PM

I can't really see much in the pic concerning an oil leak, but nothing major. Gasket replacement would fix that.

#29 Deere Green OFFLINE  

Deere Green

• 24 Thanks
  • 126 posts

Posted November 11, 2011 - 09:56 AM

Can someone PM me the service manual for the 317 please thanks in advance. Going to pick the 317 up on Saturday.

#30 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 11, 2011 - 11:13 AM

You couldn't really lose either way. These old 300 series are still a good choice for a working tractor due to all the used parts available and JD still supplies quite a few new parts as well.