#1 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4180
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted November 08, 2011 - 06:04 AM

I have been wanting a walkbehind tractor for a while now but I like the ones over the pond with all the gears, the large size, and diesel engines. Gravely comes close but I want larger wheels and more gear options. Just recently I had a thought. What about a hydrostatic walk behind? I thought about making my own from the rear end of a hydrostatic Bolens tractor. Built a small frame and mount the engine right in the front of the hydro , balance it with larger attachments or weights and put a small castor on the front for just sitting. I could use larger ag tires and wheel weights and I'd have a beast of a walkbehind with a locking differential if need be. I don't have the materials now and I probably won't get them for a while yet but just brainstorming.

Any problems anyone can think of, thoughts or suggestions?

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,415 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted November 08, 2011 - 06:17 AM

This sounds interesting. Only challenge with larger tires would be ground speed will increase. Might move pretty quick with the 'pedal to the metal'.
  • Lovintractorin said thank you

#3 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted November 08, 2011 - 07:04 AM

It sounds like it would work and be an interesting build. If using larger tires made it go to fast you could always build a chain and sprocket gear reduction setup. Are you thinking of using a a lighter duty hydro out of a lawn tractor or a garden tractor hydro?

#4 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted November 08, 2011 - 07:07 AM

Sounds like a fun project ! If it would have a lift cyl you could use that to raise and lower the dolley wheel for transportation make turring at the end of rows easier too . How strong are those zero turn mowers ? Could you use the hyd motors/pump set up ? Then you would have hydraulics to run different things too . Just throwing ideas at you , Al

#5 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 3,158 posts

Posted November 08, 2011 - 07:34 AM

What would you do for a pto? Like the gravely's have? If you didn't need that then I think it would be a pretty easy project to make. I might make something based on this as well, but I want 4x4 instead .

#6 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 08, 2011 - 07:40 AM

That sounds like it could be an interesting project.

#7 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted November 08, 2011 - 08:15 AM

That sound feasible. I do like the hyd option and the ZTR idea.

#8 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted November 08, 2011 - 05:54 PM

This sounds interesting. Only challenge with larger tires would be ground speed will increase. Might move pretty quick with the 'pedal to the metal'.

I would be looking for a higher ground speed for to use as a transport speed but I don't want to compromise torque so I'm not sure on that. I was thinking 16 ags as tires but I may have to go smaller depending on the how slow the hydrostatic goes.

It sounds like it would work and be an interesting build. If using larger tires made it go to fast you could always build a chain and sprocket gear reduction setup. Are you thinking of using a a lighter duty hydro out of a lawn tractor or a garden tractor hydro?

That would be an idea but I would have to put the reductions on each wheel so as to keep the input speed at the hydro correct. It may be pretty difficult depending on how it goes together. I was thinking of using the rear end from a Bolens tubeframe or better. It shouldn't lack strength.

#9 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted November 08, 2011 - 06:04 PM

Sounds like a fun project ! If it would have a lift cyl you could use that to raise and lower the dolley wheel for transportation make turring at the end of rows easier too . How strong are those zero turn mowers ? Could you use the hyd motors/pump set up ? Then you would have hydraulics to run different things too . Just throwing ideas at you , Al

That sound feasible. I do like the hyd option and the ZTR idea.

I like ideas! I was thinking of using the rear end out of a bolens tubeframe and I know the 1256 we have has one cylinder running off the hydro. I probably won't use a cylinder for the front "kickstand", but was thinking of remotes so I could hook a dump trailer up to it or something else that could use hydraulics with low flow. I do really like the idea of hydraulics. I don't know the strength of ZTR hydro's but I can't imagine they would hold up under great load for extended periods such as plowing or pulling a load but I have never ridden one or even looked closely at one so don't really know.

#10 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted November 09, 2011 - 10:28 PM

What would you do for a pto? Like the gravely's have? If you didn't need that then I think it would be a pretty easy project to make. I might make something based on this as well, but I want 4x4 instead .

I am not sure on a PTO. Maybe a belt or similar idea to what you did for your Ford. Or maybe none at all. just use it for pulling.

#11 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted November 09, 2011 - 10:35 PM

I am working on a rough sketch in google sketchup on my thoughts. I'll get it done when I have time. Don't have much time during the week when I am working. I just have time to think about ideas.

#12 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted November 10, 2011 - 02:13 AM

Interesting plan,,, the Gravely/Rapid walkers are hydros but also very spendy. The biggest thing I can think of at the moment is maintaining balance with the components, if its nose or tail heavy it isnt gonna be fun to operate, definetly drop reduction axles/housings to get more ground clearance and slow the bigger tires down. How about a hydraulic pto, not only could you control its speed but also direction, likely this would require a fair sized engine though, but would simplify a pto hook up. Separate wheel brakes would be a nice addition also.

#13 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted November 10, 2011 - 06:23 AM

definetly drop reduction axles/housings to get more ground clearance and slow the bigger tires down.

How about a PK rear , driven by a Case pump to hyd motor ,
Posted Image
POWER KING tractor rolling chassis -

#14 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,011 posts

Posted November 10, 2011 - 10:13 AM

How about a hydro with two speeds. If you want to pull a riding trailer, use hi range and low for dirt work.

#15 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted November 10, 2011 - 11:55 AM

This a great thread ! Two things I like doing , Thinking of ideas and Spending someone elses money:bigrofl: