coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted May 17, 2012 - 08:13 PM

Valves are lapped, but the shakes are back! Frustrated and have too many irons in the fire. Evrything I have touch recently has gone to crap. Cant seem to get anything fixed.

I am not sure yet but I think the shakes are related to the slop in the drive train. With the 1650a, the drive shaft is 2 pieces with 3 couplings. I started it up today and the shakes were there. I disconnected the second drive shaft and restarted it. The shakes seemed to be less. I reconnected and tried again and the shakes seemed to be worse. I did this in the space of about 10 minutes so i dont think it is a definative test. When i have somemore time I will do a more thorough test.

#32 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted January 21, 2014 - 07:32 PM

Wow, didnt know I had been working on this so long. SO here is a culmination of a few different threads That I have started over the last 2 years.

I ended up rebuilding the Kohler engine. The "shakes" had caused the flywheel to shear its key and messed up the crank. That was taken care of by brazing in the scored areas of the crank. It was covered in detail in here

http://gardentractor...ankshaft-maybe/

http://gardentractor...-save-pt2-pics/

I purchased some measuring tools and determined that the piston was out of spec but the bore was ok. I also removed the balance gears. I purchased a rebuild kit ( from ebay) and started the engine rebuild. I started going back together but I couldnt get the valves to seal. I sent the block and vlaves off for grinding and lapping ($25NAPA). I finally got the engine back together and installed. I then proceded to fry the starter. Well that was at the beginning of november 2013 and with the holidays I just didnt have time to deal with it. I got the starter installed today and she fired right up. She idles great, but doesnt want to spin up to max speed. I have played with it for about 3 hours. I think I am going to have to dig back into the carb again.

Anyway, just wanted to update the thread.

• HowardsMF155 said thank you

#33 scuffy727 OFFLINE  

scuffy727

• Contributor
  • Member No: 601
  • 131 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted January 21, 2014 - 08:19 PM

Glad to hear you haven't given up. It looks like it will be great when you finish.   Are you going to use the tractor for plowing?

#34 Cpomike OFFLINE  

Cpomike
  • Member No: 69784
  • 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted April 21, 2015 - 03:28 PM

where are you getting parts?