• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted November 06, 2011 - 09:16 AM

JD right? I don't think I've ever seen a diesel conversion done on a JD 214.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 06, 2011 - 10:39 AM

You could probably fit one of those 10hp chinese Yanmar clones in there. A K321 is a pretty big chunk of iron so the diesel may fit in there without too much trouble. I've never seen it done though.

#4 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1724
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted November 07, 2011 - 10:40 AM

You could probably fit one of those 10hp chinese Yanmar clones in there. A K321 is a pretty big chunk of iron so the diesel may fit in there without too much trouble. I've never seen it done though.

Dimensionally the China diesels (10 & 13 HP models) are about 1 to 2" taller than the Kohler engine. They also have a larger base. I plan on making some exact comparison measurements between the K321 in my Case 224 and the 10 HP diesel engine in a few weeks when I pull the Kohler out of the tractor. I will post that information once I have it.

JN
  • Cvans said thank you

#5 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,497 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted November 07, 2011 - 01:34 PM

I plan on making some exact comparison

I'm really looking forward to this as I'm going to be doing the same conversion on a Ford 165 to replace the 16hp Kohler. Where did you see a 13hp Chinese diesel? I would like to take a look at them.
Thanks

#6 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted November 07, 2011 - 03:20 PM

Where did you see a 13hp Chinese diesel?

I have seen them listed by the manufacturer at http://www.vtwinengi...ne-13hp-.html .

I am not aware that they are available through distribution here in the US but if you contact them at this website they will sell and ship direct. I would check availability before committing to purchasing.

JN

• Cvans said thank you

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 07, 2011 - 04:23 PM

I think their ratings are a bit suspect. I've seen that displacement engine advertised as 11 HP on another site. The standard 10HP job is 418cc so a modest increase to 438 wouldn't make it 13hp. Whatever the rating I'm sure it will do the job in most cases. The 20HP twin is a nice looking engine as well.

#8 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 07, 2011 - 04:33 PM

Yes,I like that v-twin diesel.

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 07, 2011 - 07:55 PM

It looks pretty compact and would pull like crazy I'm sure.

#10 snoop OFFLINE  

snoop

• Member No: 7315
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted November 08, 2011 - 10:43 AM

Site doesn't have pricing. What do you think they go for? I would also wonder about parts.

#11 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted November 08, 2011 - 03:16 PM

Not mocking the thread at all, but just ran across this. If this guy can do it on a Kawasaki bike, you oughta get one in a 214!

diesel motorcycle.jpg

#12 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted November 09, 2011 - 10:17 AM

I agree that the HP ratings are probably optimistic, but overall I think that the engine will be very capable in most GT applications. As has been discussed before in other threads it is the powerful torque of diesel engines that should make them excellent candidates for heavy duty GT use.

I would love to play with one of those v-twin's. I figure I'll be smart by working on a 10 HP China diesel conversion first and (hopefully) graduating to a twin project later.

If you e-mail the contact on that site they will respond with direct purchase pricing. I thought the pricing I saw was very reasonable, though you also have to factor in shipping. I think it would be wise to think about the disadvantages of direct buy such as no local warranty communication or representation and you need to check into possible duty and tariffs, but I believe someone said that they had purchased one direct in an earlier thread and he sounded satisfied.

I think that availability is also an issue on the v-twins at this time. Some of the US distributors (see Diesel Engines ) have been listing them for a while now, but I have not seen anyone showing them to be in stock.

JN

#13 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,413 Thanks
  • 3,163 posts

Posted November 09, 2011 - 12:10 PM

I believe it needs to meet the new tier 4 emissions if it is to be sold as new. I guess used stuff is not as much of an issue . I'm eyeing over one of the new Kohler air cooled diesels right now for a future project, size and HP is spot on, I'm afraid to look at the price though.... probably going to be in the $5K range.... ouch!

#14 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted November 10, 2011 - 10:22 AM

I believe it needs to meet the new tier 4 emissions if it is to be sold as new.

You may be right. That said, I seem to remember reading somewhere that the engine would be exempt if it is declared as for AG USE ONLY. I am not stating that this is a fact and remember - my memory is subject to random brain farts (for what it is worth).

Kohler and others are introducing interesting small diesel engines. I do think there is a special attraction to the v-twin configuration - perhaps we associate it with our fondness of the great American v-twin motorcycle engines. Then again, the v-twin scores high points on just the overall looks alone.

In a practical sense the main advantage of the v-twin (in my opinion) is the lower overall profile. If height were not an issue to us GT fans there are some really great choices of vertical twin air-cooled diesel engines available both used and new. These include brands like Hatz, Deutz, Lombardini, Lister, etc. But, is it possible to stuff a tall engine like one of these into a hoodless GT without offending the aesthetic sensibilities of us GT enthusiasts? While I suspect not, perhaps (like so many trends) one well implemented project might change minds like mine. Heck, hot rodders toss out the hood on their model T's and A's, right? Kinda like going topless..... hmmmm....? :love:

JN

#15 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted November 10, 2011 - 10:39 AM

One thing I should add regarding the air-cooled diesel engines. Be sure to consider the output shaft configuration. A lot of those engines feature a tapered output shaft designed for generator or refrigeration compressor service. While this is not necessarily a show stopper it could require some fancy machining or in some cases purchasing a different output stub (on models where different stubs are offered).

JN