• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 listerst1tractor OFFLINE  

listerst1tractor

• Member No: 7312
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted November 06, 2011 - 07:04 AM

Hey all out there.Mark Rose here in Nova Scotia.I am a true diesel nut so after 10 years of putting $50.00 per month in my 17.5 hp Poulan Pro lawn mower (just to keep my lawns mowed) I've decided to make a change.A few years back I picked up a hardly used 1977 ST1 Lister diesel engine.She runs like a trooper.Only issue is that it is set at 7.3 hp at 1800 rpm.I believe it can be set to 10 hp @ 2200 though.
My father a few years back bought a couple of 12 hp Massey hydrostatic tractors and hasn't been able to use them so offered one to me for restoration.Are parts available for these machines...like mower deck spindles,bearings and such?
Are these machines still practical to be brought back into service.I know that the quality of the tractors was great.This is a late 60's or very early 70's model.
Is there anyone out there that has installed a single cylinder Lister into one of these machines? I would be thankful for any and all advice or suggestions on the subject. Anyone with any diesel converted masseys no matter what brand diesel.All input is welcome....Thanks in advance...Mark

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 06, 2011 - 07:22 AM

Mark,welcome to the forum ,from another Nova Scotian. Where do you live ?
  • listerst1tractor said thank you

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted November 06, 2011 - 07:24 AM

Mark, :welcome: to GTTalk.

This sounds like a very interesting conversion. Hope it comes to fruition for you.
You will want to see what the original engine speed was on the 12H, the hydro will be happiest with that.

As for parts, they are getting less available. The deck is the same as what was under the MF10's and those are a little more common.

Hydro parts and parts specific to the MF12 H do show in EBay and such, if there was a MF dealer in the area, I'd put an ad in the classifieds and on CL, you never know who has what... May be 1 block over LOL

Please enjoy the site and keep us up to speed on the project.

#4 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted November 06, 2011 - 07:52 AM

Welcome to the forum. You will find some very knowledgeable Massey folks here.It sounds like you have already received some good advice from Alan.(MH81). Here is the link to a previous post on the site about a diesel conversion on a MF12. http://gardentractor...storation-4104/ Hope this helps a little. Looking forward to your updates.

#5 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted November 06, 2011 - 10:04 AM

HellO and welcome:
Listers are great engines and parts are available through them. My first diesel conversion was an LT1 into a Wheel Horse which is belt drive like your MF. Should be a fairly straight forward install. Make sure your engine rotation is correct. Good luck with your project and keep us posted with your progress.

#6 listerst1tractor OFFLINE  

listerst1tractor

• Member No: 7312
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted November 07, 2011 - 04:12 AM

Mark,welcome to the forum ,from another Nova Scotian. Where do you live ?

Thanks for all the welcomes.I look forward to the project and to learning more through this forum. BTW...Just outside of Yarmouth

#7 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1724
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted November 07, 2011 - 10:56 AM

Welcome aboard Mark!

Looking forward to reading about your project. Be sure to include a lot of pictures as you go along. Good luck with it!

JN

#8 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted November 07, 2011 - 11:12 AM

Welcome to GTTalk Mark.
Will be looking forward to your updates.
Also, that a look at our member map and find our neighbors.
Enjoy