#1 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted November 05, 2011 - 01:51 PM

We had a beautiful day here in NW Arkansas yesterday, so I took advantage of it by cleaning my wood stove and chimney, getting ready for the heating season. I finished today by resealing all of the pipe joints between the stove and the ceiling.

Just thought I'd remind all you fellow house and/or shop wood-burners to clean and check your chimneys. A little preventive maintenance could avoid a dangerous and costly chimney fire. Hopefully, yours is as easy to access as mine. Either way, be careful on the roof!

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted November 05, 2011 - 02:18 PM

I gotta tend to my chimney too, but in a different way...... take it down! It just serves as vent for my furnace & I've put a direct "thru the cellar wall" vent. The chimney has been a water leak source for years & nothing has stopped it, so doing away with it completely. But the same applies "BE CAREFUL ON THAT ROOF!

#3 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted November 06, 2011 - 08:22 AM

Thanks for the reminder!! We have the in-laws place done, but late doing ours at home, and I'm going to need to replace some pipe between the stove and the chimney this year too.
It is a must do this week!!

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted November 06, 2011 - 08:35 AM

Hardly anything scares me more than heights, and being on my 2 story house roof scares the %$#@ outta me! Not likely I can fall though, as I am too chicken to take chances. I tie off a ladder to work off, then tie myself to whatever is available. In the case of my chimney removal, my antennae mast is VERY strong, bolted across the crown of my roof, so I'll tie myself off to it. I have got light-headed up there before. Weird too, as when a child, I loved heights!

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted November 06, 2011 - 08:47 AM

Daniel, the air is thinner up that high, so light headedness is to be expected.

Used to walk roofs all the time, doing antenna installs and repairs. Then the vertigo attack happened... VERY careful up there now.
  • IamSherwood said thank you

#6 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted November 06, 2011 - 08:59 AM

.....by cleaning my fireplace and chimney, getting ready for the heating season....

Just thought I'd remind all you fellow house and/or shop wood-burners to clean and check your chimneys. A little preventive maintenance could avoid a dangerous and costly chimney fire. Hopefully, yours is as easy to access as mine. Either way, be careful on the roof!

Good advice:thumbs:, that was how I started my morning yesterday. Then the first fire of the year, sure was cozy last night.

#7 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted November 06, 2011 - 06:00 PM

My shop chimney isn't very difficult, fairly flat roof, 9' of straight pipe, "T" clean-out on the back of the stove! On the right in the picture; Picture 252a (Small).jpg ~~ grnspot

#8 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted November 06, 2011 - 06:09 PM

Did my chimney last week. I'd been a bad boy, and not done it for a year and a half. The horizontal pipe going through the wall was
one third full of ash. No wonder the smoke billowed out the door when you opened it. Wife is much happier now.
Make mental note to self.

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 07, 2011 - 04:33 PM

We have a fireplace insert on the outside wall of the family room/kitchen. It's about 37 ft to the top of the chimney box and I don't go there. We only burn maybe 1/3 cord a year just for supplemental heat or when we feel like a fire. The last time it was cleaned a few years ago the sweep said it was only a bit dusty. I should get it done again soon though, just to be safe.

#10 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted December 02, 2011 - 11:38 PM

We used the wood stove for the first time this season a week ago or so. I had given the stove a new coat of high-temp black paint, so once that cured (filling the house with smelly smoke), it's been a real joy! Hauled home the last bit of wood from a friend's house today. He's moving and had about 3-4 cords of split wood he needed to get rid of, so now I'm set for awhile! Sounds like we're in for some snow soon......

#11 plowboy OFFLINE  

plowboy

TRACTOROLOGIST

• Contributor
  • Member No: 7340
  • 133 Thanks
  • 229 posts

Posted December 03, 2011 - 06:31 AM

ditto on being safe on the roof...no "Clark Griswalds".......lol