• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 El Exorcisto OFFLINE  

El Exorcisto

• Member No: 4241
  • 15 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted November 03, 2011 - 10:02 PM

So I put together a front mounted reel gang this summer and made a turf scalping monster. I'm planning to redesign and make a tow-behind gang from 2 16" and one 18" push mowers to make somewhere between a 40"-46" cut, but I want to mount it in front of a homemade sulky. If I mount behind the sulky the tractor-sulky-gang train will be really long, and my yard can't really deal with that.

The handle mounts sit at the same height as the box to the hitch on my GardenAid. I was thinking I could just fix my three reels to the tongue of the sulky and either bend up a sheet metal or plywood cowl to keep from getting my toenails clipped and maybe use it as a place to put my feet.

I got the idea of the DIY gang from:
The Gang of Three

I would try to rig up a rider deck mounted on the front, but my engine has an integral 6:1 reduction so getting up to speed would need some pretty big belt and pulley arrangement.

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,669 Thanks
  • 28,318 posts

Posted November 04, 2011 - 05:59 AM

Can you set the gangs roughly where you want them & shoot a pic? May help us visualize.

#3 Alc OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,283 Thanks
  • 6,488 posts

Posted November 04, 2011 - 11:28 AM

Posted ImageI found this on a craiglist ad , it looks like it's a square bar dowon the middle and piviots at the attaching points , Al

#4 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 04, 2011 - 03:56 PM

Most walk behind tractor companies using real mowers together with sulkies mount one real mower on front of the tractor, and two on the drawbar of the sulky with a crossbar.

#5 El Exorcisto OFFLINE  

El Exorcisto

• Member No: 4241
  • 15 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted November 04, 2011 - 08:08 PM

The front reel needs to be powered or you can't make a turn.