19 replies to this topic

#1 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted November 03, 2011 - 07:33 PM

Recently bought an E15 at auction that is in good shape . Have read much teeth grinding about the controls and relays burning up . This being my first E15 the challenge was on . Seems the motor turns into generator upon fast reversal in spite of design efforts . Later versions do armature reversal instead of field reversal . Cold weather reading coming up and some pics - i have not forgotten this site loves pics :D

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 03, 2011 - 07:37 PM

Congratz Fred, glad you got an E15.

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,608 posts

Posted November 03, 2011 - 09:04 PM

Glad to hear an E15 has found a good home. Can't wait for some pics.

#4 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted December 01, 2012 - 10:15 PM

Recently I have been thinking that something was missing from the E-T story of startup i.e. the first run of 1970 E-15 's . Then it occured to me that an adjustable shunt resister had been put in for current measurement . The meter had a single red zone which became two later . One mowing , one heavy useage . The engineers had some idea from their testing what to expect . But what to recommend to customers ??? They probably were in the dark since it had not been done in this way before . So I am thinking they left themselves open to experiment and machine fatigue experience . With one exception - the first one off the line had to be kept as demo only . It would not be acceptible to have it fail in service . Hence it survived and was put in hands of one of the original team . A lot of thought was put into making the Elec.Traks possible and a contender . The actual value of red line current proposed and later settled on - may exist as lab notes only . It was not known to service people even. This may become known but a few mysteries won't hurt .
  • sacsr said thank you

#5 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted December 01, 2012 - 10:40 PM

I think IMO that the reason there are 2 red zones in the amp meter is that 1 scale is for mowing and the other is for when the snow blower or roto tiller is being used. The mower deck draws less amps than the other 2 attachments do.
My 1974 - EGT120 (late model tractor) dash has the 2 zones
006.JPG

My 1971 - E12 (early model tractor) dash only has 1 zone
016.JPG

Edited by DH1, December 01, 2012 - 10:49 PM.

#6 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted December 01, 2012 - 11:09 PM

Geo is so busy that if he has discussed any of this with Mr Laumeister he may not remember it . I hope we get another session with him and you can be there , Doug . Seems like small details until product reliability is factored in .

#7 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted December 01, 2012 - 11:11 PM

Next yr I plan on going to as many US electric tractor events as I can.

Edited by DH1, December 01, 2012 - 11:11 PM.

#8 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 11:41 PM

Just for fun today I added the approximate lengths of all connecting cables between batts and going to feed point to drive motor . This includes the toasters cables only 2 of which would be used at a time before full 1A 2A . I came up with about 27 feet of #6 cable , some #4 . About 20 feet is in loop before voltage is even measured . None of the cable lengths are detailed on schematics - a visual inspection of tractor does not make it obvious . The only conclusion I have is that battery safety during use and therefore operator safety is enhanced . There is little likelyhood that a very high short circuit current will be developed .My advice - don't mess with a good design.
The real problem is knowing when a cable or cables are out of tolerance resistance wise . A rule of thumb could be , yellow zone not much loss . Red and second red zone designed to have 2 - 5 volts loss intentionally depending on temperature . This makes it a little tougher to diagnose battery vs cabling issues .. But stick to original cabling design , it works .
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#9 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted November 16, 2013 - 07:45 AM

The serial number of this tractor is FN 29 708 built on a Monday . The previous Wednesday the original in-out disconnect switch was still in production . Something less but almost 1708 units were made using the knobbed disconnect as on the first one of mass production .

It is evident that the in-twist-lock was the desired version of disconnect ' Serial number FN 24583 recently was sold on Ebay with pics of the in-out knobbed switch .

The week of June 29 1970 was the prelude to July 4 and was the first break the top plant people got since startup.

#10 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted November 16, 2013 - 01:54 PM

Knob disconnect.jpg    Not very good pic , however now using camera phone . If there was a version before this switch it probably lost to history .

• MH81 said thank you

#11 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted November 18, 2013 - 12:23 AM

DSCF0161.JPG     After June 29 1970  , a simple flick of the thumb to the disconnect would kill power to all the tractor for safe dismount .  I would always unplug the mower deck at end of day also .

Much to do next year on overall maintenance .

• DH1, MH81 and sacsr have said thanks

#12 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,608 posts

Posted November 18, 2013 - 07:29 AM

Thanks Sparky, neat family photo and interesting they changed the kill switch system. Newer ones are much less awkward looking aren't they?

#13 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted November 18, 2013 - 07:36 AM

What seemed  most interesting to me was the complete lack of documentation of the old switch .  That is what can fire a person's curiosity . The replacement was probaly handled as a warranty situation .

I used to wade thru bushels of yellow sheets describing production changes  . Same everywhere I think .

#14 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted November 18, 2013 - 07:53 PM

Thanks for the pictures Good Stuff

And as far as the switch goes, maybe they just found them on there stock shelves and used what they had.???

• Sparky said thank you

#15 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted November 18, 2013 - 09:21 PM

My curiosity is such as this  - what was really in mind when the go ahead was given in summer of 69 . They held out for the one switch solution  that worked well . We know many consultants were involved  .  Maybe we will get another chance to chat with the original crew .