• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 whubert OFFLINE  

whubert

• Member No: 6039
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted November 03, 2011 - 05:32 PM

My newer 318 with the P218 motor as long as I have had it had somewhat of a grinding noise while it cranked. It usually started quickly. Occassionally the starter would engage and lock up. I would have to push one of the fan blades on the flywheel backwards to release it:bounce:

Then last year it would not turn the engine over at all. So I pulled the engine and starter and found that the shaft of the starter had actually broken in two just beyond the gear. So even though the starter would still turn, it could not adequately engage the ring gear.

The ring gear had a number of teeth that were some what mushed up but it was snowing and I needed it running. So I reassembled. With the new starter it made just as much groaning noise as the other one. It got me into the summer and took more and more tries to get an engagement.

So now I have pulled the engine again and boy the ring gear is not a pretty sight. However the drive gear on the starter looks fine. I have ordered a new ring gear.

So the question is what to look for with the reinstallation. On the B43 engine they talk in the manual about setting the gear lash, but for the P218 it says there is no lash setting.

Any clues would be appreciated.

Bill

#2 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted November 04, 2011 - 08:58 AM

Heat it up and it will pop right off

#3 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 3,869 posts

Posted November 04, 2011 - 09:07 AM

I remember the old B48M was adjustable but I am not sure about the P series.

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted November 04, 2011 - 11:09 AM

I know on the BF & othyer B series, the starter had 2 mounting bolt holes. One was plain round, with the other being elongated to allow tightening the gear lash. Look at your starter mount tab. If both holes are perfect circles, then there is no adjustment.

#5 Lawnguy OFFLINE  

Lawnguy

• Member No: 4947
  • 7 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted November 05, 2011 - 07:35 AM

I just looked at the starter on my P218 and their round, no adjustment. Mine allways made a grinding noise too, but never locked up. I had just the opposite problem were as the starter wouldn't engage and I'd have to click it a few times to get it to kick in. Going to look into this a little more since I'm in the middle of my rebuild!

#6 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted November 06, 2011 - 07:03 AM

Just wondering , what locates the starter to the housing ? Can't picture how the starter mounts could you take a picture of it ? Thanks , Al

#7 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3300
  • 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted June 23, 2012 - 07:19 PM

ok, my 318 has developed a similiar issue, sometimes i'm getting a gring noise during start or immediatly after it starts and i put the key to run,

i thinking i should get a look at that ring gear, any thoughts?

jk