tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted January 06, 2012 - 08:35 AM

Looking great, really love the front end.

#122 DanP OFFLINE  

DanP

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6989
  • 276 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted January 07, 2012 - 06:57 PM

I worked most of the day on it. I made the headlight bracket and a big thanks to Iamsherwood for giving me the size of it so I could make it. I made a jig to hold the hose so I could make a straight cut. I finished most of the wiring and buffed the hood and dash. I tried to get it running but it didn't want to run. It would fire but not stay running. I had the motor running before I put it in so I just need to do some adjusting. That will be tomorrows project. I got some bad news from the company that was rebuilding the electric lift motor. I had the hydraulic part working fine when I sent it to them and they have the motor working but when they put them together it binds up. I told them to send it back to me and I will work on it. It is very touchy about getting the end of the armature down in the drive mechanism of the pump so I am hoping that is all it is. Next week I will get the hood decals on and if I get the lift unit to work I will be all done except for a few touch up details. I hope all this works out.
P1070130.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• P1060129.jpg

#123 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted January 07, 2012 - 07:30 PM

Will be great to see it done with decals and all. It looks AWESOME! Hopefully you can get the engine and lift both squared away without to much difficulty. Congrats on a great build, you have put a LOT of effort into it the past few weeks.

#124 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,093 posts

Posted January 07, 2012 - 08:19 PM

Dan.You did an excellent job on this tractor.Hope you get all the bugs worked out.

#125 DanP OFFLINE  

DanP

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 276 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted January 08, 2012 - 01:22 PM

I can not get the motor to run, it worked fine when I had it out of the frame. Now that is all painted up it doesn't want to run. I have spark I have fuel in the carb it does hit once in a while but wont stay running. I cleaned out the jets in the carb and even opened that little equalizer hole on the side. I am not sure what to do next. I remember when I worked on these motors at the implement store that Tecumceh carbs were a real problem and I swore more than once that I would take the carb off and smash it to pieces with a hammer.
I guess I will keep working on it until I figure it out.

#126 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 08, 2012 - 02:04 PM

Just a couple of thoughts. Do you have good strong spark and a good ground from the engine chassis back to the battery. After painting there may not be a good connection. I'm dreading dealing with the Tec carb on my 8 when it goes back together. It was running but gas was coming out of the carb when I started the restoration.

#127 DanP OFFLINE  

DanP

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 276 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted January 08, 2012 - 03:46 PM

I have good spark at the plug and even using a tester. I have known some plugs that did not fire under compression so I tried a different plug, no change. I was reading some carb threads and remembered about the service nozzle so I took it out and it was the original as it should be since this is a brand new engine. I cut a groove in it around the pin hole and put it back in, no difference. Now keep in mind I had this motor running before I painted it and put it in the GT. When I painted it I taped up the ing modual and pins on the flywheel. I did not check them for paint when I was done but they should not matter if they have paint on them as they are not making electrical contact they are just trigger points. The only other thing I can think of is I had to loosen up the exhaust valve as it was sticking from rust or something setting around all those years. I took the plug out and watched the valves as I turned it over and they seam to be working ok. Maybe they are the problem and I need to clean them better. I don't think it is fuel because I did what any good shade tree mechanic would do and tried some starting fluid. I never got any fire from that.
So it has to be something from the paint or the valves. I can't hear any blow back from the valve but they could still be sticking enough to cause this. I have the engine all painted and clear coated and I do not want to mess it all up by taking the shroud and head off. So I am looking for any ideas before I do this.

#128 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 08, 2012 - 03:58 PM

Does it have compression? Should blow you thumb off the spark plug hole.

#129 DanP OFFLINE  

DanP

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 276 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted January 08, 2012 - 06:00 PM

I never thought to check that. I have a really bad head cold today and my brain is not working very well. I did go check it and it will blow my thumb off but not very strong. I am thinking the valve is hanging. A couple times when the engine did fire it backfires through the carb.

#130 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,218 Thanks
  • 28,589 posts

Posted January 08, 2012 - 07:15 PM

It should have centrifugal compression release. may not have a ton of compression at the start. Squirt a little carb cleaner in the spark plug hole, screw it back in & see if it fires. You may have a fuel problem.

#131 DanP OFFLINE  

DanP

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 276 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted January 11, 2012 - 09:16 PM

Well back to the restoration thread now that I have the motor running. What a dumb mistake, oh well. So tonight I put the hood on the lights in and general things back together. A lot of it was temporary for some photos but most of it is just minor. I still have a major issue with the lift motor but I will get it figure out some how. I added up my hours tonight and I have 154 hours in it so far plus a lot more running after parts and doing research. I have gotten so much help from people on this site it is amazing. The seat is just temporary until I get the templates to make the inner seat and get it upholstered. I am trying to decide if I should use the original muffler or the upright muffler. I think I will start another thread and let people vote on it. Here are some pictures of when I first found it and what it looks like tonight,
PA190257.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• P1110131.jpg
  • P1110132.jpg
  • P1110133.jpg
  • P1110134.jpg
  • P1110135.jpg
  • PB020003.jpg

Edited by MH81, January 11, 2012 - 10:18 PM.
Fixed broken attachment link

#132 whitelt120 OFFLINE  

whitelt120

• Member No: 5024
  • 17 Thanks
  • 119 posts

Posted January 11, 2012 - 09:59 PM

It Looks terrific! Great job Dan!

#133 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 11, 2012 - 10:02 PM

:ditto: Good Stuff.

#134 markdombroski OFFLINE  

markdombroski

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6157
  • 196 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted January 11, 2012 - 10:44 PM

Very awesome looking! My vote is to keep the upright muffler.

#135 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted January 11, 2012 - 10:49 PM

Nice!