Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

How do you guys organize a "Plow Day " event?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted April 06, 2012 - 07:19 AM

My daughter and her husband have about eight acres that has not been touched in over ten years. Yesterday he was talking about plowing it and seeding it in pasture grass and I was talking to him about the possibility of holding a plow day. There is a section line road running from the main road to the field so access would not be a problem.

A few questions come to mind.

They live just a few miles north of me in Northwest Lower Michigan. Looking at the member map is seems there aren't many GTtalk members up here. How would they go about advertizing the event? Would eight acres be enough area to also include class and antique farm tractors?

Also MH81 mentioned needing insurance. Where would they look to find insurance for holding a plow day?

Since the field is covered in native grass what kind of preparation would have to be done?

For right now those are about the only question I am smart enough to ask. Anything else that needs to be considered?

Edited by GTTinkerer, April 06, 2012 - 07:20 AM.

#17 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,609 posts

Posted April 06, 2012 - 10:44 PM

They live just a few miles north of me in Northwest Lower Michigan. Looking at the member map is seems there aren't many GTtalk members up here. How would they go about advertizing the event?

Bill, I would contact any area Tractor Clubs. If they could involve a well organized club, then at least some of the contact, legwork, logistics, and insurance would be handled.

Would eight acres be enough area to also include class and antique farm tractors?

Depends on turnout. I would think you might want to set aside some ground for the GT's, Walk-behinds, you might even be contacted by someone with a team of horses. with modest turnout, it'd be a morning event. (Limit tractors to two bottoms max) setting up a tent to have a thresherman's lunch is always a hit.

Also MH81 mentioned needing insurance. Where would they look to find insurance for holding a plow day?

Whoever they have their homowners policy thru should be able to direct them. If they are hosting an outside organization, make sure the agent knows this as it will probably reduce the amount that he / she would suggest.

Since the field is covered in native grass what kind of preparation would have to be done?

I'd say, outside of marking the no-no areas and putting in a good "Starting Furrow" most people understand what needs to happen. If it's tall grass, the participants would appreciate it if it was mowed a week or so in advance.

For right now those are about the only question I am smart enough to ask. Anything else that needs to be considered?

Don't forget a few garbage cans, a porta-john, some way to wash hands, and a donations jar or two. Everyone thinks it'd be a great idea to have a plow day because you get your field plowed for free, but there are always expenditures that fall upon the land owner or club. It's been my experience that people will put something in to say thank you.

#18 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted April 07, 2012 - 06:47 AM

In my case, I didn't have a "plow-able" area due to conservation farming practices. So I decided on a "garden tractor trail ride", I had attended one a couple hours from me. The main idea was just to have an event for garden tractor enthusiasts to get together anyway, so the type of event isn't set in stone. I have a picnic ground at my mother's farm already set up & trails cut in the timber for my own use.

I inquired about interest on a couple of websites, set up a date.

My first annual "Garden Tractor Trail Ride" was attended by 23 people w/ 18 tractors last September. I was very satisfied with attendance for the first event, many attendees seemed to think it will only get bigger, which is fine with me.

HPIM0554 (2).jpg

HPIM0553 - Copy.JPG

HPIM0563 (2).jpg

The main thing seems to be find a location & let it be know when & where! ~~ Lowell
  • MH81 and Newpaws493 have said thanks

#19 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted April 12, 2012 - 09:22 PM

Well I have pondered this seriously and decided to leave it up to the places better suited for such an event.
Thanks to all that had an intrest , but it just can't be had in my area . Thanks again.

For what it may be worth, don't be the first to give up on this concept, whether it be to plow or to show or just show up.
Something viable should/could be able to happen betwixt NY to Canada, give your 'brain baby' a chance.
Don't lose your spark...This potential "Northeastern roundup" has me inspired to get my lil' 650 ready for the dance.
If she's not ready in time I'll bring posters and the first case of beer (should you need to have one handy..)

Did you happen to hear the news story today, where medical staff gave up
on a premie newborn?;Thank goodness-The parents didn't.
:poke:
  • johndeereelfman said thank you

#20 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 12, 2012 - 09:31 PM

I like the idea of a trail ride, just wish I had trails... Heck, have the old B&O RR (now the North Bend Rails to Trails, which is part of a State Park) which would be cool to ride GTs on, especially through the old tunnels, as well as some bridges... But last I checked they don't allow 4-wheelers and the such, so I doubt a GT would be allowed. Mabey I should look into it... could be heck of an event if allowed.

Just checked... "No motorized vehicles allowed on trails"

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, April 12, 2012 - 09:34 PM.

#21 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,419 Thanks
  • 39,669 posts

Posted April 13, 2012 - 05:54 AM

Keith, you have a lot of members in the area up there. Probably a few more for 'other' forums. Keep the thought going amongst the folks and maybe it could happen. Even a friendly get together among a few can grow into something larger.

#22 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted April 13, 2012 - 06:35 AM

Casey,
Hear in Michigan every fall they hold a rather strange event for classic and antique farm tractors where they are allowed to drive them across the 5 or so mile Mackinaw Bridge. The 2012 crossing will be on September 14th. http://www.mackinawc...r-crossing-136/ and http://www.bobstractorpartscorner.com/ In 2011they had a record 820 tractors make the crossing. I have never asked if they allow Garden Tractors as I don't really like driving across that bridge in a pickup truck.

A few years back a few of us from a local garden tractor pulling club worked on an idea of riding lawn and garden tractors across Michigan, from Advance on Lake Michigan to Alpena on Lake Huron which is about 120 miles. Planned on stopping overnight near the half way point and camping.. Just never got around to working out all the details and the idea fizzled. Big problem was during the good weather there are so many "flat landers" (tourists) up here the roads are pretty congested. We were going to do it to raise funds for the American Legion Posts along the way.

Perhaps there is something similar you could do in your area with the Lawn and Garden tractors. Just gotta "think outside the box".

Edited by GTTinkerer, April 13, 2012 - 06:43 AM.

#23 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted April 13, 2012 - 08:14 PM

Keith,

If it were me, I'd just start out with a Garden Tractor Show. See how many people show up. Be satisfied with what you can do, and don't be disappointed with the things you can't. Build the show up, and then after it becomes big enough, to the point where you need more space, you might be surprised at what other options will be offered or will come available from other members. Follow your gut, and do what you feel is right. With the hobby growing at the high rate of speed that it is, you'll wish you would have done this sooner.

I have known so many guys that wanted to start a Tractor Show, but didn't, just because they didn't have enough room for a tractor pull. Nothing against a tractor pull, and thumbs up to you guys that do it. But a tractor pull doesn't make a good Tractor Show. Same as a Plow Day. Yes, they are fun, and yes, it's nice to be able to go out and work the field with your favorite garden tractor, but the fellowship between the members getting together, showing off their tractors, and just swapping stories, are the things that make an event special and enjoyable.

Good luck to you, in whatever you decide, and I hope things work out for you.

Take Care,
Troy

Edited by johndeereelfman, April 25, 2012 - 06:09 PM.

• MH81, wvbuzzmaster and Newpaws493 have said thanks

#24 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 3,158 posts

Posted April 25, 2012 - 05:49 PM

Well I am going to go ahead and have a plow morning anyway, Saturday May 5th syarting at ,say, 8 am , bring your GT and bottom plow and a coffee cup for some commradery and plowing. The plowing may turn into a challenge, as it is hilly.
Directions are easy ,
386 Whitney St.
Gardner ,MA 01440
off Rt. 68 about 3 miles from exit 20 off Rt.2 .

Edited by skyrydr2, April 25, 2012 - 06:07 PM.

• MH81 and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#25 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,419 Thanks
  • 39,669 posts

Posted April 25, 2012 - 05:56 PM

If I were closer, I'd be there, Keith! If nothing else but to have a cup and shoot the breeze. Good luck!
  • skyrydr2 said thank you

#26 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted April 25, 2012 - 06:10 PM

Glad to hear Keith. You'll have fun, and it will be well worth your decision to continue. Enjoy!
  • skyrydr2 said thank you

#27 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 3,158 posts

Posted April 25, 2012 - 06:14 PM

Thanks guys :)

#28 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 3,158 posts

Posted April 26, 2012 - 05:18 AM

Long range weather is looking pretty good too, so who in the NewEngland area is up for a Saturday get together?

#29 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted April 26, 2012 - 06:54 AM

Well I talked the talk, guess it's time for a little walkin', don't think I'll be trailerin' anything but I'd like to be there!

#30 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 3,158 posts

Posted April 26, 2012 - 05:07 PM

Newpaws, looking forward to the get-together, now if Peter comes down from NH that would be great, there is a lot of material to turn over :)