Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Does anyone pot up plants inside for the winter ?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted November 03, 2011 - 05:50 AM

I'm sure after this weeks cold weather all my pepper plants will be dead but I read that if you pinched off all the fruits the trim them back you could put them in pots inside the house next to a sunny window for next year . Has anyone tried that with peppers or any other plants ? (My mom does that with some flowers .)Thanks , Al

#2 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted November 03, 2011 - 06:25 AM

I do with a couple of flowers, but dont see the point for peppers......try it and see how they make out

#3 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 03, 2011 - 07:55 AM

Never have done it with peppers. The wife decided to leave the Sage, Thyme, Chives etc in the row and see if thy would not come back up next spring. I may move them to the bed with the perenials(asparagus, Dill & Horseradish) next year She also started Two pots about 10" wide and 2 ft long, with herbs she uses daily in the house for use over the winter.

I see no reason peppers would not do ok? Unless they set fruit based on the number of daylight sun they get?
I had a nice crop of peppers this year. My father on the other hand(who only lives 3 miles away) had beautiful plants, that never set fruit until late August?

#4 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted November 03, 2011 - 11:07 AM

I think things such as pepper plants have a certain life regardless of conditions. And disturbing the mature roots would likely do them in anyway.

Edited to add: I've got the stomach crud & didn't read right. I see the plants have always been potted. I see no reason they wouldn't last a while longer inside, but if already stopped blooming, they likely won't come back.

Edited by olcowhand, November 03, 2011 - 03:08 PM.

#5 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted November 03, 2011 - 12:34 PM

I have never tried it with peppers, or anything else in the garden. I take some potted plants inside, ferns and a couple begonias. If you try the peppers, let us know how it comes out.

#6 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted November 06, 2011 - 11:03 PM

Guess I won't know if the peppers would have made it or not , I've been working 16 hour days for 9 days now from the snow storm we had Oct 29th. Maybe tomorrow I'll be home after just an 8 hour shift to see what's left of the garden , the wife said all the sweet potato and peppers wilted and dead . Hope to get those sweet potatoes dug before they rot .

#7 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted November 07, 2011 - 01:36 AM

I have some sweet potatoes to dig too, I mowed the vines off before frost, so it doesn't get to the potato , but with all the moisture we had this fall I think i'm going to can them. i've never been able to get them dried right to keep when we had this much rain.
good luck with yours
  • Alc said thank you

#8 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4180
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted November 07, 2011 - 05:53 AM

My sister had a few peppers she kept for longer than a year by bringing them inside. I think it tried to produce but we don't keep our house very warm in the winter so it didn't do so well.. Supposedly peppers don't die in the fall in warmer climates. They are almost like a tree and produce year after year, I have also read they are most productive in their second year. My sister had some Guatemalan peppers that supposedly got to 8 ft like a small tree and produced annually in Guatemalan.
  • Alc and JD DANNELS have said thanks

#9 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted November 07, 2011 - 08:27 AM

Supposedly peppers don't die in the fall in warmer climates. They are almost like a tree and produce year after year, I have also read they are most productive in their second year.

Well then I've learned something! Not sure if that applies to Bell Peppers, but I do know they have a woody stalk.

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 08, 2011 - 11:39 AM

That is an intersting post! Had I known that I might have left them(Bell and Jalepeno) to grow another year. They were in the same row as some of the herbs the wife wanted to save. And I might not have had to mow them off?

#11 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted November 08, 2011 - 01:34 PM

That is an intersting post! Had I known that I might have left them(Bell and Jalepeno) to grow another year. They were in the same row as some of the herbs the wife wanted to save. And I might not have had to mow them off?

They would never overwinter outside in cold weather climates.

Edited by olcowhand, November 08, 2011 - 06:12 PM.

#12 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4180
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted November 08, 2011 - 06:09 PM

It would probably have to be a place where they don't get frost. I am by no means an expert and don't have experience in this, just what I have heard or read and my sister tried it with some success.

#13 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted November 09, 2011 - 06:13 AM

Won't be able to try potting the peppers this year after ten 16 hour days I got home at my normal time yesterday the peppers , sweet potatoes and regular potatoes where all wilted and dead. The lettuce planted in Sept is looking good , I'll take pictures and put them in another post , Al