• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 03, 2011 - 09:23 AM

The thing about snow removal is you think you have it all figured out and then a storm comes along and dumps snow that is beyond anything you've seen or the temperature is such that as soon as you clear a spot it instantly freezes and then you can't get any traction without chains. It's a big challenge. The simplest solution, which is what most people do around here, is to use a blower. One of the times my neighbour borrowed my Ariens was when he tried to blow one of those flyer packs that was hidden in the snow at the end of the driveway. It seized in the impeller and it took him hours to get it out. Bent the drive shaft. Cost about 75$ for the parts to fix it. Watch out for those flyers if they deliver them in your area.
  • trowel said thank you

#17 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted November 03, 2011 - 09:35 AM

Gibby, i may have a coil for you, today is firewood day so i may not be able to pop the flywheel off of the other h70 untill tonight or tommorow, i will test it in the parts engine and be able to confirm if it's good, will you need a condencer and points also ?
  • Gibby said thank you

#18 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted November 03, 2011 - 09:41 AM

(bump)
thanks, i will watch out for the flyers along with big chunks of ice the snowplows leave on the end of driveways, i had to use a digging bar and a jack hammer to breabitk down a chunk that stopped my brothers bolens in it's tracks last winter, luckly nothing broke,

#19 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted November 03, 2011 - 10:57 AM

Boy, I'm glad I wasn't the only one that got murdered with snow! I blew 2 ujoints and 2 pto drive belts blowing that crap! Wet heavy and lots of it! 30" of it to be blunt! My single stage Bolens blower mounted to my diesel, hurt it bad. Took me about 6 hrs to get mostly cleaned up. I now need to find a new pto driveshaft for the blower, anyone know where I could find such an animal?
  • trowel said thank you

#20 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 03, 2011 - 03:33 PM

(bump)
thanks, i will watch out for the flyers along with big chunks of ice the snowplows leave on the end of driveways, i had to use a digging bar and a jack hammer to breabitk down a chunk that stopped my brothers bolens in it's tracks last winter, luckly nothing broke,

My neighbour soaked the jammed flyers with water and chiselled them out when they froze. He thought that one up himself and it worked pretty well. The dealer told me they burn them out with a torch. Personally I'd prefer not to burn them but I guess that is the fastest way.
  • trowel said thank you

#21 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted November 03, 2011 - 06:23 PM

Williamsburg, Ma., total snow depht was 3 feet 5 inches, 4 feet in some places.

UH, NO. Thats too much of the white stuff. Glad you and the family are ok. You may want to think about moving south :D
  • trowel said thank you

#22 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted November 04, 2011 - 08:46 AM

Southern weather sounds great right now but this is my home now, mother nature can dump all she wants onto me, i'll just figure a way out, rain, snow, hail, whatever , bring it you %$& !, give me something to live for :mad2::shoot3:
anyways,...moving on, burning out the flyers is not a bad idear so long as it is low temp, i would not want to burn off my expensive high gloss paint covered in silicon in the chute and auger bucket, worked great to keep most of the snow from sticking and clugging up everything, i still want to replace the chute with a taller plastic one,

#23 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 04, 2011 - 03:55 PM

My big Ariens has a tall metal chute. I don't know how the plastic ones would hold up if you have a lot of gravel around your property. I don't know if there is such a thing as a low temp. flame! LOL. Lets hope this storm isn't an indicator of how the winter will go.

#24 smasher OFFLINE  

smasher

• Member No: 6997
  • 18 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted November 08, 2011 - 10:52 PM

This is what canadian winters look like lol this is mee digging out the back door of the shop
snow.jpg

#25 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,522 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted November 09, 2011 - 04:35 AM

This is what canadian winters look like lol this is mee digging out the back door of the shop
[ATTACH=CONFIG]24534[/ATTACH]

I'm glad I'm in Tulsa. No way I'd put up with that much snow!

#26 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 09, 2011 - 05:27 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24534[/ATTACH]

Not quite true,I live Nova Scotia,and last Winter,I don't think we got more than a foot and a half where I live.If you don't count drifts.

#27 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,522 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted November 09, 2011 - 05:41 AM

That 14" we got last year is more than I care for. They just don't have the equipment down here to get us to the main streets.