trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted November 02, 2011 - 03:34 PM

I think the picures will say it all
8 1/4 hr's lator i cracked the casting holding the main drive pully and platter disk trying to dig out my mother before she froze to death, was without power for 4 days,
this is why 7 hp tecumseh engines don't last up here.....much less the blowers themselves...

Attached Thumbnails

• PA290090.jpg
  • PA290089.jpg
  • PA290091.jpg

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 02, 2011 - 03:44 PM

Wow,that's a lot of snow. Where do you live?
  • trowel said thank you

#3 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,695 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted November 02, 2011 - 03:53 PM

:ditto:

Looks like the heavy wet snow too :(
  • trowel said thank you

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 02, 2011 - 03:55 PM

Is that a plow berm you are trying to blow out? I always go at them at an angle when the snow is wet and heavy to reduce the load on the blower.
  • trowel said thank you

#5 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted November 02, 2011 - 03:57 PM

Williamsburg, Ma., total snow depht was 3 feet 5 inches, 4 feet in some places.

Attached Thumbnails

• PB020098.jpg
  • PB020099.jpg

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 02, 2011 - 04:02 PM

That's a serious amount of snow Trowel. I had no idea anyone got that much snow out of that Noreaster. I hope you can get that fixed before you need it again! We got 98cm (about 3ft) back in 2004 in February. My driveway is 300 ft. and I had a 5hp blower. 10hrs total time and that was going out during the storm to blow it out.
  • trowel said thank you

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted November 02, 2011 - 04:24 PM

Holy Snow! Sorry to hear of the Airens early demise. Hope it's at least a month before you need it again.
  • trowel said thank you

#8 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted November 02, 2011 - 04:40 PM

I hope so too, i just made enough money to turn the internet back on only to have mother nature empty my pockets again, my brother's h70 tecumseh on the bolens was puking up it's guts, no piston rings left, it was due for rings, head gasket and seals, this week which i have in the shed, after driving for an hr. looking for gas for and canned goods my sister told me he was in trouble, i drove up to the farm and found a yellow snowblower covered in oil and a frantic brother, ''this is the last time this engine will run again, start it up and get what you can out of it'' i said, 2 quarts of oil, 2 1/2 hr's lator the recoil rope snapped after stalling it for the 20th time, he started at 8 am that morning, 3/4 of the driveway was finish at 2 pm, i removed the valve blowby cover plate and dipstick to relieve crankcase pressure before killing it, it was very painfull to watch it gut itself, it still hurts to think about it,

#9 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted November 02, 2011 - 05:05 PM

1965 Ariens parts snow blower i bought yesterday, put in new axle bushings and rubber tire drive today.
A seized h70 my friend killed during the storm im using for parts,

Attached Thumbnails

• PB020103.jpg
  • PB020102.jpg

#10 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted November 02, 2011 - 06:31 PM

JDBrian, that is the 8 inch high concret patio in frount of my mothers house on the left of the picture, the snow had drifted to 4 feet between the house and the car, the plow berm is on the other side, i should of taken picture of it, it was as tall as me, i could not throw snow any higher and blew it forwards, the space between the car and the patio did not allow for me to go at it at a angle, i worked the blower side to side chewing my way thru, the picture was taken at around 9:30 am, just as the sun was starting to melt the heavy snow into heavier snow.
10 hr.'s is a very long run, you must of been a human popsicle after that during a storm, what kind of snowblower did you use ? it must of been a john deere to be able to withstand that kind of abuse, spin on a dime and give back a 2 cent change,...:D
im ordering a Honda GX series engine tommorow for my brother, as soon as i get it i will post pictures of the build so others can follow if needed be,
  • MH81 said thank you

#11 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 02, 2011 - 07:06 PM

JDBrian, that is the 8 inch high concret patio in frount of my mothers house on the left of the picture, the snow had drifted to 4 feet between the house and the car, the plow berm is on the other side, i should of taken picture of it, it was as tall as me, i could not throw snow any higher and blew it forwards, the space between the car and the patio did not allow for me to go at it at a angle, i worked the blower side to side chewing my way thru, the picture was taken at around 9:30 am, just as the sun was starting to melt the heavy snow into heavier snow.
10 hr.'s is a very long run, you must of been a human popsicle after that during a storm, what kind of snowblower did you use ? it must of been a john deere to be able to withstand that kind of abuse, spin on a dime and give back a 2 cent change,...:D
im ordering a Honda GX series engine tommorow for my brother, as soon as i get it i will post pictures of the build so others can follow if needed be,

Trowel, we were lucky to avoid that storm. It was all rain by the time it got to us. Those older Ariens blowers are one tough customer.
That 2004 storm started overnight. I went out in the morning and blew it out with my 5hp 24"MTD. Went back in the house for a couple of hours then back out and blew it again, finishing as it got dark. It was still snowing hard. I blew it out a third time the next morning after it finally stopped snowing. I nearly cooked the little 5hp Tecumseh.
I got a new blower that spring from the JD/Ariens dealer. Its the biggest Ariens they had in stock at the time. 11HP commercial duty with cast iron transmission and a differential. I got a discount because it was April. I still have it and it is a beast. We lost our power for 5 days after that storm. I did not have a generator, so lost all the food in the fridge and freezer and lost 2 days of pay at work. We have wood back up heat so we didn't freeze. We had to hire a Front end loader to clear the snow on our dirt road and thankfully he cleared the ends of the driveways as he went. I've never seen anything like it since then and I don't want to.

#12 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted November 02, 2011 - 07:40 PM

Hopfully you never will, if so, you got the BIG ariens :D, (i want one too!), Ariens is built to last for shure, i should be shocked that mines broke but im not, it was made in 1974-76 and has seen many years of snow so it's time to be retired, have a feeling this storm is only the beginning for us in ma. hence the reason for a Honda engine and my mil-spec twin cylinder engine on a small tough little blower, easy to transport also seeing as im always having to dig out members of the family,:wallbanging:

#13 Gibby OFFLINE  

Gibby

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4886
  • 96 Thanks
  • 360 posts

Posted November 03, 2011 - 01:35 AM

If you have an extra coil from one of those Ariens, I'd be willing to buy it from you, I have a snow king tecumseh on an Ariens with no spark.

#14 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 03, 2011 - 08:28 AM

Hopfully you never will, if so, you got the BIG ariens :D, (i want one too!), Ariens is built to last for shure, i should be shocked that mines broke but im not, it was made in 1974-76 and has seen many years of snow so it's time to be retired, have a feeling this storm is only the beginning for us in ma. hence the reason for a Honda engine and my mil-spec twin cylinder engine on a small tough little blower, easy to transport also seeing as im always having to dig out members of the family,:wallbanging:

On my street which is a private dirt road that we all pay to maintain, almost everyone has a blower or an ATV with a plow. I'm the only one who has a tractor, but I also keep the blower for really heavy snow and as a backup. I've had to lend it to a neighbour a few times when his Murray blower was broken. I'd like to get a blower for the rear pto on the 2320. I need to find a used one as they are 2K+ new. A blower is the best way to deal with large snowfalls IMO. I plow because I like to keep the ice down to a minimum and using a blower alone lead to ice buildup on the hill of my driveway.

#15 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted November 03, 2011 - 08:44 AM

Sounds like you are the go-to-guy regarding the removal of snow, very cool and kind of you to lend out the blower, wish you lived on my street, all the old timers have moved out or passed away and new self-centered yuppie have moved in bringing their city attitude with them,
last winter i had my 54 speedex walk behind to plow with and my mother's tired ariens blower as back up, the plow really does help with the ice, i may use my DB 104 to plow with this winter,