10 replies to this topic

#1 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3766
  • 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted November 02, 2011 - 09:26 AM

my question is will this work with minimal or no modifications. i know that 147's are always factory electric lift. however the electric lift on these tractors has always been problem prone. i was wondering if i could convert it over to hydrulic lift with a narrow frame style pump like what you might find on any other narrow frame tractor with that belt driven pump style lift. there are several of these units on ebay right now. also is the rockshaft the same between the hydrualic lift and the electric lift? im guessing that they would be the same and it looks like the cylinder would just fit in place of the actuator. my tractor has a replacement actuator but i do not like it. it is an older warner electric unit but it lifts the snowblower way too slowly for my liking.

i know you guys said something about a newer warner electric actuator but they arent cheap 3-400 bucks i could easily go with a hyd unit and spend less money.

what are your thoughts about it?

#2 Sergeant OFFLINE  

Sergeant

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4149
  • 44 Thanks
  • 135 posts

Posted November 02, 2011 - 06:03 PM

Yes it won't be a Problem at all The rocker shaft is the same as the electric lift:thumbs:

#3 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted November 03, 2011 - 09:04 PM

Expect to pay anywhere from 300-350 for a narrow frame hydraulic lift. They are not cheap. If you want a cheaper alternative buy a complete manual lift off of a 106, 126, 107 and bolt it on and then buy a spring assist and install it. I use a spring assist on my 107 with both my snowblower and my Brinley plow and it lifts pretty easy. I like letting my spring assist's on my tractors in the summer for mowing as well. If you set the manual lift on float and have the spring assist setup right it helps the deck from scalping on uneven spots in the yard.

#4 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted November 04, 2011 - 10:01 AM

i have a manual lift off a cub cadet 100. i was thinking about using it but i dont have the bracket necessary to hook up front lift attachments like my qa42.

#5 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted November 04, 2011 - 09:43 PM

That bracket can be very easily fabricated out of a piece of 1/4" by 2 1/4" flat stock 12" long. Could also purchase one from any of the IH Cub Cadet parts guys for little cost. I think the last one I bought I gave 10 bucks for. If you wanna make one I can get you dimensions if you like.

#6 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted November 08, 2011 - 11:58 AM

i bought a narrow frame hydraulic lift unit, you guys are right they are not cheap but its not like its something that is going to loose value. buy adding this to my tractor it probably makes the tractor worth another 500 bucks. the unit was 400 bucks and the bidding was crazy at the last few minutes. it was cheap but i had the money since my wife won a settlement recently. she didnt mind me spending it on my tractor, what a wonderful wife i have. truthfully it will make the tractor much easier for her to operate if we ever had a really bad snow storm while im at work.

#7 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted November 09, 2011 - 09:53 PM

Congrats on the find. Sounds like a win, win for you.

#8 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted November 10, 2011 - 12:47 AM

i think it will be cool to have a 147 with hydraulic lift, something that IH never produced. i wonder why?? the electric lift is pretty much junk. they worked ok when new but didnt last. do i have to drill any holes in the frame in order for this to work since the 147 frame is slightly different than other narrow frame tractors and they never produced a 147 with this setup?

#9 Sergeant OFFLINE  

Sergeant

Tractorholic

• 44 Thanks
  • 135 posts

Posted November 12, 2011 - 04:23 PM

No the Hydraulic lift Kits uses existing holes in Frame Just Like the electric Lift Kit used existing holes Well series 5 is the Only series That Had the electric Lift for all Models by Series 6 the Only Models that they advertised electric lift for was the Manual driven Tractors Because they Had Hydrostatic transmissions Ported for Series 6 so they didn't need to worry about a separate Pump to run the Hydraulic lift They electric Lift in series 5 was Meant to Be less of a hassle to install Because You didn’t Have to take the drive shaft off to change a Belt like You did for the Hydraulic Pump and they still have actuator Rebuild Kits available for the electric actuators Myself when My 40 Year old actuator Goes I’ll replace it with a Modern Warner actuator just to sort of keep my Series 5 106 as it was supposed to be. But I agree I wish they had stayed with the Hydraulic lift for series 5 Because it was much faster than the actuator But the Modern Warner electric actuators are Much faster than what they were 40 years ago But I have seen a lot of series 5 around me with the older Hydraulic lift kits :thumbs:

#10 raky1960 OFFLINE  

raky1960

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7579
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted November 26, 2011 - 01:37 PM

This whole thread was very helpful to me. Just bought a Cub Cadet 1250 with QA36 snowblower, 44A Mower and 1A tiller for 500 bucks.

#11 Sergeant OFFLINE  

Sergeant

Tractorholic

• 44 Thanks
  • 135 posts

Posted November 27, 2011 - 03:22 PM

This whole thread was very helpful to me. Just bought a Cub Cadet 1250 with QA36 snowblower, 44A Mower and 1A tiller for 500 bucks.

Well You 1250 Hydraulic lift fits entirely differently Than a Narrow Frame Hydraulic lift Because the 1250’s Hydrostatic trans is Ported for Hydraulic lift the 1250 actually was One tractor in the wide Frame quiet Line that could Have Manual, Electric Or Hydraulic Lift:thumbs: