65 replies to this topic

#31 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3300
  • 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted November 02, 2011 - 07:37 AM

Well I don't see why they're getting pissey about 20+ year old manual.

I read the manual figure out whats wrong then end up going to JD for the parts to fix it.

Thier not exactly cheap for things with JD part number on there.

Geez everytime I come out of there I wish I had one of those rubber donuts to sit in.

#32 Gary400 OFFLINE  

Gary400

JD,junkie

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2316
  • 225 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted November 02, 2011 - 08:35 AM

i have walked in to or local JD dealership and told them what i was working on and they printed the pages for me and i didnt buy anything . i still have the 400 manual that Alc sent me to put on this site, so i guess he really gave it to all of Us to use .i still have the files on my computer so if there is anyone that needs info on something PM me ill see if i can help .
  • akranger72 said thank you

#33 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted November 02, 2011 - 10:13 AM

There are a lot of valid points that have been made. John Deere does in fact have a copyright on their produced material and if they wish that it isn't shared then we can only comply. We are not a manual site, they are just there as an extra resource for fellow collectors if needed. We do not charge for them and we do not claim any manual to be our property. In all honesty it doesn't bother me one bit not having the JD manuals on the site anymore. In all honesty the whole manual section of the site is my least favorite because of the amount of work involved with it, but I know it is a great resource for fellow collectors which is why it is there.

For those with John Deere tractors, you can purchase the manuals directly from JD if they have them. There is nothing else that we can do about it. I am sure if you post a thread looking for specific info regarding a manual there are members that would be more then willing to help, just like the neighbor to neighbor thing.

I don't blame JD one bit. I have had pictures that I have taken used by someone to make tshirts without my consent. I have also had other stuff used without consent and it is irritating. I will say though that someone or group purposely contacted JD about the manuals here and that is fine. The only people they are hurting are other collectors and not the site. The other thing I found interesting is John Deere calling us a "commercial site". To me that means we are selling manuals like the idiots on ebay which is far from the truth.

#34 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 02, 2011 - 11:01 AM

It's always a bad egg to screw up a good thing. I don't get too upset about my pictures being used by others for informational purposes. I once saw a thread on another forum that a guy was wanting to know about Springfields. Low and behold some1 had posted a pic of mine as a "stock photo" of what one looks like. To me that is a compliment, but no one profited so to speak, so it's all good. Now if it was on a calendar without my consent, I would be calling my sister (lawyer) LOL.

P.S. sometimes it is good to have an overachiever as a sibling LOL.

#35 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3300
  • 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted November 02, 2011 - 03:37 PM

There are a lot of valid points that have been made. John Deere does in fact have a copyright on their produced material and if they wish that it isn't shared then we can only comply. We are not a manual site, they are just there as an extra resource for fellow collectors if needed. We do not charge for them and we do not claim any manual to be our property. In all honesty it doesn't bother me one bit not having the JD manuals on the site anymore. In all honesty the whole manual section of the site is my least favorite because of the amount of work involved with it, but I know it is a great resource for fellow collectors which is why it is there.

For those with John Deere tractors, you can purchase the manuals directly from JD if they have them. There is nothing else that we can do about it. I am sure if you post a thread looking for specific info regarding a manual there are members that would be more then willing to help, just like the neighbor to neighbor thing.

I don't blame JD one bit. I have had pictures that I have taken used by someone to make tshirts without my consent. I have also had other stuff used without consent and it is irritating. I will say though that someone or group purposely contacted JD about the manuals here and that is fine. The only people they are hurting are other collectors and not the site. The other thing I found interesting is John Deere calling us a "commercial site". To me that means we are selling manuals like the idiots on ebay which is far from the truth.

But theres AD's on the site. I guess that would be the commercial part

#36 Brett OFFLINE  

Brett

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7141
  • 78 Thanks
  • 287 posts

Posted November 02, 2011 - 04:06 PM

I am new guy here but must say the manual section had been very helpful for me. I thank all of you who took the time to scan and upload the info for no other reason than to help a fellow out. If anyone ever needs any info from the tm 1351 feel free to PM me and I will return the favor. JD is a big corporation so it really doesn't suprise me, DISAPPOINT ME YES. Once again thank you for taking the time to post them in the first place.

#37 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted November 02, 2011 - 04:46 PM

Hi Brett
What model is covered in TM 1351?

#38 Brett OFFLINE  

Brett

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7141
  • 78 Thanks
  • 287 posts

Posted November 02, 2011 - 04:48 PM

the tm 1351 covers the 130, 160, 165, 175, 180,and 185 Lawn Tractors.

#39 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted November 02, 2011 - 04:49 PM

So, to look on the bright side.

George, and all the GTT team/ supporters, and members have been noticed by the big boys.

We should applaud ourselves.:yelclap::yelclap:

I think new Tee shirts are in order.
How about,"GTT has Wheel Weights"

Edit

And do it, in JD green fading to MF red(or another tractor colour). And mail it to the JD board of directors.

#40 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted November 02, 2011 - 05:38 PM

I like your thinking on that Will. Still a shame that you can't share free information. A fellow that I used to work with would have said that they have brown eyes from having their heads stuck up their a**.

#41 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted November 02, 2011 - 06:20 PM

It would be interesting to know the publicity value JD receives in actual dollars from all the collectors shows and events every year!!? How would that compare to a collective bonfire of junk JD plastic hoods and weather split yellow seats ? I have several of each to donate.:puke2:

#42 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted November 02, 2011 - 06:29 PM

I like your thinking on that Will. Still a shame that you can't share free information. A fellow that I used to work with would have said that they have brown eyes from having their heads stuck up their a**.

I know, that all the ranting, won't change a thing, and I understand all the legal/corporate reasons.
And I don't think they should pick on a bunch of old restorers.

BUT

Next time I'm driving by a JD dealership, I'm gonna get the wife to hold the wheel, while I moon that JD sign.:***::***:

edit???
What happened to the *** smiley??????
  • Toolpartzman said thank you

#43 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted November 02, 2011 - 06:30 PM

Next time I'm driving by a JD dealership, I'm gonna get the wife to hold the wheel, while I moon that JD sign.:***::***:

This is going to seem very out of character for me, but please NO PICS :bigrofl:
  • bhts, IamSherwood, JDBrian and 2 others have said thanks

#44 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted November 02, 2011 - 07:15 PM

Proud to say I never got into jds but the few I have are cheap if anyone wants cheap s-it. Am proud they make other brands so I can still play. Do remember a jd dealer that had a book with after market parts if you didn't want to pay for the green paint. Dang reckon they will take the paint off the shelves that say John Deere.

#45 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,655 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted November 02, 2011 - 07:31 PM

My BIL Fred bleeds green, but he's ticked off with John Deere over this...big time ticked!