No More John Deere Manuals

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
65 replies to this topic

#16 140 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 7147
  • 3 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted November 01, 2011 - 11:43 PM

I knew that it would only be a matter of time... the last place I found manuals at, the same thing happened. JD has a track record for doing this. They are ultra protective of their products. It isn't that they want to limit your resources on their old stuff. They just want you to buy the manual from them... full cost. It's a profit thing.

#17 josh deaven OFFLINE  

josh deaven

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 535
  • 477 Thanks
  • 574 posts

Posted November 02, 2011 - 04:11 AM

I in no way do I think that this is right.But JD did not get this way from being nice.This is a business JD is in this to make money or they would not be still in business.You can get JD parts breakdowns on JD website.JD only cares about the future and not the past.I have been told this by some of my friends that are very well known in the JD circle of restoring tractors.Later Josh

#18 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted November 02, 2011 - 04:25 AM

JD is obviously not in the parts bus, considering some parts are higher that the original machine. Yesterday I brought home a very slick LX 176 mower for $75 with a blown KAW 14 hp that JD said would cost $2300 parts alone to repair. I have a good donor engine that's going in thurs. Thanks John.:wave:

#19 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted November 02, 2011 - 04:39 AM

They probably think they are protecting proprietary property. Remember when JD began painting their heavy equipment Cat yellow? It wasn't because they ran out of green.
:deadhorse:

#20 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 02, 2011 - 04:58 AM

Man,that's too bad.

#21 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted November 02, 2011 - 05:14 AM

Branding and the marketing of "a brand" has always been BIG business. John Deere was/is better at that job than anyone. From the early days of working the ground there were dozens of quality manufacturers, and the members here know well and support those brand names even if they're gone. By restoring certain tractors we, perhaps unknowingly strengthen that brand. The big JD restoration events help JD immensely.

This is precisely why, when Joe home-owner buys a lawn mower-labeled a lawn "tractor" a the box store, the green ones outsell all the other homogenized "names". The buyer actually thinks he's buying a "real JD".

The same brand marketing psychology is used by Chrysler advertising their HEMI
engine when a true HEMI hasn't been produced by anyone for more than 40 years.

For these reasons I think its futile to hope for any cooperation from JD unless perhaps their advertising/marketing people. :deadhorse:

#22 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted November 02, 2011 - 05:14 AM

The John Deere company seems to be missing the big picture. They want to protect their material but don't recognize the fact that these manuals were only being shared for information purposes and nobody was profiting from this. It sure seems like they have very poor respect for their customers.

#23 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,486 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted November 02, 2011 - 05:23 AM

If some one has bought a manual, can they not share it? I think that they could. Now if you hacked into JD and got it, that's a different story.

#24 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted November 02, 2011 - 05:40 AM

IMO the line is whether its "shared", i.e. neighbor to neighbor, or "re-published" on a website for mass direct and more particularly FREE access.

#25 IWLBCNU OFFLINE  

IWLBCNU

• Member No: 5214
  • 120 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted November 02, 2011 - 05:53 AM

Ford went thru this a few years back, and wasn't allowing alot of there names to be used in websites and stuff. It's all a greed thing.

#26 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted November 02, 2011 - 05:58 AM

The truth of the matter is, this is a business. In today's economic world, corporations and companies HAVE to protect their information. Economic espionage is a real threat. There are federal trade laws and espionage acts, PIAs (Proprietary Information Agreements), etc. John Deere copyrights all literature, as thus all companies. If Bolens, Case, IH Cub Cadet, Wheel Horse, etc. were still in business, I would suspect they would do the same. Toro even does some protection on some of the older Wheel Horse manuals. All this anti-John Deere rhetoric probably comes from those who do not understand what's really at risk in the economic world of high trade.

You can blame those people on ebay who scan their paper version manuals and copied the electronic versions and then sell them for a profit. Those are who John Deere is going after. And to do that, manual sites like this will also come under scrutiny. I wouldn't blame John Deere for protecting their copyrighted information (it is against the law to reproduce copyright material), but put the blame on those profiting from boot-legged manuals.
  • KennyP, johndeereelfman and Trav1s have said thanks

#27 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted November 02, 2011 - 06:27 AM

I agree with TMO. JD is simply protecting their copyright, whether we like it or not. And the lawyers are just puppets following SOP. They probably could have filed a lawsuit instead of simply sending the letter. What JD makes on manuals is probably chump change.Its a matter of copyright. Remember in the '90s era of the Grey Market Tractors, small a oversite eventually cost Kubota millions. They recovered the $$$ in court but lots of lawyers bought big houses and boats with their cut.

This is why IMO a petition is unlikely to work , particularly with lawyers. Might have some luck with the VP of marketing, particularly if someone can get a pic of him mowing his estate with his Charger 12 Wheel Horse.:bigrofl:

#28 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted November 02, 2011 - 07:04 AM

Its all about money guys....wouldnt want to cut into their profits......Guess we could share manuals through email......Then they would probably try to figure out a way to stop that.

#29 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted November 02, 2011 - 07:05 AM

About an hour ago, I sent an email offer to buy an older JD to restore, and add to my collection. Now I'm having second
thoughts. Maybe I'll leave it out in the field to rust away.

#30 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted November 02, 2011 - 07:06 AM

About an hour ago, I sent an email offer to buy an older JD to restore, and add to my collection. Now I'm having second
thoughts. Maybe I'll leave it out in the field to rust away.

And, where is that JD sitting?....lol

I dont need no stinkin' manual