powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted October 31, 2011 - 07:23 PM

Decided to bite the bullet, and shell out some $$$ to get the rest white pine trees taken out around the in-laws house. Lisbon October 2011 007.jpg We have done all the ones we are comfortabe doing. Not cheap, but they have to bring in a crane as there is no safe way/place to fell them. Every winter and high wind they shed large limbs into the yard and several have landed on the roof of the house, garage and wood shed. We would like to put up a pole barn and are afraid that will get hit too. They will take them down, chip the brush, and haul the logs away, sadly most will go to pulp as the local saw mills love pine but do NOT take logs from around houses, afraid there is too much hardware in them, too bad as that helps offset the cost. There are a few hardwood mixed in, those they will drop and leave me the logs to be used for next year's firewood. We are at our home during the week but a couple friends will be getting some pics so will keep the thread updated. By next weekend "let the sun shine in" we hope.

Attached Thumbnails

• Lisbon October 2011 012.jpg

#2 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted October 31, 2011 - 07:58 PM

Bring in a crane? Wow, they must be in hairy spots. Most trimming svcs here rope the limb off and use bucket trucks or guys who can climb and start cutting at the top.

#3 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted October 31, 2011 - 09:38 PM

Some are close and lean over the house, some are within a couple feet of the garage and lean over that, and some are too close to the utility wires, If Pop had dealt with it 20 years ago when many were a bit smaller it wouldn't have been quite such a big deal, but he liked the trees, now we have to do something or risk serious damage and we need more sun and air flow, it is way too damp around the house.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 03, 2011 - 03:56 PM

I have White Pines around my house as well. They are mostly on the north side of the property and 2 of them are within about 30 ft of the house and garage. I had a certified forester come and look them over. He said he didn't see any problem with them but man do they make me nervous when there is a north wind. They don't usually uproot but will sometimes top off. That is what's scary, a thousand pound piece of pine falling from 40ft. in the air onto the house. I may still have the biggest one taken down, but I hate to do it as they are a big feature of our property.

#5 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted November 04, 2011 - 09:11 AM

They are making progress, although right now it looks like a log yard...... a friend took these for us wed and thurs.

Attached Thumbnails

• P&M Tree Photos, Nov.2011 012.jpg
  • P&M Tree Photos, Nov.2011 001.jpg

#6 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted November 04, 2011 - 11:54 AM

Oh craps, there are some whopper trees in there! From the 1st pics, I didn't suspect the size of some of them. You did right by not attempting yourselves.

#7 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted November 04, 2011 - 12:35 PM

Even the guy who is doing this, commented that for the butt size of some of the pine he can't believe how tall they are.

#8 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 04, 2011 - 12:39 PM

Oh craps, there are some whopper trees in there! From the 1st pics, I didn't suspect the size of some of them. You did right by not attempting yourselves.

I agree! Better to have someone with the know how and insurance tackle that. My Pop use to pick up extra cash trimming tree's.( He Had free labor with 3 sons to do the grunt work).
The $400 job, that resulted in a limb crashing down on the side window of his 4 yr old 56 Pontiac Station Wagon Pounding the top to level with the bottom of the window and costing $600 to repair. Kind of took the wind out of that plan?

It was educational, watching Marv Ingram repair that car though. I did not know at the time that lead filling sheet metal was a dying art.

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 04, 2011 - 03:44 PM

Even the guy who is doing this, commented that for the butt size of some of the pine he can't believe how tall they are.

I agree. The ones we have are 18" to 2ft or more at the butt and are only 40 -60ft in height. They do tend to have deep root systems and are very stable, at least in the soil around here.