• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Deere Green OFFLINE  

Deere Green

• Member No: 7192
  • 24 Thanks
  • 126 posts

Posted October 31, 2011 - 09:35 AM

Hello to all...newbie here to the forum but not new to the addiction I mean Hobby of rebuilding older units.

Last Year I rebuilt a 72' Dual Stage 726 pictured below and this year we acquired a 1980 John Deere 111. Guy we got it from said that the wiring was bad.......
101222_142708.jpg
It was really bad, so over the last couple of nights I have rewired the thing. One issue, I have never seen the type of solenoid that is in this thing. I am used to the two main terminals with one male spade, this one has two spades . I know I need to take the wire from the start terminal on the key switch to the solenoid but which one do I hook it up to and what side and what goes to the other spade?
IMAG0565.jpg

Edited by Deere Green, October 31, 2011 - 10:15 AM.

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 31, 2011 - 10:07 AM

Welcome to GTTalk. Without seeing it I'm not sure about the solenoid. Usually there are 2 large terminals to accept the high current connections for the starter. Then there is a single smaller one for the solenoid power with the return to the battery - terminal made through the chassis of the tractor. What I would do is to get an ohm meter and try to determine if the 2 spade terminals are for the solenoid coil. It should measure a few ohms resistance across the coil. Check both terminals to see if one of them connects to the metal mount of the solenoid. That would be the - terminal. I would then test it momentarily on a battery charger to see if it energizes. Let us know how you make out with it. A picture would help.
P.S. Any starter interlock switches are usually wired in series between the switch and the solenoid.

#3 Deere Green OFFLINE  

Deere Green

• 24 Thanks
  • 126 posts

Posted October 31, 2011 - 10:25 AM

This is what it looks like.
R10677-2T.jpg
I have the battery to going to one of the lagre terminals then the other large terminal to the startor. I have the starter terminal from the key switch to one of the spades and I guess I need to know what to do with the other spade?

The power to the key switch is tied to the wire from the battery to the soleniod with a 30amp fuse. Do I need to ground one of the spades to the frame??? Is that what you are saying?
Posted Image

#4 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted October 31, 2011 - 11:11 AM

Welcome! Saw the blower on CL this morning. Good luck on the 111... sorry I am not much help on those.

#5 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted October 31, 2011 - 11:36 AM

Here's a link to a wiring diagram that should help: jd111wiring_2
  • Deere Green said thank you

#6 Deere Green OFFLINE  

Deere Green

• 24 Thanks
  • 126 posts

Posted October 31, 2011 - 12:04 PM

Was wondering if there was anyone who has the Tech Manual 1206 they would be willing to scan. Would also like the Owners Manual so I have full paperwork on this piece of equipment. I looked through the manual section and found the parts manual but didn't see anything for the B&S 252707 Engine Tech Manual...would anyone have that?

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 31, 2011 - 01:26 PM

This is what it looks like.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]24007[/ATTACH]
I have the battery to going to one of the lagre terminals then the other large terminal to the startor. I have the starter terminal from the key switch to one of the spades and I guess I need to know what to do with the other spade?

The power to the key switch is tied to the wire from the battery to the soleniod with a 30amp fuse. Do I need to ground one of the spades to the frame??? Is that what you are saying?
Posted Image

Yes, one side needs to go back to the battery - terminal. If you have a good frame ground then that will do it. Just make sure that one of those terminals is not already connected to the mounting plate of the solenoid. If one of them is then you don't need to ground it with a wire. I just want to be sure you don't cause a short and blow a fuse.
  • Deere Green said thank you

#8 Deere Green OFFLINE  

Deere Green

• 24 Thanks
  • 126 posts

Posted October 31, 2011 - 02:07 PM

Yes, one side needs to go back to the battery - terminal. If you have a good frame ground then that will do it. Just make sure that one of those terminals is not already connected to the mounting plate of the solenoid. If one of them is then you don't need to ground it with a wire. I just want to be sure you don't cause a short and blow a fuse.

Ran home over lunch checked out the items you guys had mentioned...drilled a hole to ground the solenoid...grounded it...checked the wiring to the diagram from TMO...turned the key and the motor turned over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Didn't try to start it because I have not had a chance to check oil, rings, plug and carb yet...but so exciting that this thing is wired up and ready. Also took a chance and while the key was in the accessory mode I fliped the PTO switch to see if I could hear the mag kick in for the PTO and it works too!!! Now to check everything out so I can tear it down and get to rebuilding.

#9 Deere Green OFFLINE  

Deere Green

• 24 Thanks
  • 126 posts

Posted November 07, 2011 - 03:59 PM

Anyone have the B&S Manual for the 252707 Series engine?

#10 Deere Green OFFLINE  

Deere Green

• 24 Thanks
  • 126 posts

Posted November 23, 2011 - 11:22 AM

Going to part this one out. anyone need any parts

#11 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted November 23, 2011 - 12:27 PM

Even though I hate to see any tractor parted out, I understand it's a necessary evil - especially if fixing it will cost more than what it's worth. I do know hoods are harder to come by these days, and the transmissions are getting harder to find, so those should be in somewhat of a demand.