Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Who would have thought a Oct. snowstorm would cause so much damage !

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted October 30, 2011 - 05:47 AM

The east coast really got hammered yesterday , there are trees and powerlines down all over . Lots of people without power The roads should be cleared of snow but with people going to the malls will make clearing trees and wires a little harder .

#2 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted October 30, 2011 - 05:53 AM

Yeah, I'm just watching it on the news. What an early season mess.
Too many leaves on the trees still, so the trees are snapping from the weight.

#3 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted October 30, 2011 - 05:59 AM

Some of our members are probably without power, besides George. Hope they got his back on.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 30, 2011 - 06:00 AM

We are narrowly avoiding it here on the coast of Nova Scotia. I heard some freezing rain or hail beating against the north side of the house at about 5am but it has turned back to rain. The temp. is just above freezing. I've seen Noreasters like this in Nov. before but never this early. A few years back one delivered about a foot of heavy snow on Nov. 7 and our power was out for 5 days. These storms are dangerous!

#5 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted October 30, 2011 - 06:17 AM

We are narrowly avoiding it here on the coast of Nova Scotia. I heard some freezing rain or hail beating against the north side of the house at about 5am but it has turned back to rain. The temp. is just above freezing. I've seen Noreasters like this in Nov. before but never this early. A few years back one delivered about a foot of heavy snow on Nov. 7 and our power was out for 5 days. These storms are dangerous!

Your right, when ever we get an easterly wind with an approaching snow storm we know we are in for a doozy. Best of luck to any and all of you affected. Hope it will be just some more seat time doing cleanup with no property or personal damages and not too long without electricity, thats OK if you are camping but not when you are home.

#6 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted October 30, 2011 - 06:25 AM

The loss of power for extended times hurts the pocket book. When the freezer thaws out, you lose a lot of food.

#7 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted October 30, 2011 - 06:42 AM

I bought a 8500W generator several years ago. As luck would have it, we haven't lost power since. I use it once in awhile to power some tools or a hedge trimmer, just to give it something to do. My brother has one of those standby systems that he really likes. For him, it was a worthwhile investment.

#8 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,405 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted October 30, 2011 - 06:47 AM

Look what I get to do today.... I have never seen this much snow this early....
Posted Image
  • KennyP said thank you

#9 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted October 30, 2011 - 07:30 AM

Wow, Thats alot of snow

#10 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted October 30, 2011 - 07:50 AM

I hope all of you guys who got this early snow are safe and warm. I know any excuse for tractor seat time is good but this has to be pushing the limits! Snow in October could mean 7 months of playing with the white stuff!
I guess I had better get the snowblower tractor out and serviced today and not put it off any longer!

#11 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,405 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted October 30, 2011 - 11:54 AM

All I can say is son of a ...ch! This stuff SUCKED! WET HEAVY AND A TON OF IT! How about 20" of the stuff. if this is what the winter is going to be like I am going south!
single stage snow towers totally don't work either! Broke 2 belts, and 1 ujoint that can't be repaired because it is one of those small crappy ones that Bolens used. good grief...

#12 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,479 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted October 30, 2011 - 01:00 PM

I'm really looking forward to the end of 2011. Between all the tornados, rain, flooding, earthquakes, and now a early season snow fall. I think I can safely say for all of us, the East Coast has had enough! Thursday morning snow predictions were a dusting to an inch. I get to work Friday morning, to find out they are now predicting 6-8 inches. All said and done, we have tree limbs and wires down every where, due to a total of 5" of the wet stuff. How much more can we really take? With all of the rain we have had throughout the Spring, Summer and Fall, I think we are going to have a real hard Winter, with more snow falling than we will know what to do with. Nice to have tractor seat time, but where will we go with it all?
Hope everyone is doing alright, and if without electric, I hope you'll get it back before too much damage is done. Don't forget to call upon your fellow tractor brothers for help, if you have any local!

Take Care,
Troy

#13 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted October 30, 2011 - 08:48 PM

Our neighborhood looked like a tornado went through. Trees, limbs, and power lines down everywhere. I've never seen it this bad, even when we have big ice storms.
It was freaky laying in bed last night and hearing the constant cracks and pops as another limb left go. I fared pretty good really, I got most of my limbs cut down and cleared out today. Our next door neighbor will take weeks. He lost at least five trees. The electric feed to my house runs through a dogwood tree that hasn't started to loose it's leaves yet. The tree was pulling the tension line hard enough to pull the fascia board it was mounted to, away from the siding.

#14 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 31, 2011 - 04:46 AM

My place doesn't look too bad this morning. No snow,just a lot of water everywhere,and a lot of branches down.We did loose our power for almost 3 and a half hours though.