15 replies to this topic

#1 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted October 28, 2011 - 10:42 PM

Well everyone, I picked up a 1963 cub 100 original today. It was recently restored but was used after the fact to mow grass. The tractor looks pretty good, it runs well, but the p.o. had a issue with the deck. the blades contacted eachother, destroyed the blades, and destroyed 1 spindle shaft, key way and pulley. Anyone know where I could get theses parts?? Also the clutch/brake pedal felt wierd. When I drove it it seemed like the brake pedal wasn't disengaging fully/properly and in 3rd gear the tractor would take awhile to get going. Eventually the rod that went from the clutch/brake pedal to a throwout bearing looking part fell right out. Also the throwout bearing looking part has a grease fitting which is totally dry. Could the rod not being in properly and the fact that the trowout bearing is totally dry cause these drivability issues??? Lastly the steering at times gets stiff and almost jams. Is there a way to adjust the steering column?? Any advice or help would be great. Thanks everyone!!

Attached Thumbnails

• international cub 100.jpg

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,311 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted October 29, 2011 - 01:26 AM

Nice looking cub. Hope you get the bugs worked out.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 29, 2011 - 04:24 AM

The tractor looks great. Congratulations! I'm not a Cub guy but Im sure someone will be along to give you specific advice.

#4 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 29, 2011 - 04:36 AM

That looks nice,there are a couple of things that aren't "Original" on it though. One being the seat,another is the black on the engine and seat,but over all it looks great.

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted October 29, 2011 - 07:26 AM

Nice looking Tractor

Here is the service manual and parts list , Hope it helps :

70-100 Service Manual Chassis - Manuals - Garden Tractor Talk - Forums

70-100 Parts Manual - Manuals - Garden Tractor Talk - Forums

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,474 Thanks
  • 39,712 posts

Posted October 29, 2011 - 07:58 AM

Nice looking tractor, but I would be checking everything. Sounds like someone just made it look good and did no mechanical work. I'm not familiar with the older models, just the 108 I have. Good luck with it.
Look in the manual for a grease zerk on the steering box, check the rear end for lube. The manuals should give you a good starting point. I'm sure others more familiar with these can help with some of the issues.

#7 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted October 29, 2011 - 08:08 AM

Thanks for the info Brian. I've been doing some research and Im thinking its not a 100. Well regardless I like it and want to keep it in my collection. I knew the seat wasn't original as its kinda big and contacts the fenders slightly. The p.o. stated that he rebuilt the original motor, but maybe he just painted it wrong. Also Brian, I want to get info on the hamburg fair. I wanna add a few bolens to your line up there, and bring the cub. Let me know, thanks!!

#8 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted October 29, 2011 - 01:21 PM

That is a Cub Cadet Original or CC O made from 1960-63.
The deck on these have a Timing belt with teeth.If improperly timed the blades will hit each other and cause some serious problems.

If the throw-out bearing is tight you will have a heck of a time getting it in and out of any gear.

I would take the steering column out of it and take it apart and scoop the old grease and dirt muck out of it and clean up the internal parts.If you can get the steering wheel off there are only 2 bolts that hold the steering box in place.

Here's the Original Manuals.
Service Manual
Cub Cadet Original Service Manual - Chassis - Manuals - Garden Tractor Talk - Forums

Parts Manual
Original Parts Manual - Manuals - Garden Tractor Talk - Forums

Operators Manual
I H Cub Cadet Operators Manual IH 1014250-R5 - Manuals - Garden Tractor Talk - Forums

Owners Manual
Original Owner's Manual - Manuals - Garden Tractor Talk - Forums

Side note.These little Cubs are easy to work on and will do alot of hard work.But deck parts are getting a bit hard to find in usable condition.
If you get a hold of Joe's Outdoor Power I'm sure he can dig up most of the parts you may need.He's parting out a few Originals.
items in Joe's Outdoor Power store on eBay!

You could also get a hold of Messick's for New and used parts.
http://www.messicks....cadetparts.aspx

#9 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted October 29, 2011 - 01:35 PM

Thanks Ericfrompa for the info. I gotta wait til monday to print up all the manuals. From what ive explained, What might you guys think a good price is for a cub original? Im just wondering if I over paid or made a decent buy.

#10 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted October 29, 2011 - 01:52 PM

Seen them go for $100 up to $750.Yours in it's current state I would of paid around $250-$350 and not felt bad about it.

Deck parts for those can get quite expensive.

#11 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted October 29, 2011 - 03:23 PM

well i guess i did ok then. The more i think about the clutch, and the way it was acting, I think its a simple fix. I went out to the barn today and it fired right up. My new scut doesn't even fire that quick. Im in no rush to get the deck back together so I will wait to come across the parts at the right price.

#12 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted October 29, 2011 - 04:56 PM

Thanks for the info Brian. I've been doing some research and Im thinking its not a 100. Well regardless I like it and want to keep it in my collection. I knew the seat wasn't original as its kinda big and contacts the fenders slightly. The p.o. stated that he rebuilt the original motor, but maybe he just painted it wrong. Also Brian, I want to get info on the hamburg fair. I wanna add a few bolens to your line up there, and bring the cub. Let me know, thanks!!

I'll get you the info....

#13 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted October 29, 2011 - 09:55 PM

Pretty nice looking Original you got there. That set of fenders look to be in excellent shape! They alone are worth 250-300 in the condition they are. The only other thing I see that isn't correct is the hood decal. It is not the proper script that was used on the Originals, but that will only matter to the "correct police".

Can you post a different shot of the lift handle area? Something just doesn't look right there from the pictures angle. Alomst looks like there's an extra piece of steel sticking up in there between the dash and the transmission.

#14 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted October 29, 2011 - 10:12 PM

Good looking GT,

#15 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted October 30, 2011 - 10:21 AM

Yea, the fenders are in really nice shape. Actually all the metal looks clean. I've seen tractors before that people sandblast during restores, then you get pitting in the metal, and they just paint over the pits. This cub is all smooth and clean. There is a few scratchs and knicks, but oh well, its clean enough for me. Today im going to try to repair the clutch issue