daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted December 15, 2011 - 04:59 PM

Just a short update. I also purchased a netbook recently. Boy is it easy to travel with. Canawler, your comments were right on. Of course GTT is what I'm usually looking over on either one.

#18 kb0nly OFFLINE  

kb0nly

• Contributor
  • Member No: 7469
  • 18 Thanks
  • 63 posts

Posted December 15, 2011 - 06:25 PM

I have all of the above in the house here. I use a laptop and desktop, other members of the family share a netbook and another desktop, they all have their strong points.

One thing i am seeing a lot more of with customers is a laptop hooked up to a larger monitor, what we call a desktop replacement. What i have been telling people is if they want the portability then get a USB Hub, a laptop cooling pad, and a second power adapter. If your laptop has a docking port option, or you can afford to order one with such that makes it even better, come home and dock it, and you have a small desktop.

Otherwise you have a hub that you plug in all your peripherals with one cable, a power adapter dedicated to the desk, and a monitor cable, thats only three connections to disconnect and go. I suggest the laptop cooler pad when using it as a desktop replacement to help keep it cooler.

I went with a network printer on my home network, so all the computers can use it without a physical connection.

The netbooks are awesome. Small, light, good battery life, can't beat them if you just need email and browsing along with some basic functions, but you have to deal with the smaller screen sizes which is difficult for some of the older crowd, no offense intended blind here too!

#19 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,588 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted December 15, 2011 - 07:07 PM

but you have to deal with the smaller screen sizes which is difficult for some of the older crowd, no offense intended blind here too!

I hear ya! First I had like a 15" monitor, and then went to my current 22" monitor. Now I have to use readers with the 22". I can only squeeze like maybe a 25" monitor into my computer desk, so I guess it's a life of reading glasses for me!

#20 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted December 15, 2011 - 08:37 PM

I hear ya! First I had like a 15" monitor, and then went to my current 22" monitor. Now I have to use readers with the 22". I can only squeeze like maybe a 25" monitor into my computer desk, so I guess it's a life of reading glasses for me!

I'm right there with ya, I have a pair of prescription glasses just for working on the computer.

#21 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted December 23, 2011 - 09:08 PM

you made a great choice! I'd go to best buy, get the cheapest laptop they have that meets your requirements and processing power 2GB of ram or maybe 4. Get the accidental replacement program warranty, it'll cost ya $100 or so...then for 3 years if the computer goes kaput you get a new one...or 2 years and 6 months later after you've backed up the hard drive, the computer accidentally gets kicked in the pool...and viola...NEW LAPTOP so 6 years of newer computers for 1/2 price...LOL

Big monitors are sweet, so are decent keyboards and a nice laser mouse after all this is how we humans interact with the machine... What do I know...LOL