daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted October 27, 2011 - 09:23 PM

I need a new computer. I like a large screen, but would like to take my computer travelling. I am currently using a very old, nine years or so, laptop. It travels just fine.

Can I add a large monitor to a laptop or is that foolish?

I have always had a PC until the one I had last year fried itself. I am interested in various opinions, so please give them to me.

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted October 27, 2011 - 09:37 PM

If you are just surfing and not really computing, the tablets are great. (Borrow one from a friend for an hour or so and test drive it)
If you are doing spreadsheets, word processing, etc. And want portability, the laptop is your only real choice.

#3 Gibby OFFLINE  

Gibby

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4886
  • 96 Thanks
  • 360 posts

Posted October 27, 2011 - 09:54 PM

I've used other peoples laptops to try them out. I've come to the conclusion, if my only option was a laptop, I'd quit computers, period.

#4 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,700 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted October 27, 2011 - 10:58 PM

Believe it or not I get questions like this quite a lot. To answer your question is yes most laptops have a monitor plug. I think the more important question you need to ask your self is how important is that Portability? Do you need it for work?

What I tell my clients is this if Portability is very high on there list then a laptop is the way to go but if repairablity or expandibility is more important then the desktop it the better option.

If a power supply, graphics card goes out they can be replaced in a desktop relatively easy, in a laptop you have to take it to a shop and then you have a 50/50 shot at getting it fixed. Also generally speaking it is much easier to expand the desktop resources then it is a laptops.

For me the Apple products are not an option because if anything goes wrong you pretty much have to go back to Apple to get it fix. That ties you to Apple which I do not care for I like options, guess that's why I use Linux (although OS X is a Linux os)

With the new small foot print mice from Logitech & being able to connect a monitor to the laptop it can be pretty much like a desktop at home.

Hope this helps.

#5 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted October 27, 2011 - 11:47 PM

I purchased a nice Dell system for our office and we have been using it for several years. You want printers, scanners, fax, and copiers than a desk top should be your choice. Now my wife on the other hand wanted a laptop so she could be on the go. So she picked up a spendy Toshiba Satellite with all the bells and whistles. This is where it gets interesting. After a couple of months she decides she likes the desktop better. Sooooo- here I set in the recliner typing oh the Toshiba while she is in the office using the desktop. The key pads take some time getting used to but now I don't even think about it and can actually type faster on this. I have a small elevated stand next to the recliner for it to set on when not in use and have actually come to like this arrangement. If I'm working on something in the shop and need to reference something I can take it out there and keep working.
One thing to think about. If you get a laptop get your self a small piece of peg board to set it on. Heat kills electronic equipment and when a laptop is setting in your lap it is not cooling the way it should. My laptop is always setting on this piece and runs much cooler than when it used to set on my lap.
I honestly think if this one ever crashes I would get another. Spend a few extra bucks and get one with the larger monitor. You'll be glad you did.

#6 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted October 28, 2011 - 05:36 AM

At home I have a HP laptop , not sure the size but 15" seem to stick in my head. I enjoy that because if the family is watching TV I can sit with them using my laptop and also be here too , Al

#7 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted October 28, 2011 - 06:18 AM

I would suggest a laptop. The price difference isn't as huge as it used to be, and you can buy a monitor to connect to it if you want a larger screen. My wife and I get along nicely using only laptops.

#8 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 28, 2011 - 07:11 AM

I know when I get a new one,it's going to be a desk top,I don't need a lap top. And besides,a desk top is as cheap,or cheaper in price.That way I can get a large screen,which is just what I need for my "antique eyes".:D

#9 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted October 28, 2011 - 09:04 AM

Here's a thought. Desktop computers tend to be cheaper than a laptop with similar specs.
Buy the desktop for home then take the money you saved a buy a netbook, not a laptop. For general computer use and surfing, the netbooks work great, plus they travel much better than a laptop due to the smaller size.
  • daytime dave and middleageddeere have said thanks

#10 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted October 28, 2011 - 06:28 PM

I just went through all the computer replacement hub-bub myself and wound up with a desktop unit. I was able to get one of "last year's" models at a great savings. I am OK with it because It's still 5 years bigger, better, faster, and more than the one I had previously, and I paid about half what they're asking for the newest models! My wife has a laptop that is comparable to the desktop that I just bought and we take turns with them because there are some programs on the desktop that aren't on the laptop. I looked at the laptops when I was searching, but ended up with the desktop for all the reasons that HDWildBill mentioned above! That's my $.02, hope it helps.

#11 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted October 28, 2011 - 08:26 PM

Just got back in from plowing and caught this thread.
You like big monitors so you can have a desktop with a big monitor.
You can do the same thing with a laptop and have a second (Dual) monitor, Big Monitor as main display and laptop monitor as a second display.
These can be set up to "mirror" or "extend". An "extended" display will allow you to do different things on either monitor.
It is kind of like using 2 puters at the same time with 1 mouse and keyboard.
I use dual monitors on my desktop and it gives you so much more screen space. Love It.
  • mjodrey and daytime dave have said thanks

#12 RandyLittrell OFFLINE  

RandyLittrell

• Member No: 6730
  • 2 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted October 30, 2011 - 05:29 PM

In the last few years I have puchased a desktop, 2 laptops and a netbook.

The desktop is fine, but I can do anything with my Toshiba laptop that I can do with the desktop. I have a wireless printer so we can print from any computer with have any where in the house or even out in the backyard.

The netbook is OK to take with you places since it is small but it just lacks the screen size to fully see some pages and its slower.

If I could only have one, I would take the laptop with a wireless printer. The printer I have will will fax, copy and print pictures.

Randy

#13 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted November 06, 2011 - 09:23 PM

I want to thank everyone for their input. I just am setting up my new HP laptop. I will get a large monitor to leave at camp. This is one fast computer.

#14 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted November 06, 2011 - 10:30 PM

Congratulations on your new computer. When you get used to working from the recliner it's hard to work anywhere else.

#15 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,700 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted November 07, 2011 - 09:37 AM

Congratulations on your new toy. :bounce: