• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,415 Thanks
  • 4,880 posts

Posted October 08, 2013 - 11:23 AM

Bob, I'm not from PA but a very good friend is. I remember him telling me MANY years ago about the rust inspection thing. Not sure if it's true, but he said he comes from someone getting seriously hurt or died from a rusted out floor in a car or truck. Just what I heard.

I do believe in inspections, but pa sure goes a bit overboard with theirs. And you have to pay for it.

NJ has them which just changed big time a few years ago. (Budget cuts) but they have always been free. Unless you wanted to pay a private shop rather then wait in the lines at inspection stations.

Who's Bob? :smilewink:

I can understand the rusted floor board thing, but a small rust hole in the quarter panel or a door? I agree that's too far.

I will say when they did emissions here around Cincy, it did take off the road some of those old oil burners you couldn't see as they drove past.

#32 twostep OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,849 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted October 08, 2013 - 11:24 AM

Well put PA on the growing list of states that I won't live in then.

Write it down... Soon enough they will outlaw repairs by "non-licensed" mechanic.

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#33 MH81 OFFLINE  

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,668 Thanks
  • 28,318 posts

Posted October 08, 2013 - 12:42 PM

The PA inspections make it so I won't buy vehicles from out of state. If it passed a real PA inspection (not a lick-n-stick), it usually is a pretty safe vehicle. This has only been a bad decision once in 27 years and it was because i listened to others instead of my inner voice.

As for pass/fail, If the hole is smaller than a quarter, it's usually no problem. Unless sharp edges could cut someone who brushes against your vehicle.
No holes allowed that exhaust could enter the cab thru, tie rods, bushings brakes, etc all must be safe.
It also keeps the license plate fraud down some (fake stickers) and catches a few people that don't have at least the min insurance.

I wasn't around for the every six months inspections, but the only positive thing I ever heard about it was there wasn't enough time between inspections for a bunch of stuff to go bad... So instead of a big bill annually, it's a bunch of little bills.

I got the notice an hour ago it passed. Only thing left for him was the tires and replacing a couple of bad lug nuts.
  • farmerall said thank you

#34 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,139 Thanks
  • 4,554 posts

Posted October 08, 2013 - 01:18 PM

The family I talked to was across the Hudson in Bethlehem and it was a loooong time ago..  (late 70's) when I heard it..  I

#35 farmerall OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,127 Thanks
  • 1,430 posts

Posted October 08, 2013 - 08:00 PM

If it passed a real PA inspection (not a lick-n-stick), it usually is a pretty safe vehicle.

I agree and that is the one reason why I think the safety inspections are a good thing. I don't think that emissions should be required though considering some counties have the emission test while in other counties it is not required.

• MH81 and Alc have said thanks