34 replies to this topic

#16 farmerall OFFLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 07:50 PM

It definitely pays to be able to work on your vehicles. I had a similar experience back in the spring when I my car needed all of the brake lines replaced. One shop gave me a rough estimate of $600. I was able to replace them all for about 200 including buying a specialty tool I needed.

#17 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 07:50 PM

Auto Zone stuff I think the worst. Especially their economy brand.

But you get a "lifetime" replacement, if you don't mind doing it every few years  :bigrofl:

#18 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,218 Thanks
  • 28,589 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 08:43 PM

Now you just need to stop buying parts at autozone and the other overpriced parts places. Then you'll really be happy. I buy just about all my auto parts online. And save $$. I'm not taking about junk no name parts, name brand stuff. Auto Zone stuff I think the worst. Especially their economy brand.

The Economy brand, usually isn't any savings.

I priced around and got pretty decent deals at Advanced Auto this time. The exhaust system shipped would've been within a few $ of what I paid (Damn resonators) and my wife had clipped some store only coupons too.
The brakes, I ordered via their website and got 30% off the total when I used the "chat" to find the cylinders. (The guy offered)

I do order some things online, but there is something to be said about a brick and mortar and the ability to take it back when it dont fit, wrong one, ordered something I didnt need, etc...

#19 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,026 Thanks
  • 1,122 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 08:54 PM

If you moved to South Dakota, there are no vehicle inspections! I believe the last year they had one was 1978 or 79. Your math may work to your advantage though!

Later---DAC
  • MH81 and Alc have said thanks

#20 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 08:57 PM

I'm so glad I don't live in state that requires a overly picky revenue inspection.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

• MH81 said thank you

#21 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,301 Thanks
  • 4,656 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 09:15 PM

Now you just need to stop buying parts at autozone and the other overpriced parts places. Then you'll really be happy.

I buy just about all my auto parts online. And save $$. I'm not taking about junk no name parts, name brand stuff.

Auto Zone stuff I think the worst. Especially their economy brand.

I hear ya Ken..  Lots of places to order O/L..  One of my favorites is Rockauto.com..  Usually have the part in my hand in 3 days and the price is great..

• MH81 said thank you

#22 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,226 Thanks
  • 5,069 posts

Posted October 08, 2013 - 07:09 AM

I lived in PA for a few years, what I did was find a shop that basically kicked your tires, and stuck a sticker on the window.  Cost me 40 bucks each.   

Had them do my vehicles, and all the company vehicles.

• MH81 said thank you

#23 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,444 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted October 08, 2013 - 07:41 AM

I don't remember what year it changed to once a year inspections in Pa but  it used to be twice a year for inspections !!!  What a pita

#24 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted October 08, 2013 - 08:28 AM

The tires are just at the wear bars and we were expecting to need them, so we told the garage not to even figure them in. We go elsewhere for tires.

I got a kick out of this line.  Every inspection garage I've ever been to would laugh in your face if you told them to just not worry about the tires.  What's on the vehicle at the time of inspection determines what passes or fails around here.  They sure wouldn't trust that you're going to buy tires at a later date.

Everyone's been going to strictly pass/fail setups unless you what them to do the repair work.  It used to be that they would tell you what it needed, you took it home and fixed it, then took it back to show them the work was done.  Now that brings a "fail" and full inspection fee, then another full inspection fee when you bring it back fixed.

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#25 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted October 08, 2013 - 08:37 AM

I've been under my wife's van for a couple of evenings, trying to get it to pass inspection.

What do you mean by "pass inspection"?

#26 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted October 08, 2013 - 08:47 AM

I hear ya Ken.. Lots of places to order O/L.. One of my favorites is Rockauto.com.. Usually have the part in my hand in 3 days and the price is great..

I've bought stuff there. Saved an average of 30-50 %.

I was a local shopper till 2 years ago when I needed to replace the front hub assemblies on my one ton van. One was toast so I changed them both.

Any way, auto zone was 185 plus each. I googled the Timken part # and found them on eBay for 110. Called the seller to make sure it was apples for apples and they suggested I buy direct from their site to save even more.

Had them at my door the next day for a bit less then 200 for the pair. No tax and very reasonable shipping.
Stockwiseauto.com
I've ordered many things from them since then.

Alan I understand some things like exhaust pipes can't be gotten that cheap because of shipping. But most things can.
It is very important to check and double check part #s so that the correct part shows up. Any savings would be lost shipping stuff back and forth trying to get it rite, and the frustration level would be very high as well.

Sorry to hijack your thread, I'm just trying to help anyone who wants to save $$ on parts do so. : )

O yes, just changed the starter on the van a few weeks ago. Bought a brand name "Delco" on eBay with no exchange required and saved 60 bucks from the auto zone "gold" model.

• MH81 and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#27 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 8,301 Thanks
  • 4,656 posts

Posted October 08, 2013 - 09:19 AM

I don't remember what year it changed to once a year inspections in Pa but  it used to be twice a year for inspections !!!  What a pita

And you would fail if you had ANY rust holes on your car!  It was the fiberglass empire down there!

• Alc said thank you

#28 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,479 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted October 08, 2013 - 09:27 AM

Wow, and I hated the emissions testing when we had it a few years back, I would never pass these types. My Tahoe has custom exhaust with no mufflers...on purpose, I would have to have some quick change mufflers I could swap out for inspections. :smilewink:

.....and body work? Seriously? What does a rust hole matter for safety?

How long does it take for an inspection if they go that deep?

#29 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 8,301 Thanks
  • 4,656 posts

Posted October 08, 2013 - 09:48 AM

I find that site isn't very user friendly as far as finding what the heck you are looking for though..  I'll wander around some though Ken..

As far as repairing your own stuff goes..  My wife was in a hurry to get her van up to snuff as she was heading off to Tenn to see the grandkids in a day or two this spring..  (I was working shifts @ the time and she didn't want to bother me)  SO she took her van to the shop because it had starting issues..  The shop diagnosed the thing and determined that it needed a new starter..  Then they replaced it so it was deemed 'fixed' and ready to go..  The very next day the van did the same exact thing!!  She asked me to take a look-see so I glanced around and once I saw the battery I knew exactly what the problem was..  The positive terminal was white/green with corrosion..  There just wasn't enough juice getting into the starter to crank things!  So I got out the contact cleaner and cleaned things up..  Then I washed off the chemicals well and reattached the battery and put on some battery terminal sealer/protectant and things were golden..  (and I didn't charge her $100!)  Live & learn!  Sometimes I'm good to have around I guess...

• Alc said thank you

#30 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted October 08, 2013 - 10:10 AM

Wow, and I hated the emissions testing when we had it a few years back, I would never pass these types. My Tahoe has custom exhaust with no mufflers...on purpose, I would have to have some quick change mufflers I could swap out for inspections. :smilewink:
.....and body work? Seriously? What does a rust hole matter for safety?

How long does it take for an inspection if they go that deep?

Bob, I'm not from PA but a very good friend is. I remember him telling me MANY years ago about the rust inspection thing. Not sure if it's true, but he said he comes from someone getting seriously hurt or died from a rusted out floor in a car or truck. Just what I heard.

I do believe in inspections, but pa sure goes a bit overboard with theirs. And you have to pay for it.

NJ has them which just changed big time a few years ago. (Budget cuts) but they have always been free. Unless you wanted to pay a private shop rather then wait in the lines at inspection stations.
  • Alc said thank you