John Deere 826 Auger Shaft Repair

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 140 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 7147
  • 3 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted October 26, 2011 - 11:20 PM

A few years ago my JD 826 picked up a good size rock and pinned it between the auger housing and auger itself. The horizontal cross shaft that the auger is driven by via sheer pins (that the PO had replaced with bolts...) was bent in the process. Has any one ever straightened an auger shaft before? If so how? Also, the Tecumseh 8hp that was on the machine has been swapped out in favor of a 6.5 HP Honda clone. I chose to do this based on the fact that JD made a 5, 7, and 8hp 26 inch model, and a 7, 8, and 10hp 32 inch model snowblower of the same vintage. So 6.5 horse can't be too under gunned for my 26 inch, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with a similar (Ariens made JD blowers like mine) blowers of similar power? I changed the engine out after the shaft got bent during my attempt at fixing the blower up. Thanks.

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted October 27, 2011 - 06:57 AM

Welcome, 140! I can't help you with the auger shaft. I haven't even see a real live snow blower down here and know nothing about them, Maybe a pic of the shaft would help. Does it run from side to side? Maybe a new one could be made.

#3 140 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 7147
  • 3 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted October 27, 2011 - 06:04 PM

Yeah, I was thinking about trying to post a picture... and then I remembered how much fun it was to figure out how to post them over at WFM. So, I decided to go the non graphical route. The auger shaft runs side to side and drives the helical looking auger that draws the snow into the impeller. A simpler way to ask the question is, has anyone ever tried to straighten a 1 inch x 26 inch round shaft, that has a bend directly in the middle, making it about a 1/4 inch out of straight? I'm just looking for ideas on technique manly. I don't have a shop press. Thanks.

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted October 28, 2011 - 05:53 AM

Here's a link for the how-to on pics: http://gardentractor...res-gttalk-209/
Pretty simple, really.
As far as straightening it, depends on how sharp of a bend it has. Some heat may help, just have to apply in the right spot and bend carefully back. Spin the shaft and check. Rather a long process at times. Sometimes easier to just bite the bullet and get a new shaft and drill what holes that are needed.