Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Why did you choose the brand you did to collect?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31 mac102004 OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1420
  • 201 Thanks
  • 321 posts

Posted October 27, 2011 - 08:20 PM

Growing up on a farm, we always had Massey's and Case tractors. Therefore, I am partial to both brand and look out for them.

Oh, and my Sears was free, :) But possibly my favorite?

#32 Gibby OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4886
  • 96 Thanks
  • 360 posts

Posted October 27, 2011 - 08:52 PM

Troy...there is something really wrong here...ha ha ha ha ha...sorry bud, we all need a rich friend from time to time ...JD=$$$$ tis why they're green

Not true. They're green so the repo man from the bank can't find them in the field!!!:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:
  • johndeereelfman said thank you

#33 Trav1s ONLINE  

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,586 Thanks
  • 3,739 posts

Posted October 27, 2011 - 08:56 PM

The story is that my dad had a diecast 4010 tractor waiting as soon as he heard that the first child was on the way. That same tractor sits on the shelf restored...

JD was the equipment of choice on the farm with a pair of 4010's doing a most of the work during the first 20 years of my lives. I spent a fair amount of time running a John Deere 55EB square back powered by the same engine in a 4010 gas. There was an Oliver 88 that would serve as pinch-hitter and a Massey 65D that served as wagon mover and ditch mower but the Deeres did 95% of the work.

The first lawn tractor that I remember at home was a flat-fender 110. When the Kohler got tired Dad traded it in on a early 210 with the screen side panels. Around the same time Grandma got a new 212. During all that time my uncle was using the 1967 110 that my Grandfather purchased new. Eventually it was parked due to transaxle problems and awaits restoration. This is the tractor that created my interest in the early 110's and I jumped on my '66 when I found it on CL. While I was watching for a reasonably priced 314 for the model 49 snowblower the 120 showed up and I grabbed it. Now that I know how much larger the 300 series is when compared to the 120/140 I am really happy with my choice.

While I love them all I have a bit of a Deere bias.

#34 Seebo OFFLINE  

• Member No: 2650
  • 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted October 27, 2011 - 10:23 PM

Two summers ago I got a free Craftsman LT4000 with a blown engine in it. Learning how to fix that really got me interested in small engines and subsequently, garden equipment!
A Massey Ferguson 12G came up on Kijiji for a pretty good deal and for some reason I really fixated on it. Right now I really love the Massey stuff, probably because of how it looks like
the bigger tractors. It's so solid and simple, I can actually work on it without worrying about messing it up!

I think that Simplicities (specifically an older Broadmoor) look pretty neat too and would like to get one eventually, but need to find space first!

• Member No: 4343
  • 410 Thanks
  • 482 posts

Posted October 28, 2011 - 02:39 AM

I like 'em all, I prefer the models that ressemble the larger tractors, now that i think about it my favorite is the next one!

#36 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,341 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted October 29, 2011 - 09:34 PM

For me it's because we have had International's on our farm ever since my great grandparents bought the first tractor on the farm. A 1918 International 8-16. We've had almost exclusively IH ever since with the exception of a Silver KIng early on and a 1270 Case farm tractor several years ago. The IH blood runs pretty deep in my family and it's just natural we've had Cub Cadets due to our history with IH equipment. My dad does however have a 318 JD that he bought new in 87 and I have the Massey 7 and 12. But for me I'm just hooked on the older Cub Cadets with their simple shaft drive design, nearly bullet proof transmissions and good old K series Kohlers.

#37 cityboy2977 OFFLINE  

ordinary average guy

• Member No: 6650
  • 117 Thanks
  • 179 posts

Posted October 30, 2011 - 09:12 AM

the wife and i made a decision to move up to northern Mich. on some property, so i knew i needed some type of machine to help work the land. not gettin any younger.
my first GT was the Simplicity 7116.

i like the Simplicity line for the ease of putting on attachments and wrenching.
love my MTD 990 Farm King because of the brute force it it puts to the 27" tires. and the 3pt. lift.....i want another.
i have also had a few LT's and a Bolens H16 XL. i dont think i will ever be latched to one particular brand of machine.