Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Why did you choose the brand you did to collect?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#16 mrolds88 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6584
  • 2 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted October 26, 2011 - 06:46 PM

Lets see. I have a LT400 Sears, a ST/8 Sears, A 12.5 HP Craftsman II, A late 80's Wizard, and a early 90's 212-5 WH. Got the LT4000 from my parents when they got a zero turn, Got the WH to mow/blow snow when I got my house,Got the Craftsman II because it was free, got the Wizard because it was $10 and the 18 HO Briggs runs, and got the ST/8 as a parts tractor for the Wizard, but am goint to rebuild it instead. So I guess I dont really gravitate to one brand. If I did, would probably have to be Cub Cadet since we had a 149 when I was young.

#17 caseguy OFFLINE  

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted October 26, 2011 - 06:56 PM

I am a collector at heart. About 12 years ago I bought my first Case farm tractor. Subsequently, I bought 3 more. Over the years I have had several different brands of garden tractors and lawn mowers. From Sears to Cub Cadet to Murray to JD to Bolens and Wheel Horse. When my Wife and I bought our property off of her Grandparents Estate, it came with a Wheel Horse 314-8. I mowed grass with it for many years and used it for odd jobs around the place. I later came to discover that there has been for many, many years a Wheel Horse in service on the property and I really like the 314-8...so I got another...a 1980 C105...and another, and another, etc...LOL. I now have 10 Wheel Horses and I think that I'm stuck on them. I don't have anything against any of the others, but for me, Wheel Horse is the one.

#18 Billygoat OFFLINE  

• Member No: 2454
  • 76 Thanks
  • 206 posts

Posted October 26, 2011 - 07:04 PM

I like them all! I bought a JD 316 new in the early 90's, my brother had a Super Cub Cadet-1872 I think, at the same time. Both were great tractors. We ended up selling them both. I almost bought a Massey with a shaft drive once, but couldn't close the deal. Almost got into Cubs once but can't remember why I didn't. Got into Case when youngest son offered me his junker ('74-444) as payment for money he had borrowed. Started working on it and really liked how it is built even though it needed everything. I liked it so much I bought a '76-444 to use while I refurbish the '74. They have a couple of short-comings, but they can be overcome.

#19 Cvans OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,312 Thanks
  • 4,909 posts

Posted October 26, 2011 - 07:06 PM

I guess the reason I have what I have is because it was there at the right time and right price. I enjoy them all and like finding out what make them tick. Don't mind converting them to diesel if things work out that way. Haven't any favorites but there are some that don't appeal to me.
It's all about having fun.

#20 Deck_Drive OFFLINE  

collector of sears

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 736
  • 96 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted October 26, 2011 - 07:36 PM

I go to sears mostly, because they are tough as nails. I really like the styling of all the machines roper built. There really is no backround as to why I chose sears, it could have been that my first tractor was a craftsman GT6000. I could not kill that thing lol. Then I was given an 84GT18. I called that a sears for the longest time lol. Then I guess I found my 66 suburban 12 and now I am here. I have tried a few of the brands over the years and still keep going back to sears.

#21 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted October 26, 2011 - 08:00 PM

I have had a Jacobsen Chief, and several Cub Cadets that were all used by me for a while before selling. An old Sears that I could not get to run and a couple of Ford LGTs, 145 and 100. I had the LGT 145 for about 7 years, loved it but then stumbled on my firs Allis Chalmers a 712H. Since then the Fords are gone and Simplicity and A/C for me. Love the simplicity of connecting all of the attachments, rugged construction and ease of maintenance.

#22 pete50 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6604
  • 2 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted October 26, 2011 - 08:46 PM

Really like allis chalmers because when I was younger that was what we farmed with.but am also partial to gravely. worked as groundskeeper at local university for twenty years and we pretty much maintained the whole place with walkbehinds.

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 26, 2011 - 10:40 PM

I Can't say I have got to the point of collecting yet. I have a JD 318 and a Murray(Yard King) 22 hp. The John Deere partly because there is a dealer 10 miles away and I drive within a mile of twice a day if I need parts. And partly because my brother did commercial mowing for 2o yrs and used all Deere, so if I need mechanical help he knows them inside out.
The Murray because it came with the acreage I bought, and it's completely changed any negative attitude I had towards Murrays.
I've done a ton of work with it this summer. And the only repair was a fuel shut off solenoid and a mower belt. The belt was purely user abuse, the machine was never meant to mow 5 acres of cornstalks? So I guess I owed it a belt!

If I were to collect, and that's a big if as I'm more of a user than a polisher. The one Brand that really interests me is the Economy/Power King/Jim Dandy.
Were I to come across any one of them(pre plastic) I would find it hard to pass up.

Edited by JD DANNELS, October 26, 2011 - 10:47 PM.

#24 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,581 Thanks
  • 38,979 posts

Posted October 27, 2011 - 12:41 AM

I really haven't 'chosen' a brand. Just come across deals. The two Sears/Craftsman tractors were free, Ford and attachments was only $200. I was sure I could get my money back out of the tiller and 10" plow for it. The Cub, I paid a lot for, $400. But I got it for a specific purpose (mowing). Depending on how things go, I may be a Case owner soon. And I do have my little JD RER and MTD LT.
I am a little partial to the Ford, it's is my first with hydraulic lift and Jacobsen did build some tough machines.

#25 rammer OFFLINE  

• Member No: 2057
  • 13 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted October 27, 2011 - 10:10 AM

sad story with a happy ending (so far).
my wife and i moved to wine country, just 1/2 acre surrounded by a vineyard, prairie grass & wildflowers. we inherited a craftsman rider that broke down so i replaced it with a Craftsman power push mower. Then i got cancer, went thru (3) operations, a year of chemo and still continue in physio programs.
Now, to answer the question - during all that fun, i was unable to do much around the house (if any), so i knew i needed a small machine that my wife could use too, to cut grass, push or blow snow & maybe till the garden. I found a totally restored '70 JD110 on the internet; bought it and i was hooked (she wasn't, i was).
I've been thru the 100 series (RF & SF), had a couple of 300 series and seem to have settled on the 200 series (i have 2 workers and 2 parts machines).
Now, i've got my hooks out for a JD420 LOL.
Tom (rammer)

#26 FuzzyOne OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6603
  • 3 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted October 27, 2011 - 12:03 PM

When a kid in the 60's I would daydream over the Cubs advertised in Popular Mechanics and Popular Science. I also like anything that Toro made, as I mowed yards. I also wanted a mini dozer. I had the normal arguments with my friends, which was better Tecumseh or Briggs, knowing that Kohler was King of the cast iron.
So in 1990 I bought my first Cub Cadet a 1978 1250 with a modded John Deere mower deck, 140 hours and $300.
I had pestered my neighbor for 10+ years for his Cub Cadet, so in 2007 I got his 1979 1200 with the proper deck. If a Cub 1450 or 1650 finds me I will try to get it in a heartbeat.
Recently a AMF 1414 with many attachments and cart found me at a estate sale for less than $300. It was clean and lightly used. Jury still out on what I plan to do with it. Still need to clean out the old gas and see if it runs. Did charge the battery and it cranks. Round toits are getting deep.
A year ago a neighbor passed on and when I went to her estate sale I discovered she had a dust covered collection of attachments, lawn sweeper, cart, aerator and more, for 70's era Cub Cadet. These items were selling to one gentleman as I walked up. Ever been there?
This site has made me aware of the fine looking Massey GTs and other brands. I have always been partial to anything Red. So I really like the Cub Cadets and now the Massey GTs.

#27 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,461 Thanks
  • 2,527 posts

Posted October 27, 2011 - 07:34 PM

I've always enjoyed the sounds of the 2-cylinder John Deere's working the fields when I was a kid, so I guess that is the reason for my JD fetish. I've been collecting John Deere farm toys and memorabilia since I was around three years old. In fact my very first tractor was a 1965 #20 John Deere pedal tractor and wagon, which is sitting in my basement this very day. I even have a never folded, Corn Flakes cereal box, offering this pedal tractor as a mail in offer. Since the Farm Tractors are a little more out of my price range, I thought I'd continue my "toy" collection, by buying a 1966 John Deere 110 round fender, with the mower deck and the snowthrower for $150.00. Later I purchased the front blade for a adiitional $50.00. I wanted to restore the tractor and mower deck, and then sit it in my basement with the toy collection, but after it was done, I decided to show it instead.

Anyway, one thing lead to another, and eventually the "toy" collection of Garden Tractors grew, one right after the other. Now the collection is complete with all eleven round fenders, consisting of the seven 110's and the four 112's, and all of the John Deere attachments for this series of tractors, with the exception of a integral sprayer. Never would have guess back in 1989 when I purchased the first one, that I would have ever come this far!

Don't get me wrong, I like the looks of the Allis Chalmers, Massey's, Sears, and older Wheel Horse's, but my heart and desire will always be true to John Deere's.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted October 27, 2011 - 08:01 PM

...Don't get me wrong, I like the looks of the Allis Chalmers, Massey's, Sears, and older Wheel Horse's, but my heart and desire will always be true to John Deere's.

Troy...there is something really wrong here...ha ha ha ha ha...sorry bud, we all need a rich friend from time to time ...JD=$$$$ tis why they're green

#29 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted October 27, 2011 - 08:12 PM

Heres the story in a round about way.....

My wife grew up on a dairy farm as a little girl, and they had Deere green stuff. So when it came time for us to get our first "big" tractor, it was gonna be a Deere! I had no history with this stuff, so any color was ok with me as long as it did what we needed.

As to lawn mowers, we had an old Craftsman that was on life support. So since we had become a Deere house, we looked at a green mower. Found two older LX mowers at an auction. Neither ran, but the price was right and I got one running and kept the second as a parts supply. But these were worker machines.

We started collecting when my wife went to an estate auction while visiting her family in Michigan. She bought a nice little Deere 110 at a good price. I had to drive to Michigan with the trailer to pick it up (she had flown up to visit), but we stored it at her sisters until we could get it.

Then the 316K showed up........

I like Deere cuz it's what I know - there is a cumulative knowledge which comes with having multiple similar items. I also like that the dealership network is everywhere, and they still have parts for MOST of their products. Expensive at times, but at least available. And many of the items are available through other sources (Napa, Briggs, etc) - mostly due to Deeres volume.

#30 tjrsallis OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6082
  • 5 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted October 27, 2011 - 08:19 PM

We had Allis Chalmers and Ford farm equipment growing up. Dad still does. I had a dynamark, Deere 110, and snappers I've mowed with. I had been searching for a Ford for a while but they're pretty pricey around here and most of the older Allis's I found had rusted decks. My LGT is a great start. Still want an Allis and a 110 again. Would like to get a bolens and a Minnie as well.