Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Why did you choose the brand you did to collect?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Gary from Muleshoe ONLINE  

Gary from Muleshoe

• Member No: 6921
  • 35 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted October 26, 2011 - 02:37 PM

Thought this would make an interesting post. Why did you choose the brand of tractor you did to collect? (i.e. John Deere, Cub Cadet, AC, MM etc..) Not meant to be a bashing of the brands just a chance to brag on your brand.

I am partial to JDs, just because I grew up using the old two bangers and liked the style of the JD garden tractors. I also have a Case which fits right in because I farmed with a Case's also. The Ford was just a good buy and I really like the older ones of any brand. Maybe before I am to old to collect them I will have one of each major brand of big tractors. I collect garden tractors because I have room for them.:smile1:

Edited by JDBrian, October 26, 2011 - 06:23 PM.

• CASENUT said thank you

#2 jdcrawler ONLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 3,175 Thanks
  • 1,726 posts

Posted October 26, 2011 - 02:41 PM

I collect Bolens Ridemasters and I chose them strictly because of their unique design of a tractor.

#3 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted October 26, 2011 - 02:44 PM

I go all out on whatever brand I get attached to. First it was David Bradley walk behinds, now it's Springfield riding tractors.

#4 tractorman604 OFFLINE  

tractorman604
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 683
  • 269 Thanks
  • 694 posts

Posted October 26, 2011 - 03:04 PM

I still love the round hood wheelhorse because of the history and how well they were made,but i am also getting into david bradley two wheel as i am really amazed at how such a simple design can last all thease years,be so strong and so versatile.

#5 Gibby OFFLINE  

Gibby

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4886
  • 96 Thanks
  • 360 posts

Posted October 26, 2011 - 03:11 PM

My first true "garden tractor " was a Gilson. I then bought a Sears, then Cub Cadet, then another Sears, and so on. I have now Sears, John Deere, Cub Cadet, and Gilsons. I like them all, but... I'm starting to gravitate toward the Sears now for the blend of styling, cost, quality, simplicity, parts and implement availability. The Gilsons are few and far between so parts are harder to come by. I consider John Deere the Harley Davidson of garden tractors. Good enough quality, but over inflated prices attached to the name. I have several John Deere's that I got cheap enough, most parts are readily available, but I'm finding parts and attachments are expensive. Cub Cadets I would say would be my second choice to concentrate on after Sears. Prices aren't much more than Sears stuff, quality is as good as John Deere, and there are still a lot of old Cubs around. However, to me, Cubs aren't the most eye appealing. Not to say they are ugly, I like the looks of Cubs, I just like Sears and John Deere a little more.

I'm in no way bashing any brand above, there are things I love about all of them. Sears may not rank as well to me in any one category(other than cost), but on average, score highest. Hope that made sense. -Jeff

#6 ckjakline ONLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted October 26, 2011 - 03:20 PM

I collect different brands but my favorite garden tractors are the masseys,with john deere close behind.I collect the masseys because i think they are the closest in apperance to the larger tractors.I've also liked the john deere also but are a little more pricey.I pick them up when i can for a decent price.

#7 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• Member No: 6698
  • 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted October 26, 2011 - 03:44 PM

I "think" I'm stuck on the JD's because I had an uncle, who bought one new in 1976-78 ?? and at the time, I was convinced that it was the neatest little tractor made. Today... the 116's are just the right size for my GT needs. That, and I know them inside and out and only have to have a few "wearable" parts on hand. Which ever one needs the fix, gets it and I'm off and mowing again.

#8 DanP OFFLINE  

DanP

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6989
  • 276 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted October 26, 2011 - 03:58 PM

We use to be in the Farm Implement buisness. We sold Massey Ferguson, Allis Chalmers, Wheel Horse, Snapper, and New Idea. I now have one of each except the New Idea. It just brings back memories.

#9 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4180
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted October 26, 2011 - 04:09 PM

I like old and overbuilt. Naturally I gravitated towards the Power Kings. Found a 1953 Economy a few years ago and this year I picked up a few bolens. Still when I walk out into the garage I will comment or just admire them for a bit. They just look so good. I would still like to get a speedex(have potential for a S14), round hood wheelhorse, round fender JD, the original Cubs and others of that era.

#10 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted October 26, 2011 - 04:13 PM

panzers because they have a simple drive setup and a car rear end, I also like murrays because they have to 80's sears look

#11 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted October 26, 2011 - 04:19 PM

I stick with John Deere because that's what I grew up on (two-cylinders, literally)! Still like them best for my use. ~~ grnspot

#12 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,334 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted October 26, 2011 - 04:50 PM

We always had Ferguson and Massey Ferguson tractors so having a MF GT was a no brainer. They are probably the GT style that appeals to me most. The tractor I use the most and have enjoyed the most playing around with is my Sears SS12. And as to how I got it, it was on CL and we had a Custom when I was a kid. The Allis and some of the other ones just kinda found me here and there.

#13 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted October 26, 2011 - 05:10 PM

I Like the Cub Cadets because there easy to work on. I also like the driveshaft not belts. I also like the fact that they have cast iron transmissions out of the Farmall Cub. I like the Kohler engines too.

#14 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted October 26, 2011 - 05:46 PM

When I was a kid, my dad had a National Mower, so when I moved to this larger property I decided to find one. I did that, then decided I liked working on the small tractors, so I went looking. I got a heck of a deal on a Ford and really like them. I have 3 Ford LGTs now, a MF, a JD and the old National. I buy and sell the odd one, any make....selling a Sears right now

#15 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted October 26, 2011 - 05:50 PM

Easy, Case because they are the best! Speedex because anything except Case and Speedex should all be trashed...

JK...Case because I got one of 4 Torq's, I had no idea that collecting garden tractors was even a 'hobby'! Then my Friend gave me a stack of magazines and in one issue was some speedexes, I thought I'd like to own one someday...So the opportunity arose for a nice S24 not to far from here and I bought it, nice rugged tractor, kinda simple and basic but still a nice tractor...then 2 weeks later I landed the motherload of all Speedexes totaling 12 tractors and hoards of implements...

I also have a Wheelhorse, my dad bought in 74 I think or 75 C120 Automatic and it is a great tractor, and I have a simplicity 5216 that is awesome, thin Never fails to start...so I have a few now...