• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 trinity5001 OFFLINE  

trinity5001

• Member No: 4267
  • 3 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted October 25, 2011 - 10:20 PM

hi i need help finding a drive shaft for a massey ferguson 1650 it stripped out and needs to be replaced anybody know where to find a new one?

#2 slingblade OFFLINE  

slingblade

• Member No: 4072
  • 2 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted October 26, 2011 - 12:11 AM

I have the same problem. I am assuming that it's stripped by the hydro input shaft. It appears that many have been successful in drilling a hole through the coupler and the shaft and inserting a 6mm(1/4") hardened bolt.
My fan is soaking in wd40 at the moment as I cant remove the set screw(this will be where I will be drilling). If I can free it soon I will will post pics of shaft repair.

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,498 Thanks
  • 39,728 posts

Posted October 26, 2011 - 06:45 AM

Welcome! I'm not a MF guru. Slingblade's idea sounds like it may work. I just don't know much about these.
Slingblade, if you can find some PB Blaster, that might help. I also use a 50-50 mix of acetone and ATF. That works rather well, also. Not sure what's available above the border.
  • slingblade said thank you

#4 MacWorld OFFLINE  

MacWorld

• Member No: 1195
  • 4 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted October 26, 2011 - 08:59 AM

Welcome! I'm not a MF guru. Slingblade's idea sounds like it may work. I just don't know much about these.
Slingblade, if you can find some PB Blaster, that might help. I also use a 50-50 mix of acetone and ATF. That works rather well, also. Not sure what's available above the border.

All of this is available in Canada.

#5 slingblade OFFLINE  

slingblade

• 2 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted October 26, 2011 - 01:27 PM

Kenny,
I like the acetone/atf idea, I have tried PB blaster but for the price didnt think it was a vast improvement over wd or similar.
Does the acetone/atf work well as a rust preventative? I have several GMC Sprints that I would like to treat in common rust areas.

#6 trinity5001 OFFLINE  

trinity5001

• 3 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted October 26, 2011 - 09:33 PM

thankfully the hydrodrive shaft isn't stripped. its the coupling just after the pulleys that drive the rear pto. the front set. part of the shaft and the whole coupling is stripped out. i'd take pics but took shaft in to a guy to see if he can order new one. could take over a month tho. wondering if anybody knew where to get one.

#7 ErnRemy OFFLINE  

ErnRemy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1300
  • 19 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted October 26, 2011 - 10:31 PM

Does anybody know if the splines are the same as the 55 series?? if so here is your pick to weld on the end these ends have 430 hrs on them, I was rebuilding the belt tension-er and pulleys is the reason I changed them out. the only splined end I have now is the hydro end check out this page
http://gardentractor...w-project-9942/

Attached Thumbnails

• 101_0416.jpg
  • 101_0420.jpg
  • 101_0418.jpg

• slingblade said thank you

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,498 Thanks
  • 39,728 posts

Posted October 27, 2011 - 12:21 AM

Kenny,
I like the acetone/atf idea, I have tried PB blaster but for the price didnt think it was a vast improvement over wd or similar.
Does the acetone/atf work well as a rust preventative? I have several GMC Sprints that I would like to treat in common rust areas.

I haven't heard of it being used that way. I've only used it for loosening rusted joints. I don't even have any WD-40 anymore. And WD-40 will freeze, so don't put it on moveable parts during winter months. I found that out on the door locks for my car years ago.
That's one reason I had switched to PB. More of an oil base. I use the PB dry lube some times, depends on the application.

#9 slingblade OFFLINE  

slingblade

• 2 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted October 30, 2011 - 11:54 AM

Does anybody know if the splines are the same as the 55 series?? if so here is your pick to weld on the end these ends have 430 hrs on them, I was rebuilding the belt tension-er and pulleys is the reason I changed them out. the only splined end I have now is the hydro end check out this page
http://gardentractor...w-project-9942/

These are the same spline. Please PM me thanks Shaun.

#10 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted October 30, 2011 - 08:55 PM

I could use the pulley if slingblade doesn't need it. The one for my rear PTO on my 1650 has the splines ripped out.

#11 slingblade OFFLINE  

slingblade

• 2 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted November 04, 2011 - 01:01 AM

Go ahead Coldone, I just need the coupler and possibly the fan.

#12 trinity5001 OFFLINE  

trinity5001

• 3 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted November 09, 2011 - 10:37 PM

so as it turns out massey decided to do an odd size for this tractor its a 3/4 in shaft that is no longer made anywhere in canada. so now looking to see if i can switch out to a larger shaft with adapter couplings for the transmittion and engine. rough estimate 500 bucks this aint going to be cheap but ya gotta do whach ya gotta do

#13 ErnRemy OFFLINE  

ErnRemy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1300
  • 19 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted November 09, 2011 - 11:31 PM

trinity call me I might have the parts that you need sorry I did not recognize it was you. you do not need to spend that kind of money if you need bring the machine back and we will see what we can do sorry about that, if I don't have the parts then we will make some. I think you still have my number yes just to up date members here I sold him the machine he has. In fact the front machine in my avatar is the machine I sold him.

#14 101 senior OFFLINE  

101 senior

• Member No: 1393
  • 180 Thanks
  • 328 posts

Posted November 10, 2011 - 02:14 PM

Heres what I have that was taken off my 1450.loader 001.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• loader 038.jpg
  • loader 035.jpg

#15 Dean1997 OFFLINE  

Dean1997

• Member No: 7385
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted November 10, 2011 - 07:46 PM

Have any of you checked to see if these will work? Hub City Inc - Non PTO Products
The yoke could be bored and a piece of 3/4" splined coupling pressed in

Edited by MH81, November 10, 2011 - 08:18 PM.