#2 josh deaven OFFLINE  

josh deaven

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 535
  • 477 Thanks
  • 574 posts

Posted October 24, 2011 - 06:36 PM

Did you read the article that I wrote for Lagt on the fuel additive called Ethanol shield.At the Kohler school they say that are old k series engine that you should use 87 octane, and on engines that are fuel injected you should use high test gas.Later Josh
  • Bolens 1000 and Alc have said thanks

#3 Littledeere OFFLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted October 24, 2011 - 07:17 PM

Bolens 1000 the sad part is I live a hour or so from that area Its like I tell people there's
not much gas in gas anymore

Josh read your article sounds good to me I hear they put less additives in the 87 and better yet
I used to use the best in all my lawn stuff ,changed to 87 and I can tell the difference in my weed eater
it is running cooler on the 87

I talk to different guys around and it has added one more thing to check if your car is not
running right some of the dealers are getting fuel checked to see what you are getting
at the pump used to be you got water now it's not that simple

#4 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted October 24, 2011 - 10:07 PM

All gas in the mid north alantic states has some level of ethanol, in eastern pa, md and closer to larger cities, it is RFG[reformulated gas], When the gas comes through the pipe line it is plain gas, ethanol is very corrosive and is injected into the trailers a the rack when loading. ethanol is also higher in octane than gas, so too reach the proper octane level, they don't start with say 87 gas and then add ethanol, they start with lower octane gas and then bring it up with ethanol. problem is ethanol absorbs moisture and looses it's octane very easily and quickly. So if you start with high octane gas you are not going to feel the effects as quickly, plus hi test is a slightly different blend. A problem we are seeing is that when the ethanol is being injected in the trailers, the mixture may not be quite right, heard of someone who had a brand new stihl saw that burned up ,when they checked the gas mixture it was found to be 40 % not 10 % ethanol. Best advice is keep lids tight and cans out of the sun, I've also been using a little racing or aircraft gas mixed in.
  • NUTNDUN said thank you

#5 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted October 24, 2011 - 10:53 PM

I just did a quick skim of the article, but it sounds like a good read for a day when I'm a little more alert. Thanks for sharing that with us Brian!

#6 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted October 25, 2011 - 09:46 AM

I have always used 87 100% gasoline since it is available but know this is not a option in other parts of the country. Will check the article later...

#7 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted October 27, 2011 - 06:14 PM

I will say that avoiding a certain area chain has improved my chances of normal injector life and the " oil spill people " are not that chain of supplier.

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted October 28, 2011 - 04:58 AM

I get all the gas from QuikTrip. They do a large volume of sales, so the gas is 'fresher'. Haven't had any problems with their product. Not sure where they get it, have their own tankers. The stores are always busy. I'll have to read the articles above, got lots of time this winter for reading.

#9 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted October 30, 2011 - 10:17 PM

KENNYP brings up a good point, I also try to buy my gas from places that i know use desginated trailers, the company i work for hauls heating oil as well as gas, so if the load before the gas load was oil ,you could have 5,10 or even 15 gal left in bottom of pot and piping. That can really nock the crap out of your octane. it's a lot easier to nock down than it is too bring up.

#10 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted October 31, 2011 - 04:10 AM

Great post and a very important subject that affects these older engines. In SW Little Rock-as of yesterday- there is only 1 station selling non-ethanol fuel. Apparently, the article suggests storing a few gallons to keep handy or buy when the price is down is not a good idea.

#11 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted October 31, 2011 - 10:26 PM

Actually the ethanol is getting a bad rap, Sunoco has used ethanol at 10 % for years and years, one thing ethanol does is ,it cleans the varnish and fungi off the tanks and lines. ( yes there is a fungis that grows in gas ), and thats creating filtering problems ,but the other additives to clean it up aren't working out so great, so maybe in your area you won't have the reformulated stuff
I don't understand how when you have to burn twice as much gas to get the same job done is helping the enviroment!

#12 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted November 02, 2011 - 08:13 PM

:ditto: , that's the reason i had to remove my fuel pump and gravity feed my carb on the 2a016 engine, the water that ethanol holds froze the fuel into a thick past when the temp was at 30 degrees, would not pump it to the carb much less pass the jets in the carb,
i switched to airplane grade fuel high octane without ethanol with no engine troubles (DO NOT run airplane grade fuel thue an engine that is not built for it, my 2a016 engine is built to run on it) i would put the pump back on but gas is $$$ so back to 93 octane for me and gravity feed for now,
thanks for the PDF file on it, i will forward it to others who need to know,

#13 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted November 02, 2011 - 10:32 PM

On our Rotax and Kawasaki airplane engines we run non-ethanol gasoline. We don't need water held in suspension in the fuel. Carb icing in a plane is no fun.
Just one less thing to worry about.

#14 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted November 03, 2011 - 02:52 AM

I have also had problems with the fuel pumps that are built into briggs carbs, I been taking the guts out of them, put them back on and then run the lines and vacum to a new style kohler vacum style fuel pump.
  • Alc said thank you