Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Welcome to Garden Tractor Talk Forums

GTtalk is the place to go if you are a garden tractor collector or someone looking for information on your favorite tractor. We have interactive forums, registry, tractor / implement manuals, photo galleries, articles, show coverage, tech tips and how tos, classifieds and much more.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which provides limited access. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate with other members, vote on polls, upload images and attachments as well as many other special features. Registration is quick and easy and best of all completely free!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Photo
- - - - -

how are made turbo collector fan and/or leaf vacuums fan?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MacWorld OFFLINE  

MacWorld

• Member No: 1195
  • 4 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted October 24, 2011 - 10:29 AM

I am wondering if I could build a general purpose vacuum (leaf, grass) to use behind my MF 1655 using the PTO. How are the impellers made for the grass turbo collector? How is it made on gas powered walk-behind leaf vacuums? Do I simply need a flat plate with blades on it and get this turning in a housing? About how fast should it turn?

I tried finding pictures of the impellers but had no luck so far.

Thanks!

#2 MacWorld OFFLINE  

MacWorld

• 4 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted October 31, 2011 - 11:26 AM

Since nobody seems to have pictures here is the vacuum I bought 2 days ago.

Posted Image
This machine works quite well but the conception is really bad. Looks like it was assembled with a bunch of parts without ever thinking about maintenance, durability or useability. At least it does vacuum properly and DOES shred to small pieces.

I had to repair it a bit so I disassembled it completely.

Here is the "blower housing"... quite simple!
Posted Image

Even more simple is the impeller
Posted Image
Posted Image

So, nothing fancy about the conception and it does the work properly. Easy to copy and that's what I will do to be able of installing a similar vacuum behind my MF 1655 but PTO driven.

I hope it will help someone.

Edited by MacWorld, October 31, 2011 - 11:31 AM.

• Lovintractorin said thank you

#3 lyall OFFLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 990 Thanks
  • 913 posts

Posted October 31, 2011 - 09:48 PM

making an impeller has to be balance or it will shake things all apart. making an impeller out of steel it well take time to balance it. an impeller from a plastic mold, very little to do to it. most come out of the mold balanced. the walk bind like like it should spin around 3600 rpm and most are around that rpm. faster is not always better, it can cause a vacuum affect with no suction and the size of the impeller plays a part in it. Finding the right air movement is a big deal in the design.
Look at your furnace blower how it is designed, it is designed to move air. then look at your wife's vacuum cleaner and look at it impeller. A yard vacuum is about the same in design, but needs to be build properly or you will have part flying all over the place. Ouch
having a spiraling blades can help the air flow and things that are in the air flow. but they are hard to make out of steel. plastic impellers have to be hard for impact but also be flexible so that they come apart.
so I would save a lot of time a buy an impeller and make the housing.
remember that rocks and other things have mast and will break things, so make your bag or box the stand up to it.

to see several different design for impeller do a Google search for "impeller design"

#4 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 2,445 Thanks
  • 4,415 posts

Posted October 31, 2011 - 10:12 PM

I must be missing something here . Since you now have a a motor/impeller and housing wouldn't it be easier to just take rework the intake to go onto you tractor and mount the housing to the trailer ? I beleive that's what my friend did to make his leaf vacuum set-up , Al

#5 MacWorld OFFLINE  

MacWorld

• 4 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted November 01, 2011 - 08:12 AM

lyall: Yes I am aware my custom impeller will have to be properly balanced and I will balance it or have it balanced professionally if I see I cannot do it. My idea is to use the same method as I do with my mowers: get the existing thing (or build it) and balance it on a horizontal nail (or something solid enough) until in any position it will not rotate on it's support. Since the impeller will be rotating on 2 bearings if they don't pose much frictions because of grease I will use this horizontal to balance the impeller.

I am not too much afraid of the balancing, worst case there is machines to do that. You might be aware that for performance gasoline car engine it's frequent to remove weight on the flywheel and balance it again. Those things are balanced for 8000 - 9000rpm. My guess is that this method would be fine for a small impeller.

As for plastic I doubt it would last long with small branches and rocks hitting it. Also, the concept of this impeller is so simple I can copy it pretty easily since I know how to weld and bend metal to shape.

The speed is quite easy to find if I copy the impeller and the housing on a scale ratio of 1:1... The same RPM as the 5hp engine! I simply have to find the RPM of this engine and use proper pulleys to adjust my PTO RPM to something near that.

Alc: the point of making a copy of it is to keep the current machine useable. I found it to be pretty efficient in removing leaf under my cedar hedge (I hope it's the right term) and mounted on the tractor I could not use it for this purpose.

I also do not want to have the loud 5hp engine running behind the tractor. I will get this thing running off my 1655's PTO. I will look at the possibility to make a "quick connect" to use the impeller and housing on the machine or on the tractor but I am afraid this would require major modifications and a complicated-for-nothing mechanism.

#6 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 2,445 Thanks
  • 4,415 posts

Posted November 01, 2011 - 11:17 AM

Yea a PTO will be nicer then having an extra motor is one more to service and keep running , just going to be a little more but should turn out better in the long run , Al

#7 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 1,027 Thanks
  • 1,045 posts

Posted November 02, 2011 - 08:00 AM

About how fast should it turn?

Almost all 4-cycle leaf vacuums and leaf blowers have the impeller attached directly to the engine crankshaft, so the impeller turns at engine speed. .....For best performance, the engine should run at 3600-3800 rpm, which is pretty much the maximum rpm the engine should run at for long life.

If you drive your impeller through the PTO, you will probably want to increase the rpm above the PTO speed to obtain good results. (I am not familiar with the PTO speed of your MF tractor.) .....If you are belt-driving the impeller from the PTO, you should be able to use pulley ratios to get the impeller rpm where you want it.

A properly-designed, larger impeller may operate satisfactorily at lower speeds, but impeller design requires considerable engineering. .....Strength of materials, inertia, and blade-tip speeds all need to be considered as well as balancing, which you are already aware.