#1 pumpkintoter OFFLINE  

pumpkintoter

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2629
  • 11 Thanks
  • 181 posts

Posted October 24, 2011 - 12:22 AM

my ol 316k wont start it seems to be getting spark and fuel but it just wont start. if i choke it fully it will pop but still wont fire. anyone have any idea where to look? the fuel pump is pumping and its got spark..

i drove it parked it now nothing :confuse:

#2 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,298 Thanks
  • 2,332 posts

Posted October 24, 2011 - 02:25 AM

What color is the spark at the plug?If it's any other color than a Bright Bluish White then that is your problem.Yellow or orange spark isn't enough to ignite gasoline.
I would change out the Condenser and spark plug to start with.They are cheap parts.
  • pumpkintoter said thank you

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,276 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted October 24, 2011 - 04:31 AM

Definitely change out the plug, been bit one too many times by plugs that look good out of the engine & fail when screwed in.

Will it start using choke cleaner? The bit about it popping once in a while on full choke, could say it's not getting enough gas.

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,450 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted October 24, 2011 - 05:22 AM

Maybe while your changing the plug you might take a compression test or just try keeping a finger over the spark plug hole while cranking , just ground the plug wire , it bites ! Al

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 24, 2011 - 11:23 AM

If the plug is wet you may have an ignition problem. I'd check the points. I had my 314 refuse to start and that's what the problem was.

#6 pumpkintoter OFFLINE  

pumpkintoter

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 11 Thanks
  • 181 posts

Posted October 24, 2011 - 12:15 PM

It pops when i hit it with carb cleaner but thats about it.. when i get back to the house on friday ill start with a plug..

#7 pumpkintoter OFFLINE  

pumpkintoter

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 11 Thanks
  • 181 posts

Posted October 24, 2011 - 12:16 PM

If the plug is wet you may have an ignition problem. I'd check the points. I had my 314 refuse to start and that's what the problem was.

yeah the plug is wet.. so i guess ill ry a plug and go from there..

#8 140 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 7147
  • 3 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted October 26, 2011 - 07:10 PM

Not sure if you solved your problem. But I'd check the points over before I'd worry about a new plug. If it wont light off for a few seconds after giving it a shot of either, but it will go pop at least once, then I would suspect points. That is where you will loose most of your ignitions voltage. It is possible to clean and re gap points, but I usually just replace and re-gap. Napa auto parts has Kohler points for less $ than Deere does FYI.
  • mikebramel, MH81 and pumpkintoter have said thanks

#9 pumpkintoter OFFLINE  

pumpkintoter

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 11 Thanks
  • 181 posts

Posted October 27, 2011 - 12:15 AM

Not sure if you solved your problem. But I'd check the points over before I'd worry about a new plug. If it wont light off for a few seconds after giving it a shot of either, but it will go pop at least once, then I would suspect points. That is where you will loose most of your ignitions voltage. It is possible to clean and re gap points, but I usually just replace and re-gap. Napa auto parts has Kohler points for less $ than Deere does FYI.

Havent made it home yet im due to be home this weekend.. im gonna do just that points and plug and go from there..

when i go to napa what numbers do i need to give them for the right points?

#10 140 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 7147
  • 3 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted October 27, 2011 - 05:55 PM

Just tell them it's is a Kohler k341 (just a guess as that is the 16 horse Kohler). If they need the exact model I believe it is a K341AQS. Those points fit most K series anyway. They'll have a book that they can look up that engine and it'll tell them a bunch of the commonly replaced parts and part numbers. Like air filter, plug, points, condenser.... you get the just of it. If my memory serves me correct, someone over at WFM was having a spark issue and they discovered that their condenser had loosened up causing a bad connection, you may check that too. Heck check all ignition connections while you're at it. Sure won't hurt any. Good luck.

#11 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 27, 2011 - 06:28 PM

140 thats a good point about the connections. The way these Kohlers vibrate it's possible for something to come loose. When my 321 would not start it turned out to be the points were barely opening. It had run like that since I got it but then refused to start. I regapped them and got it going with the old ones until I got new parts. The coil and the condenser cases both have to have a good electrical connection to the engine for the ignition to work properly.

#12 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted October 28, 2011 - 08:45 AM

A bad coil made my 120 hard to start and it eventually would stall when it got hot. Swapped in the coil from the 110 and all is well. Definitely check the points and the color of the spark.
White/Blue = good
Anything else = bad/weak

#13 pumpkintoter OFFLINE  

pumpkintoter

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 11 Thanks
  • 181 posts

Posted November 02, 2011 - 11:45 AM

ok got the points changed and new plug installed.. what am i missing it has spark and gas.still wont start. GRRRRRR...

#14 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,863 posts

Posted November 02, 2011 - 12:39 PM

Is the spark blue and jump at least a 1/4"?
If not it is the coil. or plug wire

#15 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 02, 2011 - 03:52 PM

I got mine going with just repairing the points. I later replaced the coil, points, condenser and push rod. I kept getting different resistance readings from the coil secondary which didn't seem like a good sign to me. It's started fine ever since.
If you got good spark and fuel then I guess you need to check air, compression and timing.