• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 BcKc OFFLINE  

BcKc

• Member No: 6490
  • 14 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted October 23, 2011 - 11:58 PM

When I brought home my L2 it had on reduction wheels on in the forward poisition, worked nice but the attachment angle is incorrect and I could not fit any of the attachments on except the rotovater.:confuse:
After reading a but I find out you can install them with the wheels slung to the rear, this is better but it make it so you can not lift the implement, correct?
Has anybody installed the reduction wheels so they ride vertical from the position of the factory wheel location?
I don't mind pulling apart the machine just to find out because I want to find out what worm gear it has, I think from the fact I have to walk at a brisk pace it must be the 8 tooth unit.
Any info would be great!
KC

#2 wobbly OFFLINE  

wobbly

• Member No: 6318
  • 6 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted October 25, 2011 - 07:13 AM

KC I have an old LI model with the gear reduction hubs. If you look at the axle hub, there are two concave cut-outs opposite one another on the axle housing. On the L, and LI models one can remove all the bolts in the axle housing and turn the housing thus putting the concave alinement concave slots in different positions. With 6 holes one is able to move the axle housing into 3 different positions that enables placement of gear hubs in 6 different positions. The closer the concave cut-out to the ground, the higher the machine. If the cut-out is parallel with the floor ( the concave cut-out facing forwarw and backwards), hub choice if forward or aft height relationship to floor remaining constant. On my LI my hubs are set with cut-outs and 2PM and 7PM positions. If I set them at 7Pm for extra height the tires will rub the starter motor.
Before you turn axle housings to change height relationships or tire relationships with accessories remember: DRAIN OIL AND DO NOT REMOVE THE SHIMS OR SWITCH THE SHIMS AROUND. BEST PRACTICE IS TO REMOVE THE 6 BOLTS AND TURN THE HOUSINGS WITHOUT PULLING OUT THE AXLES.
I hope this is of some help...wobbly

#3 wobbly OFFLINE  

wobbly

• 6 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted October 25, 2011 - 07:21 AM

KC: A better way to test worm gear is to jack machine up so one wheel is off the floor. Remove spark plug. Put machine in low gear forward setting. Turn crank pulley by hand and count the turns the crank makes to 1/4 revolution of the wheel on the jack. Here my memory is fuzzy: 8 or 9 turns of crank to 1/4 wheel turn is an LI: 4-5 turns an L, and 12 or more an LS. The L model is the fast one and I think it has 8 leads on the worm gear. This information can be found in correct detail through the Gravely Tractor Club of America web site. hope this helps...wobbly

#4 BcKc OFFLINE  

BcKc

• 14 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted October 26, 2011 - 01:24 AM

Wobbly the info is great!
I was not sure what all is in the axle area, but looking is not a bad thing just put it all back again.
As for the axle cut outs i think i only have the half moon in one location? I will have to double check that.
As for the reposition of the wheels, you discribed just what i was thinking but i thought somebody must have been like me before and done this once or twice so i had to ask!

I will let you know what i come up with for the gears in this one, im sure its an "L" unit as i have to darn near run when its in high with the standard 8" wheels on! ( and im not that short i dont think)

#5 wobbly OFFLINE  

wobbly

• 6 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted October 29, 2011 - 10:12 AM

KC: You are going to laugh but I keep gear wheels on my LI year round. I never liked the speed of the L model and do not own one. My old LI is just about right with the gear reduction. I don't go for that being yanked around anymore so I can sympathize about not running behind an L....wobbly

#6 BcKc OFFLINE  

BcKc

• 14 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted October 30, 2011 - 12:30 AM

Wobbly,
Now that I have had a turn or two with the reduction wheels off I think they will be going back on.... maybe forever!
I plan on using one machine as a brush basher on the property we have, and the reduction wheels are the only way to control the unts as its all a north slope with trails running around the area.
just have to get a duel set up or get the wide track axles on that I have.

#7 BcKc OFFLINE  

BcKc

• 14 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted November 01, 2011 - 01:08 AM

So I checked and found out the axle housings I have are L203A and only have one of hte half moon reliefs for the reduction wheels. I do have one set that have no markings but do have the duel reliefs fro teh reductions.
Does anybody know what one is newer or correct for vintage. I just done want to use teh wroung ones on the old unit I plan to restore.

Thank you in advance!
Kc

#8 wobbly OFFLINE  

wobbly

• 6 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted November 02, 2011 - 12:40 PM

Hi KC: It seems that Gravely had castings made for them at different shops by different companies over the years. The Gravely Tractor Club of America addressed the subject of different castings and the period they were offered. Gravely also offered a lot of options so either of the axle housings you have may well be original to the serial number of the tractor. If you are concerned try the Gravely Tractor Club of America; they have a lot of information and there are some people who know what they are talking about. You will find them on the web.....wobbly

#9 BcKc OFFLINE  

BcKc

• 14 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted November 03, 2011 - 12:48 AM

cheers!
I will be in touch with them about it when the time comes.
thank you wobbly