Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

DIXON TRACTORS: Does this company have the slightest clue about this market?

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#16 TooTall999 OFFLINE  

TooTall999

• Member No: 1017
  • 2 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted August 09, 2010 - 03:57 PM

I'm the proud owner of a Dixon D26KH54...I decided on the purchase after looking at the Husqvarna GTH2752Ls, Craftsman GT5000, and the Cub Cadet 2554. I thought the Dixon offered the most for the money. And as a point of reference, the frame is the same 11gauge frome used in both the Husky and Craftsman.

#17 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted August 10, 2010 - 01:00 PM

How about sharing your thoughts on this machine since little is known about it and few have been sold so far.

What have you owned in the past? What was it about the Dixon that the Husq, Cub or Craftsman did not have? Did you get to test drive it first? What do you like about it so far? Has it been hard on fuel? Is it easy to service? How has the dealer been now that you own it? Have there been any warrantee issues? How many hours have you put on it? Describe your property. How large is it in acres or parts of an acre? Is it flat, hilly, mixed? Do you have to cut around a lot of obstacles? Is there anything about the Dixon that bugs you?

#18 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 10, 2010 - 01:21 PM

I think hydriv might have a question.:rofl2:

BTW,:welcometogttalk:TooTall999

#19 TooTall999 OFFLINE  

TooTall999

• 2 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted August 10, 2010 - 04:10 PM

How about sharing your thoughts on this machine since little is known about it and few have been sold so far.

What have you owned in the past? What was it about the Dixon that the Husq, Cub or Craftsman did not have? Did you get to test drive it first? What do you like about it so far? Has it been hard on fuel? Is it easy to service? How has the dealer been now that you own it? Have there been any warrantee issues? How many hours have you put on it? Describe your property. How large is it in acres or parts of an acre? Is it flat, hilly, mixed? Do you have to cut around a lot of obstacles? Is there anything about the Dixon that bugs you?

First of all the Dixon is basically the same machine as the Craftsman GT5000 and the Husqvarna GTH. They share the same frame and quite a few other parts as well. The Dixon has the Kawasaki 26hp v twin, the Craftsman has the Kohler courage, and the Husky has the Briggs Endurance engine. Fronm the reviews I'd read on another site, the Kawasaki was reputed to be the best of the 3. The 54" deck is the same as on the Craftsman and the Husky YTH 54" tractors, the Husky has the 52" fabricated deck. The Dixon is equipped with a Brinly sleeve hitch, a TT K-66 hydro, and bigger rear tires 24-12x12. I was torn between the Husky with it's fabricated deck, and the Dixon. The Craftsman was #3 out of the bunch. I also looked at the Cub Cadet 2554 and the John Deere x500 series. Both the Cub and Deere were out of my budget range, and the nearest Cub dealer was almost 2 hours away, a major factor.What finally sold me on the Dixon was the fact that my Dixon dealer; who has operated a very reputable repair shop- dealership, is only 3 miles from my house. There is also a full Husqvarna dealer in town, but he had no GTH units in stock, and unless I wanted to pay full price plus shipping, was very reluctant to order me one. I wanted a garden tractor versus a lawn tractor as I have 7-8 acres to keep mowed. The land is mostly flat, but has a steep ditch bank at the front along the road.I have numerous out buildings and farm implements to mow around, and it isn't what you'd call a smooth ride. So far there is nothing about the Dixon that bugs me. I plan on buying a box scraper, landscape rake and either a front blade or snowblower for it in the future. Although there have been some reported problems with the electric deck lift, I have had no trouble with it. My dealer also assured me that if there were any problems, he'd bend over backwards to make it right. My only other GT was an older Sears GT 6000,18hp opposed Briggs motor, 44"deck. My new mowchine has cut my mowing time in half, which makes me a very happy owner. Hope this answers all your questions.
  • dryrun and tractorgarden have said thanks

#20 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted August 11, 2010 - 12:24 PM

Thanks for the reply. Good luck with your new machine. I hope you stick around and keep us up to date on what you are using it for and how it's performing.

#21 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted August 11, 2010 - 12:33 PM

First of all the Dixon is basically the same machine as the Craftsman GT5000 and the Husqvarna GTH. They share the same frame and quite a few other parts as well. The Dixon has the Kawasaki 26hp v twin, the Craftsman has the Kohler courage, and the Husky has the Briggs Endurance engine. Fronm the reviews I'd read on another site, the Kawasaki was reputed to be the best of the 3. The 54" deck is the same as on the Craftsman and the Husky YTH 54" tractors, the Husky has the 52" fabricated deck. The Dixon is equipped with a Brinly sleeve hitch, a TT K-66 hydro, and bigger rear tires 24-12x12. I was torn between the Husky with it's fabricated deck, and the Dixon. The Craftsman was #3 out of the bunch. I also looked at the Cub Cadet 2554 and the John Deere x500 series. Both the Cub and Deere were out of my budget range, and the nearest Cub dealer was almost 2 hours away, a major factor.What finally sold me on the Dixon was the fact that my Dixon dealer; who has operated a very reputable repair shop- dealership, is only 3 miles from my house. There is also a full Husqvarna dealer in town, but he had no GTH units in stock, and unless I wanted to pay full price plus shipping, was very reluctant to order me one. I wanted a garden tractor versus a lawn tractor as I have 7-8 acres to keep mowed. The land is mostly flat, but has a steep ditch bank at the front along the road.I have numerous out buildings and farm implements to mow around, and it isn't what you'd call a smooth ride. So far there is nothing about the Dixon that bugs me. I plan on buying a box scraper, landscape rake and either a front blade or snowblower for it in the future. Although there have been some reported problems with the electric deck lift, I have had no trouble with it. My dealer also assured me that if there were any problems, he'd bend over backwards to make it right. My only other GT was an older Sears GT 6000,18hp opposed Briggs motor, 44"deck. My new mowchine has cut my mowing time in half, which makes me a very happy owner. Hope this answers all your questions.

Sounds like you made a very wise thought out decision :thumbs: We would love to see some pics, especially of the actual machine and not on the companies website. When you are buying new equipment no matter what it is having a great dealer to work with is one of the biggest factors. I do like the looks of the Dixon but I love the older gt's too much. I hope it gives you years of great service and like hydriv I hope you stick around and keep us updated with it. :D

#22 TooTall999 OFFLINE  

TooTall999

• 2 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted August 30, 2010 - 05:30 PM

*Update* I now have 35 hours on my Dixon. I have had no problems at all. Changed the oil and filter at 8 hours,used Royal Purple 30w synthetic and a NAPA gold 1394 filter. I just won and received a 1000lb- 4inch travel linear actuator from Ebay that is going to be mounted on my sleeve hitch to power it. I have had the deck off to clean it a few times, a very easy job. I do see a set of loaded ag tread tires in my future,as well as a box scraper(Brinly) and a landscape rake. I have plans to add an oil pressure gauge and a 12volt power outlet. I'll get some pics posted as soon as I get a digital camera.

#23 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted August 31, 2010 - 02:07 PM

Thanks for that update. We'll be looking forward to the photos you are required by law to post here showing your powered sleeve hitch when you get it completed. The box scraper will certainly test your Dixon. You may need wheel weights in addition to the tire loading. Are you aware of beet juice being used as tire ballast because it is close to the weight of calcium chloride?

#24 TooTall999 OFFLINE  

TooTall999

• 2 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted September 01, 2010 - 02:23 AM

Yes, I have a Rim Guard dealer nearby.I figure with the loaded tires and 275lbs of weight in the seat(me), it should be a good start.

#25 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted September 01, 2010 - 05:24 AM

I am excited to see your project come along. It is nice getting actual use reviews of different garden tractors. You should get a digital camera that also does video....hint hint. LOL

#26 tmaz OFFLINE  

tmaz

• Member No: 3325
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted May 13, 2011 - 02:17 PM

Just purchased a Dixon D26KH54 from a local (non-big-box store). The unit arrived without the Sleeve Hitch. Not sure if it was just an omission but I asked the dealer to look into it. Does anyone know if this is supposed to be supplied? During my mower search, I was not much impressed with any of the new Deere "D" series. For about the same money as D170 I feel the Dixon is way ahead in features. I have 2+ acres to mow, and my 16 year old Cub 2035 (42" deck) is getting a little tired. The Dixon is probably more mower than I really need, but on the first time out, the time to cut was knocked down a full hour! The quality and workmanship looks first rate. I also considered the Deere X300 and X500 series but $1500 to $2500 left in my pocket seemed like a better option. I read some of the other blogs, I'd suggest the nay-sayers may want to take at look at Big Blue up-close and personal. But again time will tell.

#27 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 13, 2011 - 02:20 PM

Just purchased a Dixon D26KH54 from a local (non-big-box store). The unit arrived without the Sleeve Hitch. Not sure if it was just an omission but I asked the dealer to look into it. Does anyone know if this is supposed to be supplied? During my mower search, I was not much impressed with any of the new Deere "D" series. For about the same money as D170 I feel the Dixon is way ahead in features. I have 2+ acres to mow, and my 16 year old Cub 2035 (42" deck) is getting a little tired. The Dixon is probably more mower than I really need, but on the first time out, the time to cut was knocked down a full hour! The quality and workmanship looks first rate. I also considered the Deere X300 and X500 series but $1500 to $2500 left in my pocket seemed like a better option. I read some of the other blogs, I'd suggest the nay-sayers may want to take at look at Big Blue up-close and personal. But again time will tell.

Welcome to GTtalk. Would love to see more up close and personal pictures of your new Dixon.

#28 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted May 14, 2011 - 02:52 AM

Welcome to the forum. Would love to see some pics of this tractor.

#29 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted May 14, 2011 - 10:36 AM

If you read this thread carefully, you will see that my issue with Dixon had to do with them referring to this tractor as a "GARDEN TRACTOR". Most of us around here, have a fixed set of parameters in our head whenever someone uses that phrase. On the other side of the coin, there are "LAWN TRACTORS" and the John Deeere L Series, LA Series, D Series, X300 and X500 Series are ALL lawn tractors, not garden tractors. Deere saves that designation for the X700 Series and look at the price difference there. That's what this thread was all about. Is Big Blue really a true Garden Tractor or has Dixon over-reached themselves in their advertising? To me, a true garden tractor will have a hydraulic three-point CAT O hitch available. You should be able to order it from the factory with Ag tires on the back. Dixon should be offering ground-engaging implements such as disc harrows, cultivators, turning plows and a roto-tiller for both sleeve and 3 pt hitches. If you want to be a player, then come to the ball field with all the equipment needed to play the game. If not, then go sit in the bleachers and watch the real players like everyone else does.

However, you are not looking for a GT because you were considering a D-Series Deere which is as far from a GT as one can get. Personally, I think that you made an excellent choice and I hope that your Dixon serves you well for at least as many years as you got from your MTD Cub.

#30 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted May 14, 2011 - 03:20 PM

To me, a true garden tractor will have a hydraulic three-point CAT O hitch available.

Just curious since we are talking about what constitutes a GT, would you consider the Sears Suburban line a GT? The SS12 I had is what started me on the GT path. I felt that it was a great starter tractor for someone who did not know if they would be interested in this type of hobby or someone that did not know the capabilities of what a Gt is capable of. As a starter tractor it is very resonable in intial purchase cost, parts are easily obtainable, easy to repair, and attachments are abundant. I grew up on craftsman LTs and had no idea what a GT was capable of. The SS12 changed that for me. I have started to upgrade to bigger and better GTs, but the Suburban line is still a great basic GT in my opinon.