#1 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted October 22, 2011 - 08:11 PM

I brought my winter project MF 1655 into the shop today just to see if I could get the Onan 24 performer to fire up.After putting in a battery and taking the air cleaner off I spun it over with the starter.Poured a bit of gas into the carb and it ran.It would run as long as I fed it gas.I was also able to see that the hydro moves the tractor and even makes the tires spin.Anyway at least seeing and hearing it run/move eased my mind that its going to be a keeper.Now what surpised me was that when I was outside and looking at it something seemed to look strange. After looking at it closer I can see that the tractors frame about where the oil drain hole is bent in on the left side and pushed out on the right side.It looks like it can be about 2" pushed sideways in that area.Being such a heavy built tractor makes me wonder how did that frame get bent like that.It had the snowblower mounted on the front so I'am wondering if somebody was in high gear and hit something that stopped the tractor dead in its tracks.Guess I'll never know but it sure makes one wonder how this could happen.Guess I'll have to pull the motor now and straighten the frame,shouldn't be too hard to do.I'll have to take some pics of the bent frame once the motor is out as its pretty hard to take a downwards pic especially with that big Onan sitting in the way.Larry

#2 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted October 22, 2011 - 08:52 PM

That will be a nice tractor with 42lbft of torque

#3 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted October 22, 2011 - 09:04 PM

Larry
I can not imagine how someone could have bent that frame that way. My best guess would be they lost it off a trailer and it did a few summer-salt in the road. Take a look at the front axle and see if you can find anything that would indicate damage. They run 10 MPH wide open but the poor driver would be launched if he hit something solid at that speed with just one of the front wheels.
The old girl is well worth saving though.

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,353 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted October 23, 2011 - 05:51 AM

I hope it is something that can be easily straightened. Sounds like a good one to get going again.

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 23, 2011 - 06:12 AM

That must have taken a lot to bend that frame.

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 23, 2011 - 07:13 AM

I wonder if it got hit by another vehicle. If it got backed into by a truck or something that could do a lot of damage without much speed being involved. I would think that the blower or hitch would be damaged before the frame if the blower hit something. Some pictures would be good. I'm curious. It would take a lot of force to damage it like that.

#7 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted October 23, 2011 - 08:54 AM

I wonder if it got hit by another vehicle. If it got backed into by a truck or something that could do a lot of damage without much speed being involved. . It would take a lot of force to damage it like that.

I thought about that as well about it being hit somewhere.However its hard to tell as there's no real out of the ordinary marks on anything.The floor board looks in very nice shape so to take a hit on that side I don't know.Plus the motor shroud has no dents etc either.Who knows could have happened even before the newer Onan was installed in it.Still going to be a nice project to fix up.Once I pull the motor I'll beable to take a dowwards pic showing the bend better.I'll try a pic in awhile with the way it is and see if it shows the bend.As for the hood who ever put the motor in cut a hole into the hood where the oil dip stick sticks out plus cut a longer hole into the gas tank fill area???? Larry

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,556 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted October 23, 2011 - 09:13 AM

Just a wild thought, but could they have intentionally bent the frame to align the crankshaft to the driveshaft???? Seems that if it were aligned before it bent, that things would be way too far off-line to work at all, unless it doesn't have rear pto?????.