• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 wobbly OFFLINE  

wobbly

• Member No: 6318
  • 6 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted October 22, 2011 - 05:49 PM

I rescued an a 1970's 10A with a Kohler 10 hp engine. It still had spark but did not run. Years of sitting in the rain had rusted the carb solid and the fuel tank was full of rust and holes. After checking the price of parts to rebuild the Kohler I decided to put a Carroll Stream 10 hp diesel engine in its place. I used a Bruce Guthrie conversion kit and had to buy a gear, pilot bearing, and gaskets from Gravely. The diesel is a larger engine than the old Kohler so I had to stretch the engine mount and make longer handlebar support brackets. At Mr. Guthrie's suggestion, I made two new brace/brackets to connect to the two free holes in the bottom front of the engine. The diesel seems to have a lot of power and I hope these brackets will arrest some of the extra torque.
The engine manufacturer reccommends that the first 20 hours of running be at low load/low speed. I am breaking it in with an old sickle bar mower, that is about the lightest load I can imagine.
This is a preservation not a restoration. I used quality paint but have no interest in trying to match original factory colors. Placement of the fuel tank, air cleaner and exhaust manifold proved to be quite the challenge. It is a one of a kind. I guess I am done bragging. Thank you WobblyDiesel Gravely 010.jpg
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted October 22, 2011 - 06:22 PM

You did a great conversion job, thanks for sharing.

#3 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted October 22, 2011 - 08:32 PM

Nice job on the re-power, it looks like it was meant to be in there. Please keep us informed on the performance and reliability of that engine. I'm planning on using the same engine to re-power one of my massey mf10's as soon as I sell off a few things and clear some in progress projects.

#4 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted October 22, 2011 - 08:45 PM

Nice work! Looks factory. I am looking forward to hear how it does after break in. It is hard to get my L to load down, i bet that diesel will never notice anything on the front of the 10A.

#5 wobbly OFFLINE  

wobbly

• 6 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted October 23, 2011 - 06:09 PM

I don't think I am on the member map; kinda new here....wobbly

#6 wobbly OFFLINE  

wobbly

• 6 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted October 23, 2011 - 06:26 PM

I used it for 2 hours today mowing high weeds, wild rose bushes, small, very small trees. I set the engine at about 1/3 throttle. The engine never loaded even those moments when I stuck the sickle-bar on larger trees. It simply over-rode the attachment clutch until I got the sickle bar un-stuck. I am very afraid of running out of fuel because of priming the fuel line. The tank was down only 1/2" after two hours running at fast idle. It doesn't seem to use fuel. The Kohler style muffler still has the price tag on it after running the engine for 2 hours...it doesn't make heat like a gasser. I'll quit bragging and give you guys a break! Thanks...wobbly

#7 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted October 23, 2011 - 06:54 PM

I'll quit bragging and give you guys a break! Thanks...wobbly

I'd like to hear anything you have to say about that engine. So far it sounds great and I'm itching to get one.

#8 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted October 23, 2011 - 07:13 PM

First of all thanks for posting about your project! Second of all, Your not going to believe how much power you are going to have available for the small amount of fuel that you will burn. Small diesels are just incredible. I know it will probably be spring before you have a chance to really work your Gravely but I'm sure I can speak for others in saying that we will be awaiting your reports.
Good luck.

#9 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4180
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted October 23, 2011 - 07:50 PM

Was thinking about repowering a 1256 Bolens with one of those so am very interested in how yours turns out. Very well done repower. Looks about factory.

#10 BcKc OFFLINE  

BcKc

• Member No: 6490
  • 14 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted October 23, 2011 - 11:49 PM

I like the repower Wobbly!
how long did it take to fit it together?
other than the motor being larger is it much heavier?

#11 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 24, 2011 - 04:18 AM

Nice re-power.

#12 wobbly OFFLINE  

wobbly

• 6 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted October 24, 2011 - 10:04 AM

I worked at the conversion about 15/20 hrs. a week. I started the week after Labor Day and finished on 10/20/11. The Bruce Guthrie Repower kit took about 2 hours to fit together. His conversion plate and fittings are exact. The hard part was getting the exhaust, air intake, and fuel tank to fit. Had to add two inches to the main frame/hitch bar so it would clear the recoil rope not found on the old Kohler. This extension forced me to make longer handlebar support brackets. The torque arrestors that connect the front engine base with the axle housing were Mr. Guthrie's idea. This took another two weeks. Once fitted I had to take it apart for painting and reassemble. It really is good therapy. Thank you for asking....wobbly

#13 BcKc OFFLINE  

BcKc

• Member No: 6490
  • 14 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted October 25, 2011 - 12:32 AM

The time spent on it really shows! I wish I could see the little diesel run.
Maybe next winter I will do one also, but I dont think mine would turn out as nice.

#14 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted October 25, 2011 - 10:22 AM

Just a side note, you might very well be able to get by with the smaller 6hp diesel and make the conversion easier. Save some money also to put towards the rest of the conversion.

#15 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 25, 2011 - 09:31 PM

That's one nice machine!!